NV4500 to HF2AV Open Source Adapter Plans (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I realize that this thread was started to provide open-source plans for the adapter plate NV4500 to HF2AV transfer case. It also utilizes an NV4500 2WD main shaft that has been machined to Toyota 19-spline HF2AV specs.

I am interested in a similar adapter for the Toyota split case.

I know that Advance Adapters manufactures a kit for this application, but it utilizes a spud shaft and replaces the NV4500 extension housing with the Advance Adapters extension housing.

4-C86-C1-A0-8593-4-F3-B-AC41-26308-AC941-C4.jpg

I would prefer not to use a spud shaft to adapt an NV4500 to Toyota split case.

What do you guys think is the best way to slice this onion? Could the Advance Adapters extension housing be utilized, but you just machine a 2WD Dodge main shaft instead of the spud shaft?

Bolt patterns are totally different. I was so glad to ditch the split case and AA adapter. HF2A is the way to go. Easy to find. The 100 series cases have the short output if that is what is needed.

Bolt patterns are totally different. I was so glad to ditch the split case and AA adapter. HF2A is the way to go. Easy to find. The 100 series cases have the short output if that is what is needed.

The short output can be found on any HF2A (8x or 100), the HF2AV has the longer rear housing containing the viscous coupler.

The HF2A/AV cases are rock solid, easy to source and can be converted to part-time should that be a driving factor. I suppose the split-case has a better low range option (4:1) and a true mechanical 2WD/4WD which isn't commercially available for the HF2A/AV. Curious if that is the driving factor for you @Will Van ?

The short output can be found on any HF2A (8x or 100), the HF2AV has the longer rear housing containing the viscous coupler.

The HF2A/AV cases are rock solid, easy to source and can be converted to part-time should that be a driving factor. I suppose the split-case has a better low range option (4:1) and a true mechanical 2WD/4WD which isn't commercially available for the HF2A/AV. Curious if that is the driving factor for you @Will Van ?
Yessir, I like the amount of gearing options on the split case. And that it’s full manual. Does the HF1A have a 3:1 gearing option?

Yessir, I knew the patterns were different. And I read through your build thread and saw you were getting rid of the AA setup.

You’re local in Austin? I would love to check out either of your Cummins swaps in your 80 or 70 series.

Yessir, I like the amount of gearing options on the split case. And that it’s full manual. Does the HF1A have a 3:1 gearing option?

Unfortunately not the same common 3.1:1 we do great deals of in the HF2A/AV. The gearing arrangement on the HF1A doesn't allow for a swapped low range idler/output gear combo without a complete swap of the idler gear itself. I think there was at one time an offering for that case, I'll have to look.

There are low range gear sets available for the 7x Series manual shift tcase. We are working on some cool stuff there for 2023.

There are low range gear sets available for the 7x Series manual shift tcase. We are working on some cool stuff there for 2023.
Which 7x series manual shift t-case? HF1A manual shift t-case? Or split case?

Which 7x series manual shift t-case? HF1A manual shift t-case? Or split case?

The late model HF1A series. The Split case 7x stuff already has a full range of offerings, exact same as the 4x/6x stuff so 10%UD/OD, 3:1, 3.3:1, 4:1 we already stock/sell/install regularly.

3.26:1 low range for the late model 7X HF1A case. Not 4:1, but a manual bullet proof tcase. Though I still think the split case is a great option and does offer more flexibility.

The late model HF1A series...3.26:1 low range for the late model 7X HF1A case. Not 4:1, but a manual bullet proof tcase.
Great intel and exciting stuff.

I think y’all have convinced me that the late-model HF1A manual case is the way to go. And I can use the existing NV4500 adapter kit.

Thx!

I had a manual part time HF case in the shop but I frankinsteined it with a 80 series HF2A into a part time electric case with short rear output. It still needs a compete rebuild but it works.
I did it just to see if it was possible to get later gears in an early case. It’s still a ways off from confirming it will work in a truck without blowing up. 😁

Last edited:
Does anyone know, which HF1A manual shift transfer case should I be looking for if I am using the Adventure Vehicles NW adapter kit? From a 70 series with 19 splines?

That link says HF2A.
Correct.

But I believe the HF2A(V) and (some? all?) HF1A bolt-patterns and spline counts are interchangeable. Only the length of the t-case and driveshaft is different to accommodate the viscous coupler in the HF2AV.

So Jonesy’s/Joel/Adventure Vehicles NW is a reliable source for Cummins conversion parts?
Yeah I had some really good experiences with them over the past 2 years. Joel made me a custom offset fat hub like I already had, but designed to work with his accessory bracket. I wanted my Cummins mechanical fan to be centered in the 80 radiator.

Hi!

I am swapping another gearbox into a hdj80 and I need the bolt coordinates of the HF2A gearbox. Are the coordiantes included in the first PDF of this thread accurate? Has someone machined an adapter based on those hole coordinates?

Thanks!

Hi!

I am swapping another gearbox into a hdj80 and I need the bolt coordinates of the HF2A gearbox. Are the coordiantes included in the first PDF of this thread accurate? Has someone machined an adapter based on those hole coordinates?

Thanks!
I have a bunch of plates ready to go. I just moved a couple weeks ago and haven’t unboxed everything yet but for sure I have em.

I have a bunch of plates ready to go. I just moved a couple weeks ago and haven’t unboxed everything yet but for sure I have em.
I was talking about the HF2A bolt pattern shown in the first few posts of this thread. I am not swapping a NV4500 transmission, so I only need the bolt pattern coordinates fot he HF2A, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom