OEM Subtank Retrofit/Install Project With Pics (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The poster (serendipity) chose to delte them for some reason.

Bummer. Seemed like he had a unique-ish setup... Right?

Does anyone know if the sending unit has to be clocked in a specific direction for the empty tank switch to function properly? I'm having a problem with a brand new gas sending unit not triggering when the tank is empty so the transfer pump won't shut off on its own. I guess it could be a DOA sending unit but I can't return the part so I'll be out another $70 if I need a replacement.

@iptman I would check connections to the ECU (George or oem) tells the pump to shut off. As for the aux sender unit (brand new oem genuine toyota) I've thought of checking it before mounting by placing it a bucket and see if the float device works. I just bought a aux tank sender unit (petrol) as my sub tank came with the 2 wire only.

Can some one please advise where to purchase the rivnuts online and provide the part number for all 4 of them. I will begin an installation.

The ones posted in the earlier thread were not linked.

Thanks a million.

Brando

Your going to have to use the m10 with 1.5 thread found on grainger . My sub tank set came with the oem m10 1.25 bolts and I could not locate the proper rivnuts

McMaster is the best source for the nutserts, and proper tool for installation. You may also want to look at my earlier post on drilling holes from above for the forward mounts...makes life much easier, as installing nutserts between the frame and body is nearly impossible. Post #126 on Page 7.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/oem-subtank-retrofit-install-project-with-pics.213266/page-7

My pics still exist in Albums, just the links were broken after the Mud upgrade. Page 3 has the front mount hole pics.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/media/albums/oem-subtank-egyptian.1603/

And if you don't want a used tank contact me :) One sitting in shipping right now, big box but not heavy.
what is the price on a new tank now a days?

Final steps to complete my install. Where does this decal go?

14088-1294340169-9ef8d60ec7ebb8ebd62598ccb88d913f.jpg

On the backside of the fuel door.

My wife seems to handle filling/using our subtank without any extra stickers/instructions... But I can imagine that there is possibly some appeal to the strictly correct folk on this forum :)

cheers,
george.

My wife seems to handle filling/using our subtank without any extra stickers/instructions... But I can imagine that there is possibly some appeal to the strictly correct folk on this forum :)

cheers,
george.

Bingo!

Final steps to complete my install. Where does this decal go?

View attachment 1566584
That sticker seems like it would be in the cab. It's telling you to "switch off the sub tank fuel system". Seems like it would be near the switch.
Maybe on the visor or center console. The aussie sub tank equiped 80's had a similar shaped cardboard card that went into one of the clear sun visor pouches with a similar statement.

Is this still an attainable project for someone starting now? Are all the parts still possible to acquire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom