Official Keystone RC thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is the whole body, bed and all. I will have to fab a panel for the rear of the cab from styrene.
I think it will be cool... I'm hoping it ultimately looks as cool as it does in my head.

Last edited:
Progress from last night:
IMG_20180718_222518.jpg
IMG_20180718_235642.jpg
IMG_20180718_235708.jpg

take coming together!!:bounce:

What is the center to center track width of your rc trucks? Mine is 8" is the Axial and TRX4 about the same?

image.jpg

Added some heavy bling... Treal 93g brass portal covers. They are very nice and machined well.
IMG_20180721_111411.jpg
IMG_20180721_111415.jpg

I think I need some better lighting for pictures.
Headed to the hobby shop today (eeek!) for some bits and bobs, like a servo wire extension and some styrene to build out the bottom rear of the 70 cab. I bet I walk out of there with way too much stuff.

Sooooo, been researching a bit looking at getting a rig for "cough cough" JJ. So far the trail honcho sx10ii is a very strong contender, though the thought of being denied the selectable lockers and 2 speed trans is making the decision tough. Ultimately it would be cool to mount the double cab Tacoma body on whatever chassis I select. Thoughts and opinions are welcome on helping me make a decision. If I went Trx4 route it seems the cheapest option would be to buy the tactical body then I could swap it out for the Tacoma body. Stump that's a sweet build so far those axles look beefy with those covers.

You can't go wrong with a Axial or Traxas! The cheaper RC's are good but you do get what you pay for. I've had to upgrade the motor, the lockers, and the driveshafts in my Redcat E10

The Slash and Raith are also good bashers for a seven year old.
The TRX was not designed as a basher, just a very durable crawler and seems to hold up to it just fine.
The Asender is a good single speed crawler.
The Axcil SCX10 II chassis anything is certainly capable, upgradable and durable.

The Slash and Raith are also good bashers for a seven year old.
The TRX was not designed as a basher, just a very durable crawler and seems to hold up to it just fine.
The Asender is a good single speed crawler.
The Axcil SCX10 II chassis anything is certainly capable, upgradable and durable.

I can't remember which one has the option to upgrade the transfer case to a 2 speed. I think it may be the SCX10II.
I am also intrigued by the Yeti Jr., Or the Losi micro/mini crawler.

The scx10-2 you can upgrade the trans to a 2 speed or a digger.

IMG_20180722_212529.jpg
IMG_20180722_212523.jpg
IMG_20180724_221532.jpg
IMG_20180724_224425.jpg
Getting there.
Leave it to me to try to over achieve on my first scratch RC build.
Customization already happening to get the cab to fit "just right" on the chassis.

Oh, and what are your thoughts on the planned color scheme? It is based on the 1981 minitruck paint option, with sand instead of white because, well, why not?
Ignore the rear bed for know since it isn't going on right away.
IMG_20180724_213544.jpg

Took a drive to hobby town -very cool place! Went in with the idea of getting the trail honcho and after talking to the salesman who was also into crawlers ended up buying the honcho! Also bought an ultra power upac100 plus charger and a Radient Superpax 3s 11.1v 5000mah battery and charging bag. Going to bust it out with the little man Friday when I get off work. I have been reading up on these Lipo batteries and have to admit I’m a bit leary of the fire potential of these little bastards. Going to pick up an ammo can to store the thing in. Stump looking good!

Got some stamped beadlock wheels to replace the plastic ones. I figured it would just be a huge PITA to unglue the tires from the cheap stock ones later on, so what better time than now.
They were a bit of a pain to assemble, though, from reading, it seems the proline inner beadlock rings are the way to go, so they are on their way.
I do like the look of them and it will make replacing tires simpler in the future.
So, my total weight per corner, including the portal weights, is now about 300g or 10.5 oz; which means I added about 2.5 lbs to the lower section of the truck. It definately "sticks" to obstacles.
IMG_20180727_230446.jpg

I also upgraded the battery tray to a Bowhouse low CG tray and rear frame support/shock mount. The frame support is necessary to run 3s lipo batteries, as it provides room for it to lie flat.
I also already got the esc fan to kick on with about 5-10 minutes of driving, which tells me these ESCs heat up pretty quick and I'm glad I decided to get one.
IMG_20180728_123540.jpg
IMG_20180728_123525.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom