OME FJ55 suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For those of you looking for a OME suspension kit for a FJ55: here it is.

HZJ75 springs.

The rear springs are heavy duty and a bit longer than the 55 springs. The rear shackle mount needs to be moved back 5" from its stock location. The rear axle remains centered in the wheel well.

The front springs are about an inch longer and will bolt in. They push the axle forward about an inch which looks OK. I will end up doing a Proffitt's Cruisers sprung under shackle reversal and this will allow me to center the front axle in the wheel well for that stock look.

The OME bushings work in the rear since they have 18mm spring pins and shackles. I was lucky enough to have a 1978 FJ55 which also has 18mm spring pins and shackles up front as well. For those of you who have 14mm spring pins/shackles up front, you can run the metal sleeve inside the bushing that comes with some of the OME kits.

I did have to sand the outside of the bushings down about 1/16" on a belt sander to make them fit in the hangers.

Some of you might say that this is a lot of work for doing a suspension lift. Yes, yes it is. It is not a simple bolt on application. But, I for one, am happy with OME products. I would much rather do a little modification than order custom springs.

I found it to be a great solution for my needs. The OME kit rides excellent and I gained 3" of lift using stock shackles. The HZJ75 springs would probably yield a 2.5" lift over stock. My original 55 springs were so tired that it gave me 3" of lift.

Since reacquiring my 55, I have been looking for a suspension lift kit. SOR sells one and I could have ordered custom springs from Alcan, but I wanted to find another solution. One day, I was looking at our pile of leaf springs and noticed the set of 75 springs and got out a tape measure. We happened to have a set of 75 springs laying around as we have bought a few HZJ75 pickups that were used in the mines. I then went out to my 55 and measured and saw that they would work with a little modification. I have about 300 miles on them so far and they ride really well.

Also, the HZJ75 springs are available through any ARB dealer. We just ordered another set of OME HZJ75 springs through Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. We got them in about 10 days. I wanted to wait till we got the springs before posting up as to see the availability in North America. According to Kurt, these springs are available in North America due to the 75 trucks being used in mines.

Hope this helps a few of you out there.

BTW: pic shows a 32X11.50 BFG AT
DSC_0314.JPG

Nice! So, this is an OME lift for HZJ75s? Are these heavies, medium.....do they come that way?

Way to think outside the box! I love to see new solutions for the old pigs!

So the front pretty much drops in? Any other lifts that drop in the rear of the FJ55, or is that unique to the J5x series?

Brian

So the front pretty much drops in? Any other lifts that drop in the rear of the FJ55, or is that unique to the J5x series?

Brian

thats basically unique to the pigs. You have a few (minimal) options. You just need to decide which one will fit your needs the best. It would be interesting to read the specs/ratings on the HZJ springs as opposed to the pig springs. that pickup may be rated for A LOT more than the pig, but that may or may not be a good thing.

Cool find on the springs!

Don't 55's share the same spring as the 40's up front, leaving the rear the only one that needs a substitute?

Yes and No. The 40's and 55's have the same length of front springs but the 55 has the center pin actually centered where the 40 springs are offset.

The HZJ75 springs come in medium and heavy duty. I have the mediums on my 55 and they ride great even unloaded. The springs that we just ordered from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters are the heavies and HOLY SH&T!!!, are they heavy duty. They have 2 more leaves than the mediums and are for carrying some serious weight. The heavies will be going on a HZJ75 pickup that will see some weight.

I would not recommend the heavies for any 55 that is not being loaded. I think they would just ride really hard. Perfect for someone that uses their 55 as an expedition vehicle.

WO, wicked front bumper, thanks for the spring tips
Thanks and Your Welcome.

The front bumper is not finished yet. I still need to do some tube work for the brush guard part of it. That will probably be after I dieselize it.

great info john! thanks for the link kurt! :beer:

so,,, how much? i ask cause my buddy just recently got all new springs for his 55, just wondering if your saving money modifying over his bolt in springs.

Just for reference, here are some stats of some of the FJ55 spring options;

Fj55Springoptions.jpg

Just a little disclaimer - these numbers have been sourced via the internet and in ARB catalogues and have been compiled by me(!). No responsibility if my figures are out!

If you were to go with 60 or 75 springs, different bushes would need to be used. It would also depend on what shackles would be used as 60/75 shackles are approximately 2-4mm wider than 55 shackles.

Check here; Specter Off-Road-Land Cruiser Parts - Page 289-Poly Bushings for spring bush specs - they should have bushes to suit any of the custom spring applications.

My original idea was to remove all of the spring and shackle hangers and replace them with 60 series hangers (from Superior Engineering). That way I could use OME 60 springs all around. In then end I used a set of 2nd hand OME front springs, but use the original 55 main leaf. In the rear I used the original main leaf along with some of the original leaves, but then added some leaves from a 2nd hand set of 3" 60 series front springs. Cost was $0!

Very cool to know...

Did you grind off the old shackle mount and re-weld, or source new?

Any complications with the gas tank?

i plasma cut the rivots on the rear shackle hangers and then used an air chisel to remove the shackle mounts. I reused the OE 55 shackle mounts by moving them back.

No problems with the OEM gas tank.

so,,, how much? i ask cause my buddy just recently got all new springs for his 55, just wondering if your saving money modifying over his bolt in springs.

My springs were free as they were laying around the shop. But I went on to OldManEmu.com to get a price as I am not in front of the shop computer right now where I have access to the ARB price list which we are a dealer of. According to oldmanemu.com (which is a good retail price list), they are:

Front 75 springs CS006F $131/each
Rear 75 springs CS006R $249/each
spring bushings for all 4 leaf springs $100

So you are looking right at $860 for the leaf springs and bushings + shipping. I went ahead and used my factory 55 shackles. If you went with the OME shackles, it would be a bit more spendy.

Just for reference, here are some stats of some of the FJ55 spring options;

Thanks for that. That is a great reference.

If you were to go with 60 or 75 springs, different bushes would need to be used. It would also depend on what shackles would be used as 60/75 shackles are approximately 2-4mm wider than 55 shackles.

I simply shaved down the OME bushings a little with a belt sander to make them fit. Not a big deal. I bet there is an Energy bushing set that would work. I came across a website awhile ago with all the sizes and specs of the Energy bushings. It was great but I can't seem to find it any more. Who knows, there may be a bushing that will just work with the 75 springs and the 55 hangers with no mods necessary?

My original idea was to remove all of the spring and shackle hangers and replace them with 60 series hangers (from Superior Engineering). That way I could use OME 60 springs all around. In then end I used a set of 2nd hand OME front springs, but use the original 55 main leaf. In the rear I used the original main leaf along with some of the original leaves, but then added some leaves from a 2nd hand set of 3" 60 series front springs. Cost was $0!

Free is always good.

I simply shaved down the OME bushings a little with a belt sander to make them fit. Not a big deal. I bet there is an Energy bushing set that would work. I came across a website awhile ago with all the sizes and specs of the Energy bushings. It was great but I can't seem to find it any more. Who knows, there may be a bushing that will just work with the 75 springs and the 55 hangers with no mods necessary?

I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread?

In Aus, Noltec buch Part #N72127 is the same as the FJ55 bush, but is 35mm OD instead of 30mm. I think a bush on the SOR website was suitable as well. I was all ready to do this when I was given a complete set of 2nd hand OME 60 springs.

I hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread?

In Aus, Noltec buch Part #N72127 is the same as the FJ55 bush, but is 35mm OD instead of 30mm. I think a bush on the SOR website was suitable as well. I was all ready to do this when I was given a complete set of 2nd hand OME 60 springs.
I don't mind you hijacking this thread. You have given some great info it's all about the 55's and OME suspensions. Thanks for all the info you have given.

For those of you looking for a OME suspension kit for a FJ55: here it is.

HZJ75 springs.

The rear springs are heavy duty and a bit longer than the 55 springs. The rear shackle mount needs to be moved back 5" from its stock location. The rear axle remains centered in the wheel well.

The front springs are about an inch longer and will bolt in. They push the axle forward about an inch which looks OK. I will end up doing a Proffitt's Cruisers sprung under shackle reversal and this will allow me to center the front axle in the wheel well for that stock look.

The OME bushings work in the rear since they have 18mm spring pins and shackles. I was lucky enough to have a 1978 FJ55 which also has 18mm spring pins and shackles up front as well. For those of you who have 14mm spring pins/shackles up front, you can run the metal sleeve inside the bushing that comes with some of the OME kits.

I did have to sand the outside of the bushings down about 1/16" on a belt sander to make them fit in the hangers.

Some of you might say that this is a lot of work for doing a suspension lift. Yes, yes it is. It is not a simple bolt on application. But, I for one, am happy with OME products. I would much rather do a little modification than order custom springs.

I found it to be a great solution for my needs. The OME kit rides excellent and I gained 3" of lift using stock shackles. The HZJ75 springs would probably yield a 2.5" lift over stock. My original 55 springs were so tired that it gave me 3" of lift.

Since reacquiring my 55, I have been looking for a suspension lift kit. SOR sells one and I could have ordered custom springs from Alcan, but I wanted to find another solution. One day, I was looking at our pile of leaf springs and noticed the set of 75 springs and got out a tape measure. We happened to have a set of 75 springs laying around as we have bought a few HZJ75 pickups that were used in the mines. I then went out to my 55 and measured and saw that they would work with a little modification. I have about 300 miles on them so far and they ride really well.

Also, the HZJ75 springs are available through any ARB dealer. We just ordered another set of OME HZJ75 springs through Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. We got them in about 10 days. I wanted to wait till we got the springs before posting up as to see the availability in North America. According to Kurt, these springs are available in North America due to the 75 trucks being used in mines.

Hope this helps a few of you out there.

BTW: pic shows a 32X11.50 BFG AT
View attachment 207645

Very interested in doing this to my 1977 FJ55,

Looking at buying a full terrain tamer suspension HZJ75 suspension kit for the car.

What have you guys done for shocks???

Looking at something like this:

From what I gather the only modifications I'll have to do are:

1. Move rear hanger back 5 inches

2. Grind a bit off the bushes to make them fit?

Then the rear should sit in the factory spot and the front only one inch forward?

Pic of my Piggy for attention, cheers legends!

thumbnail.jpg

I love the FJ55, but I am totes jelly on that Troopy.

Very interested in doing this to my 1977 FJ55,

Looking at buying a full terrain tamer suspension HZJ75 suspension kit for the car.

What have you guys done for shocks???

Looking at something like this:

From what I gather the only modifications I'll have to do are:

1. Move rear hanger back 5 inches

2. Grind a bit off the bushes to make them fit?

Then the rear should sit in the factory spot and the front only one inch forward?

Pic of my Piggy for attention, cheers legends!
Congrats and welcome to the madness! My pig has the full OME kit, shocks and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom