OME Leaf Springs on 1985 4R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
Well, the time has come. My truck is too tall. Flame away. I don't give a rat's backside. My knees are really protesting the height of the truck, which is currently 4" from a pair of All-Poo front springs, and Alcan in the rear. The rear I'm keeping. They have settled a bit, and I can use a shorter shackle if necessary. But, the front has to go.

A search didn't turn up much of anything. I'm looking for something in the 2" lift range. I have the winch and bumper, so I was thinking the heavy. I've seen some noise that the OME, while rated at 2" lift, are really taller, but settle. I've also heard they don't give much lift over stock. What is the real world experience with OME leaf springs?

I have the OME heavies in the rear. They may have settled slightly after 4 years, but not much. If I remember, I will go out and measure them. I have the original height written down somewhere.

Hi Pappy,

I went out with the tape to measure them. 37.5 inches to the rear fender. They have settled about half an inch, after 3 years or so. I generally have about 300 pounds of weight in the back. Camp gear, water, chainsaw, etc. Truck is a 1990 Extended cab.

Thanks.

Need @yotadude520 to put a tape measure on that red truck of his. OME Heavies in the front, winch (HS9500) and bumper (FROR), they were new in early 2017.

Need @yotadude520 to put a tape measure on that red truck of his. OME Heavies in the front, winch (HS9500) and bumper (FROR), they were new in early 2017.
That is what I need. I have the same bumper and a M9000 Warn. Just about the same setup.

I ran the std (lights? Sure not the heavies) OME fronts on Patch and as a recall it settled out at about 3" of lift. Always felt while getting in and out of it that it was an inch too tall.....

That is what I need. I have the same bumper and a M9000 Warn. Just about the same setup.

I'll put a tape measure on it tonight and get some measurements for ya.

Definitely following this thread - my '84 is A. Too tall, and B. Rides like the leaves are welded together. I think the previous owner opted for the "Should've Bought a Dually" spring packs.

Definitely following this thread - my '84 is A. Too tall, and B. Rides like the leaves are welded together. I think the previous owner opted for the "Should've Bought a Dually" spring packs.
Ya, my All-Poo springs ride like a buckboard.

FWIW the OME's that I used under Patch, coupled with a single Bilstein 5100 worked well enough in the front that I could chase down desert race trucks on the dirt access roads. Most of the racers that rode in the truck were amazed at how well such a simple set-up worked and rode. I do recall removing the shortest leaf in each pack before installing them.

I used A-P hoops to install the 5100's, but were I doing it again I use either the F-250 brackets or the Wild Horse's improved version of them (taller), and try like heck to not cut the fender liners.

Too bad your not in Cali Pappy, I have a front std pair of OME you can have. Put about 2” of lift on my 84

Too bad your not in Cali Pappy, I have a front std pair of OME you can have. Put about 2” of lift on my 84
Well, poop. What part of CA?

per google maps he's here: Loomis

Road trip? I'm going to be in Davis tomorrow and could haul them a tiny bit closer to you, here: Google Maps

per google maps he's here: Loomis

Road trip? I'm going to be in Davis tomorrow and could haul them a tiny bit closer to you, here: Google Maps
[sigh] I hate making newbie mistakes. I'll blame it on the lack of morning caffeine.

Hey pappy! Measurement in the front with the same bumper and winch (pretty much) is right under 27" from the center of the wheel.

Hey pappy! Measurement in the front with the same bumper and winch (pretty much) is right under 27" from the center of the wheel.
Ah-oh. That is where I'm at now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom