Older than dirt - refreshing a ‘64 FJ40 FST (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the hood sitting in place, not terribly pleased with the fit. Hood appears to be warped, which I couldn't tell before since the rest of the front sheet metal was all whacked out. Going to have to try to massage it some.

Got the hood sitting in place, not terribly pleased with the fit. Hood appears to be warped, which I couldn't tell before since the rest of the front sheet metal was all whacked out. Going to have to try to massage it some.
Not sure where it is warped, But too many times when people do a frame off resto they bolt the tub down without the hood on. This is mainly for side to side and front to back shifting. Fender gap to apron is critical and fender height. It is a tough time consuming job. But reward able. Keep up the good work. John

Not sure where it is warped, But too many times when people do a frame off resto they bolt the tub down without the hood on. This is mainly for side to side and front to back shifting. Fender gap to apron is critical and fender height. It is a tough time consuming job. But reward able. Keep up the good work. John
I'll loosen the tub back up a bit, John. I did leave it loose while fitting the fenders and bib, and took a pile of measurements to try to verify that those parts were correct. Then I cinched it down. Worth re-checking.

Good, but prepare to slot the front fenders a little, and double check the front apron shim thickness.
Thanks for the tips, John. After doing some more checks, I have determined that the tub is offset to one side just a bit, and—of course—the hood is offset the same. I suspect correcting the tub will fix my issue.

Might not get back to that for a couple of days, I've got some activities piling up for the weekend with the other hobby car club. Monday, for sure.

Truck is georgous and inspiring me to clean up some loose ends on my 64 fst.

Do you happen to have a good pic of your engine bay? Would love to compare it to mine so I know what needs attention?

Thanks to the tip from @pardion about not bolting down the tub until the hood was fitted. After loosening all the body mounts, I made a small shift of the tub to the right—maybe an 1/8" or so. That small tweak was all that was needed to get an acceptable fit. The hood now sits straight.

Not perfect, as the hood truly is a bit warped. Both rear corners are off a bit, the right side flares out a bit at back, the left is opposite. But that is actually not a big deal, now that the hood is centered over the bib and aprons correctly.

Do you happen to have a good pic of your engine bay? Would love to compare it to mine so I know what needs attention?
Sure, now you ask for engine bay pics, after the hood is back on!

I'll post some up a bit later. But bear in mind that my engine bay (and engine) is not as refreshed as is the rest of the truck. Somewhat clean and mostly original, but not perfect. That was never my goal. Looking to build a clean example that is nice, but not so nice that I or the next owner will be afraid to get it dirty. So don't get your expectations too high.

IMG_1351.jpg

i'm not even the next owner and i'm afraid for it to get dirty
I'm not, I'm actually looking forward to it. Still planning to take it on a trip to the coast in about 3 weeks.

Powdercoater called this afternoon, the Con-Ferr Sand Bar is done, will pick it up tomorrow. Windshield will go back in early next week. Once those two items are in, then I can finally try fitting the new top. Still need wipers and windshield vent installed too. Then plumb the heater, after one more flush of the cooling system. I think that's the bulk of it.

Oh yeah, got to refurbish the parking brake stuff and get that hooked up too.

Oh, forgot the biggest part yet remaining—recovering and restoring the pair of soft doors.

Nov. 28, 2017, one of your early posts has my favorite before pic. Not bad for an upside down bezel rig.
Your gonna miss your Sand Bar work bench..

Your gonna miss your Sand Bar work bench..
Already do. Was really handy. The Sand Bar is sitting behind the truck right now. Hoping to co-opt one of the neighbors tomorrow to get it up into the rig. Want to get to fitting the top as soon as I can.

Back at it today, after a day off abusing the tires on the Porsche at a driver skills clinic.

Sand bar is mounted. Top frame back in place. Heater blower wired and tested. Parking brake mechanism reinstalled.

Tomorrow we have an appointment to have the windshield reinstalled. Will begin fitting the new top after I get it back home. Will still need wipers, windshield vent, horns and winch. Then new wire rope, chain and hook for the winch.

Now that the suspension has more freedom of movement with the new shackle bushings, the rig has developed "cruiser lean". Looks like 20-25mm low on the driver's side. Will need to source a correction block or two.

IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1356.jpg

Back at it today, after a day off abusing the tires on the Porsche at a driver skills clinic.

Sand bar is mounted. Top frame back in place. Heater blower wired and tested. Parking brake mechanism reinstalled.

Tomorrow we have an appointment to have the windshield reinstalled. Will begin fitting the new top after I get it back home. Will still need wipers, windshield vent, horns and winch. Then new wire rope, chain and hook for the winch.

Now that the suspension has more freedom of movement with the new shackle bushings, the rig has developed "cruiser lean". Looks like 20-25mm low on the driver's side. Will need to source a correction block or two.

View attachment 1801018

View attachment 1801019
Looks great, As far as the "Cruiser Lean" wait until you have the tire rack and tire on, Full gas tank, and bounce it a bit over some speed bumps. Something not to do in a Porsche.

Looks great, As far as the "Cruiser Lean" wait until you have the tire rack and tire on, Full gas tank, and bounce it a bit over some speed bumps. Something not to do in a Porsche.
Good thought, John. Since both the tank and the spare on on the high side, the lean may not be as pronounced as it looks now.

And yes, I forgot to note that I still have to put the spare carrier on the rig, want to wait until after I get the top fitted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom