Oil pan/ side cover gasket stuff....(FAQ) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not to give Poser a hard time, but when I first saw his picture I
imagined myself trying to replace the rear main seal with the
flywheel in place. It took me a minute to come to my senses.

petescoffee said:
...Now how about the timing cover. I can't get that to seal up. I think my cover flange is warped from coming on and off from leaking and the original rebuild.
Dave

Dave,

You will need to confirm that the shop that did your rebuild did not bottom out your oil squirter on the block. This will push the plate away from the block and result in leaking.

Don't ask me how I know this one either!

I did a thread on my repair. Search should turn it up in this forum (40 tech)

May the Force be with you!

PabloCruise said:
Dave,

You will need to confirm that the shop that did your rebuild did not bottom out your oil squirter on the block. This will push the plate away from the block and result in leaking.

Don't ask me how I know this one either!

I did a thread on my repair. Search should turn it up in this forum (40 tech)

May the Force be with you!

Mine is leaking at the bottom of the cover. I can see where I Over tightened the bolts as trying to to make it flat. The gasket has squueezed out enough to drip.

done!!!!! just follow Posers instructions and its easy , ran it for about 30 minutes and pulled the flywheel off nothing have a good one

Poser said:
I also put some sealant on the ends of the gasket around the last holes in the gasket, as I think Toyota may mention in the FSM. I am pretty sure that I am going beyond what Toyota suggests.

I have searched my FSM up and down for the oil pan gasket replacement instructions but do not see them. Can someone tell me where they are?

Poser: Do you find you need to let the rig sit after taking the pan off to keep oil from seeping onto the clean edge?

And I noticed several people said they waited a day (?) before re-instaling the pan w/ new gasket. Why?

Probably to let most of the oil drain off things so you're not under there bathing in raining oil.

I don't think there's anything in the FSM as detailed as Poser's instructions. I think there is only a suggestion on where to place gasket sealer.

If you follow Poser's instructions it will be a breeze. Right before putting the gasket in place wipe down the mating surface with de-greaser or lacquer thinner.

This is real time...

I got the clutch cover off which let me see the oil pan better (will also make it easier to install the new clutch fork boot).

however, after getting all the bolts off the oil pan (they were pretty darn loose!) I can't get the pan to budge. What's the trick?

Lay a block of wood against the pan down low near the sump and tap on it with a mallet or hammer. Start easy and go gradually harder, move side to side every few hits. Worked for me. Most important thing for a good seal IMO is a clean surface to seal against. It's a PITA but if you spend some time with a 3M scouring pad or scotch brite or what ever after you've scrapped what you can scrap and scrub it with brake cleaner or acetone or the like till it looks like a freshly machined surface, then it will seal with almost any of the sealers suggested, maybe even with none. I am however a big fan of Gaskacinch, Ultra black/ grey, and 3M black weather strip adhesive.

Victory!

I couldn't get it to budge with a mallet or blocks of wood. I was patient. Then I went to town on the gasket with a long flat blade screw-driver and a hammer. I probably bent the lip of the oil pan, but I already ordered a new one so it doesn't really matter.

Now to get all the old cork off. It is REALLY REALLY stuck on there....

Thanks for all the help folks!

Good stuff. Gettin knowledged up to take care of mine. Just to clarify, you need to remove the tranny in order to replace the rear seal. Thanx, Marco

Good stuff. Gettin knowledged up to take care of mine. Just to clarify, you need to remove the tranny in order to replace the rear seal. Thanx, Marco

In no uncertain terms: YES! :D

Thanks Poser.Your timing is perfect.I'm doing side cover/timing cover/oil pan tomorrow.Got that engine way up on the cherry picker.Doing front and rear seals and thrust bearing too.I'm about sick of cork though.:D the air tool and wire wheel are going with me tomorrow and a good scrub with Acetone.I'll follow your advice to the letter.Appreciate it,Thanks.:beer:

What is the torque pressure on the oil pan bolts? :( No FSM..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom