OE Long Travel 200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Total footprint of return trip for two, flights only. Remember that carbon footprint varies by cabin.

Got it.

Envious build - no doubt. Especially on a new Cruiser.

I do hope you post some videos of it mobbing down roads that are off the beaten path.

Got it.

Envious build - no doubt. Especially on a new Cruiser.

I do hope you post some videos of it mobbing down roads that are off the beaten path.

I'm sure we will. My video budget is on hold temporarily due to covid, but we should be able to start shooting again by year end.

Last edited:
Subscribing. I will be interested in what slider you choose given that you are concerned about weight vs protection. I went with ARB Summit sliders because of its relative lightweight, step feature, and ARB quality. If you went this route, then you can get the ARB attachments to connect the slider with your bumper to protect your fenders.

Subscribing. I will be interested in what slider you choose given that you are concerned about weight vs protection. I went with ARB Summit sliders because of its relative lightweight, step feature, and ARB quality. If you went this route, then you can get the ARB attachments to connect the slider with your bumper to protect your fenders.

Heh, Madtiger loves those sliders :D

Didn‘t you mount your switchpro panel over the card slot? Did you use a bracket of some sort? How did you affix the panel there? Thanks for sharing your build.

Alright, got the ARB bumpers, Lightforce HTX2s, Warn Zeon 12-S and SwitchPro 9100's installed. Doing a proper photoshoot with a real photographer tomorrow night, but here's a first photo of all that.

Initial impressions of the above:

- The ARB bumpers are as nice as always. Flawless fit and finish. Glad we skipped the rear swingout, makes using the truck normally so much easier.

- The Lightforce HTX2s are revelatory. These are to other driving lights what good binoculars are to crappy ones, the clarity, totally shadow-free pattern, and lack of glare has to be seen to be believed. From our block in downtown Bozeman, I was able to clearly illuminate an office building half a mile away, through a tree covered street that undulates downhill. Where other lights just brightly illuminate the trees and parked cars and whatnot, these look like you flicked a lightswitch on at the destination of their illumination. The LED floods don't get in the way of the HID spots at all, but still provide as much fill as anything else out there.

- The Warn's a Warn, they thought of everything. Will fit a Factor55 Ultrahook at some point, when I get around to it.

- The SwitchPros are great too. The app is functional (if not that pretty), and the customization potential is really appreciated, given the wide variety of functions they'll eventually control.

Some other takeaways:

- Stock gearing with the 8-speed pushes 33s just fine. No need for gears. But that will limit us to a rear locker only. That's fine for now.

- Every alignment shop here is totally booked up this week. Found one appointment available Thursday, so having the 33.2x10.8-18 Toyo ATIIIs mounted then along with the alignment, and will actually be able to drive the truck some then. For now, even around town, the long travel and BP-51s are working great. Stock like ride quality, can't really drive it hard enough to tell anything about handling yet.

Sorry for the crappy photo, it was crazy bright out yesterday afternoon. Like I say, proper photoshoot coming Thursday evening.

View attachment 2379322

View attachment 2379321

Added a 12.5ga Long Range America tank to the OE Long Travel 200, and produced a video for Ward and Khris (and Overland Cruisers) in the process:

Tank is such a huge upgrade over jerries. Not only does it equal 2.5 cans, but the thing is just super seamless in operation. It's easy to fill up either the main tank or aux, and can do that at full gas station pump speed. While driving, the transfer takes place speedily, and in utter silence. The included switch is easy to use. Assuming 12 MPG (we average closer to 14 on pavement, but always try and plan range conservatively), our distance between fill ups has grown from 295 miles, to 445 miles. For off-road planning purposes, I always halve my range, so on dirt, we can now safely plan for 220+ miles.

Most importantly though, my 5'2", 100 lbs wife can take full advantage of this thing. There's no way she'd be able to get a jerry can off the roof, and lifting one even off a swingout would be difficult (especially with how tall the truck is now). I suppose I could fill and load the tanks for her, and give her a jiggle siphon, but that'd be messy, smelly, a pain, and still require my involvement up front. Now she can just push a button.

Since the whole idea of this build is to give her the most capability and confidence possible when I'm not around, the tank just lines up perfectly with that goal.

Added a 12.5ga Long Range America tank to the OE Long Travel 200, and produced a video for Ward and Khris (and Overland Cruisers) in the process:

Tank is such a huge upgrade over jerries. Not only does it equal 2.5 cans, but the thing is just super seamless in operation. It's easy to fill up either the main tank or aux, and can do that at full gas station pump speed. While driving, the transfer takes place speedily, and in utter silence. The included switch is easy to use. Assuming 12 MPG (we average closer to 14 on pavement, but always try and plan range conservatively), our distance between fill ups has grown from 295 miles, to 445 miles. For off-road planning purposes, I always halve my range, so on dirt, we can now safely plan for 220+ miles.

Most importantly though, my 5'2", 100 lbs wife can take full advantage of this thing. There's no way she'd be able to get a jerry can off the roof, and lifting one even off a swingout would be difficult (especially with how tall the truck is now). I suppose I could fill and load the tanks for her, and give her a jiggle siphon, but that'd be messy, smelly, a pain, and still require my involvement up front. Now she can just push a button.

Since the whole idea of this build is to give her the most capability and confidence possible when I'm not around, the tank just lines up perfectly with that goal.

“...give her a jiggle...” and then that subsequent description of giving her a jiggle vs pushing a button:rofl:

Ok, now I’ll return to my facade of maturity. Well done on the video 👍🏼

New mid height roller floor drawers from ARB. System was designed expressly for dog owners. Good amount of storage without a ton of lost space. More details/better photos and video to come.

PXL_20210322_040018232~2.jpg

Video walk around of the build, showing some new features like the sliders, and the brand new ARB mid-height roller drawer system, plus some sexy driving shots. I totally forgot to lock the center diff for that hill climb shot.

Not worried about your dogs slamming into the sharp MaxTrax teeth upon a hard deceleration? Seems like asking for trouble.

Are you the same Wes Siler from the asphalt and rubber/hell for leather/rideapart days? I recognize that voice in your videos. Do you still ride, or have you 'slowed down'? I haven't really touched my r12gs since maybe 2018.

Are you the same Wes Siler from the asphalt and rubber/hell for leather/rideapart days? I recognize that voice in your videos. Do you still ride, or have you 'slowed down'? I haven't really touched my r12gs since maybe 2018.
I should note that AssRubber was created with the specific purpose of plagiarizing my work. Please do not mention my name and that dumpster fire in the same sentence.

Otherwise, yes. I don't have a bike right now (that industry was so toxic it just kinda ruined them for me, see above), but I might pick up a small dual sport this summer.

No offense intended, although I do remember you did suddenly disappear from that world. As a casual reader I was completely unaware of the goings-on behind the scenes. Anyway, I did enjoy your work from that time. I have always appreciated people who will freely express their opinions about something.

No offense intended, although I do remember you did suddenly disappear from that world. As a casual reader I was completely unaware of the goings-on behind the scenes. Anyway, I did enjoy your work from that time. I have always appreciated people who will freely express their opinions about something.
The basic story is I started my career at a car/fashion magazine in London, moved to NYC to launch American edition. Was #2 at Jalopnik when we grew that into a real thing. It kinda sucks now, but that's Hulk Hogan's fault. Used that experience and income to launch a little motorcycle website. Eventually managed to grow that into the most widely read bike publication...ever. But man, everyone in that space sucks. Sold that to a VC firm, which is what was behind RideApart. They weren't able to execute their side of the deal, so just kinda screwed me around instead. I did ayahuasca in the desert with some native americans one day, called my partners on that after and told them to get ****ed. Best decision I ever made. Now I go camping with my dogs.

The basic story is I started my career at a car/fashion magazine in London, moved to NYC to launch American edition. Was #2 at Jalopnik when we grew that into a real thing. It kinda sucks now, but that's Hulk Hogan's fault. Used that experience and income to launch a little motorcycle website. Eventually managed to grow that into the most widely read bike publication...ever. But man, everyone in that space sucks. Sold that to a VC firm, which is what was behind RideApart. They weren't able to execute their side of the deal, so just kinda screwed me around instead. I did ayahuasca in the desert with some native americans one day, called my partners on that after and told them to get f***ed. Best decision I ever made. Now I go camping with my dogs.
Jalopnik used to be great but then......fell off the deep end.

I did ayahuasca in the desert with some native americans one day, called my partners on that after and told them to get f***ed. Best decision I ever made. Now I go camping with my dogs.

I am glad you found your truth, and am envious that you executed on it. My wife and I are currently trying to ride an analogous wave. The dogs definitely help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom