Off Road trailer size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
On my last two weekend 4wheeling/camping trips I’ve rented a small tear drop style camper from Hykoutdoors.

EBC18312-2761-430B-B90A-DC4AD3B6B11B.jpeg

I really like this for weekend trips with the local club but have only used it to stay in a campground and haven’t tried running any trails with it. The camper in the PIC is a 5x8 trailer. It was surprisingly comfortable and has worked great for a couple days of camping. I did one trip solo and one with a buddy.

What I'm wondering is how towing something like this would really be on trails like the alpine loop in Ouray. When using a little camper like this, I'd mostly be just taking it on roads or maybe fire roads to camping sites and setting up a base camp in the area but I'd like to be able to take a trail like Engineer Pass to get to Ouray and then set up base camp. I've done Engineer and I the only issue I really see is two way traffic and maybe some of the hairpins. Oregon Trailer makes one that is smaller at 48" wide. I know smaller would be better on tight trails but a 60" trailer is narrower that a 200 so I wonder if going to 48" wide really gives you much in maneuverability on tight trails.

I'd like to hear form those taking trailers like this off road and how realistic/practical it is to run trails like Engineer, Cinnamon, Ophir and maybe Imogene.

Below is my setup, it’s bigger than what you’re thinking about, it’s as wide as my 200 and 17 feet long at 4500lbs totally loaded. The trip pictured below included a lot of dirt and what I found is anything rated a 3/3 on the trails off road app is doable… except for one place I encountered on the Rimrocker trail, I had a clearance issue with my swing out bumper and my propane box. This is being rectified now with the fabrication of a new trailer tongue.

A fellow Conqueror owner took his, which is identical to mine on Alpine loop and completed it, his tow vehicle is a well built Gladiator. However, he said he wouldn’t do that again, on coming traffic and a couple of the turns made for difficult driving. A smaller camper would likely alleviate a lot of that hassle but not entirely, especially if you’re blessed with a lot of traffic on a popular trail. The size of the one you posted could do Alpine and Ophir, Imogen had some dicey spots that you may need to get creative with.

We camp with kids 5 and 6 yrs old so to do multi week with remote camping having the camper is a major plus. We camped in some killer spots that had no people for days. We did some single nights and multi nights, for single nights we just don’t get as unpacked, we’ve been in this camper for a few years so we have it down to a science, even single nights we can get out of dodge rather quick. If anything, the camper is a killer base camp allowing you to explore or run the more difficult trails while having a sweet campsite waiting on you after a long day on the trails.

One thing you must keep in mind is turning around. If you encounter an obstruction or something that’s impassible your options are to back out, turn around, or remove the obstruction. Most of the time these options all suck with varying degrees of suckage. Planning that includes reading trail descriptions and hitting up Facebook groups who frequent the trails and areas are very valuable.

Editing to add: not all of the offroad campers are truly offroad. Look at the suspension and construction materials closely. Wood campers will not last, suspensions built for the pavement will take massive punishment on trails. Be prepared for some creative repairs.

175F6959-3AFD-4033-BDC3-093BB39268D0.jpeg

B6280BCE-92F1-494D-A32A-A855271F5DF2.jpeg
A60305DA-B764-4BCD-B29D-7A1EB71612A4.jpeg

Alpine route seems possible with a trailer, but there would be some very stressful sections. We wound up base camping at Amphitheater outside of Ouray and doing trails during the day and that worked out well. The gentleman planning our route was in a JLU on 37s with lots of experience, and he opted to leave his turtleback behind.

PS: any interest in doing the high watermark trail just before thanksgiving? I was planning on leaving KC early Monday and returning Wednesday. Cheers!

I think the main issue with trailers is the two way traffic as pointed out above. I have towed a trailer on the Shafer Trail and up the switchbacks which have fairly good sight lines (I would not want to attempt them headed down - the prospect of needing to back up a trailer uphill on a ledge trail is not in my wheelhouse). I am sure guys with a lot of off road towing experience would say it's not a problem. I guess just know your own limits - it's trailer skills, not the trailer that is the limiting factor.

The trailer I have can go pretty much anywhere my LC can go, and part of our travel fun is selecting point to point routes. Having said that, I pick the thru trails that have a minimum of pinch points (or pucker points). Wide open roads like the one to Alstrom are beautiful rides without a lot of drama. Three hours navigating a ledge trail wondering if the next blind turn will have me face to face with a convoy of Jeeps needing to get around me and the trailer is not enjoyable to me. For something like that I would unhook and attempt it without the trailer in tow.
Alstrom.jpeg.jpg

I know zip about this, but a guy I have done trips with built a custom trailer based off a military trailer, and he made a custom frame for it where the track width matches his tow vehicle and the distance between the hitch and the wheels is ideal to make sure the trailer tracks with the vehicle. He said the math was pretty simple, but he's also a natural at that kind of thing. I've seen him run some really tough trails with it in tow, and it works as designed. Incidentally, he also has the hubs match his vehicle so the trailer and tow vehicle share wheels and spares. All good stuff.

I can't imagine having even a small camper on narrow trails where issues of two way traffic, switchbacks and wondering how I'd turn around if the path was blocked, dealing with large obstructions, but then again, that could be part of the adventure?

Under projection and hitch articulation, i tow a mission overland camper on every trip we take…never had an issue. Obviously there are limitations but, I have seen some gnarly trails in Australia where dudes take trailers.

7D558837-E1EB-43AB-89A7-C218F73B80F1.jpeg

Deciding on the right trailer is a tricky thing. I'd advise renting first, if possible, to sort out your needs. I had previously owned a CDN M101 with CVT RTT. That worked, but wasn't ideal. We also considered Turtleback seriously. The trouble with the Turtle is there is very limited storage, so your gear ends up in the truck. Our goal with this is to be able to tow with all three rows of seats in place and have minimal clutter in the truck.

So... we have a 2023 Overkill SO 5.10 Pop Top on order. Overkill is a smaller shop in Bend, Ore. It was nice to be able to make multiple visits to get all of our questions answered. Far from an inexpensive proposition and you want to make sure you have it dialed to meet your needs.

1668442299355.png

We rented the one below from Rove last summer and it was in horrible shape, completely beat to death. We were convinced that we'd never buy one until spending time with Overkill owner Dave Poe. The Rove that we rented should have been taken out of service due to abuse. The new and updated trailer from Overkill is really something.

For a family of 5 (plus dog) being able to accommodate all of us is tricky with most trailers. The slide-out feature plus pop top of the Overkill is a true game changer. Having a settee bench/table inside provides an option for being out of the weather. Ventilation is great. Our version will have a diesel furnace/water heater plus electric A/C. Current versions even have the option of glycol tubing floor heat. The trailer has been tested on up to a 60 degree side slope and doesn't roll. It's also (AFAIK) the only overland trailer that is DOT certified. That means there is proper engineering to support all highway requirements. 2,300 lbs empty. Rear receiver for bike rack or recovery point.

There's definitely a 'Goldilocks' problem with trailers. A smaller trailer is definitely better for the tight stuff. Something like an Airstream would be a much more comfortable house. For us, this seemed to be the best compromise for our intended uses.

We had also seriously considered an Xpedition trailer. Stacey and Artie from Xpedition are really good folks and they make a great trailer. While the Xped has a foam bed/couch futon it doesn't have stand-up movement. Nor did it have a true chair-height table for eating/working. For us, the ability to sit at a table inside was a game changer in utility. Also considered was a Patriot X3. The Pat, however, has the same problem as the Turtle; very little storage inside. And while it is a sit-in trailer, it's canvas top wasn't what we wanted. Being able to trough big bags, boxes of shoes/boots, fishing gear, inflatable kayaks, etc. inside the trailer is a really handy tool.

1668442171654.png

Last edited:
what?

I haven't taken my trailer on Imogene or Engineer. It could do Engineer, but not sure I would take it on Imogene. Two way traffic on that pass would be a pain. I always camp in Ouray when I do those trails. I take it offroad where you keep moving and a base camp isnt practical

Something I haven't done lately and need to do more off.

Camped in Moab for all those trails. Camped in Breck to run many in Central Colorado. Camped in Ouray for the ones mentioned

Can't take a trailer in the Maze as the permit doesn't allow it so I brought my Alu-Cab RTT

Below was a trip from a couple of years ago up through northern Colorado into Wyoming and then down into Utah

1.JPG
2.JPG
Karavaning.JPG

PS: any interest in doing the high watermark trail just before thanksgiving? I was planning on leaving KC early Monday and returning Wednesday. Cheers!
Sounds fun but that’s not in the cards for me the week of Thanksgiving. I believe that’s the trail that Tornado Alley does sometime in February or so called the “Frozen High Water Mark” event. I’m about to dry dock the 200 for winter modification season.

One thing about my Nucamp T@G Boondock XL, it's light enough to turn around
2C4108DC-BA0C-4CC5-B838-45DBFDF184A5.jpg
on a trail if needed. In addition, I have an articulating hitch set up which keeps it all smooth.

what?

I haven't taken my trailer on Imogene or Engineer. It could do Engineer, but not sure I would take it on Imogene. Two way traffic on that pass would be a pain. I always camp in Ouray when I do those trails. I take it offroad where you keep moving and a base camp isnt practical

Something I haven't done lately and need to do more off.

Camped in Moab for all those trails. Camped in Breck to run many in Central Colorado. Camped in Ouray for the ones mentioned

Can't take a trailer in the Maze as the permit doesn't allow it so I brought my Alu-Cab RTT

Below was a trip from a couple of years ago up through northern Colorado into Wyoming and then down into Utah

View attachment 3167791View attachment 3167792View attachment 3167793

I couldn’t remember if you had done any of the mentioned trails. I quoted you more for the experience of hauling a big trailer.

I owned an AT Horizon for a while and after hauling it off-road for a while... I decided there were better ways to go...
Either an Air stream for a basecamp setup or I wanted to be packed and ready to move in 5 minutes so I built to the that spec.. the 200 is being built the same, setup to sleep in the truck.
It's fold the awning in if it's out, put up a chair and whatever was used for breakfast and head out, should be even faster than my defender since I can't sleep in it.

when I'm camping and moving everyday, I want basically nothing out of the truck in camp except what I am using right now..

If I am going to pull a trailer I want it as a basecamp and to be really comfortable, and I am not too concerned with it going on trials.

Loved it, great trailer.. sold it and not looking back.

I’ve hauled quite a lot and find that ANY trailer is a huge limitation. Whether it’s an empty, 300lb utility, or a 3500lb travel trailer, you will have largely the same limitations. I wouldn’t want to have any trailer on actual off road trails. I like to haul the trailer down a FSR, set up camp, and if wanted, explore without trailer from there.

As with everything pros and cons. I took my Turtleback through the San Rafael Swell (black dragon wash) down south and back up to I-70. It by far was the hardest test for my rig and trailer. The pros are in its ability to go anywhere your rig goes. The cons it is smaller and doesn’t have as many amenities as other trailers.

1C8B4F75-C115-4FDC-AE0A-088863AC2D78.jpeg

DD8803D4-7FF5-42B6-B73C-7EE65704D875.jpeg

0ABADD8E-41E8-49DE-86B4-9CC07D1FD672.jpeg

I have an offroad teardrop camper and my only big beef with it is the inability to stand up. They can go pretty much anywhere but it’s a big trade off. It’s fine for weekends and overnights but it’s basically a glorified all-season tent.

I have an offroad teardrop camper and my only big beef with it is the inability to stand up. They can go pretty much anywhere but it’s a big trade off. It’s fine for weekends and overnights but it’s basically a glorified all-season tent.
For sure. It’s not the choice for just basic dirt roads and campgrounds. It really shines when you get remote and have hot water and gear you otherwise may not have. Or in my case more storage for when I am with the family. I also did not have room in my garage to store a bigger trailer. Storage for me was high on the priority list. I wanted to keep it loaded ready and be able to just hook up and go right from my house. Also did not want to leave outside in the elements when stored. Some day when I have more time to use I will get something more comfortable.

We don't like those tear drops because you can't stand up in them.
Plus they are not fully skid plated and you can get them hung up on rocks.

Ours is fully skid plated and you can drag it over anything.
It's important to be able to get at a 90 degree bend with your trailer if you need to turn around. I have hung ours off the side of a cliff once turning around. A really strong hitch is best.

If you are going up or down a trail where you may need to back up with 2 way traffic, you really want a friend behind you to pull the trailer back straight on the trail if need be.

Very Stock here.

Jeep-trailer-01.jpg

Later with some mods.

trailer-01.jpg

ThIs Last one is at a Camp Ground in OCLA last weekend. You can see it opens up nice with a side tent.

jeep-trailer-ocla.jpg

Last edited:
For those who may have experience towing a boat, toy hauler, or RV, a short-coupled trailer can be a real handful in reverse. Very easy to jackknife. This gets compounded when using a pintle hitch where the slop of the ring allows the reversing trailer to abruptly shift to one side. True respect to drivers who can quickly and precisely maneuver an M416/CDN M101 in reverse.

LC Avatar.jpg

I tow a Patriot X1-H with my LC200. In my experience, if I can get the LC200 through the obstacle, the trailer just follows along. I love having the trailer and truly don't worry about it on the trail.

I did over 10k miles this summer in Canada and Alaska with about 4k of that offroad. One of the challenging trails was the drive into Knik Glacier in Alaska. Certainly got looks from people for having a trailer on some of the obstacles. :)

As for which trailer to go with, there are so many options out there. All have their pros and cons. I ultimately ended up with the Patriot and love it. So much storage space, fantastic galley, 40 gallon of water storage set low in the frame for great center of gravity, rock solid stability with no coil spring suspension kick since it has airbags. If I was a family of 5 or 6, then I would go with the X1 since the change room and kids room can be left attached to the tent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom