NV4500 to HF2AV Open Source Adapter Plans (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think after 96 the GM and dodge all have the same bolt pattern on the case. Before that, GM had a weird difference, so it won’t work. Since you’re replacing the mainshaft, then you can use a GM NV4500, but you’ll have to replace the input shaft to get it to mate to a Cummins. You’ll need a dodge rear 4x4 tailhousing.

Some say that the internals are different between the gas and diesel/v10 nv4500’s, others say they aren’t and the only difference is the input shaft and splines on the mainshaft. Idk anything factual in that area.

Edit: @Shepherd4x4

First thanks to everyone for working this adapter for years and doing the legwork for guys to do swaps much easier. I am looking to use Jonesy's adapter kit to mate a Chevy 2003 NV4500 (gas/4wd) to the 1997 HF2AV. I read what OP wrote on page one of this thread about there being differences between the Dodge and GM 4500s but he did not exactly know other than the tail housing being roughly 2" longer. My question to y'all is would Adventure Vehicle's adapter work for me? Their website description says "easily connect a 1994-2002 Dodge or 1996 GM NV4500." I've researched the 96 version and can only find that is the year GM went to a synchronized reverse gear. I've emailed Adventure to ask but have not heard back. Any input is appreciated! Thank you
I agree that the Dodge 4X4 housing is a requirement.
First thanks to everyone for working this adapter for years and doing the legwork for guys to do swaps much easier. I am looking to use Jonesy's adapter kit to mate a Chevy 2003 NV4500 (gas/4wd) to the 1997 HF2AV. I read what OP wrote on page one of this thread about there being differences between the Dodge and GM 4500s but he did not exactly know other than the tail housing being roughly 2" longer. My question to y'all is would Adventure Vehicle's adapter work for me? Their website description says "easily connect a 1994-2002 Dodge or 1996 GM NV4500." I've researched the 96 version and can only find that is the year GM went to a synchronized reverse gear. I've emailed Adventure to ask but have not heard back. Any input is appreciated! Thank you
I hate to throw another curve ball at you, but I'm not sure the HF2AV (viscous case) would play nice with a manual transmission. On both my stock cruisers (94 FZJ80 and 97 LX450) there is a noticeable lag after the shift point where where the viscous coupling "locks in". I'm not sure how this would play with my 450 HP 7.4L and 6 speed manual (FS6406A). I do see that Adventure vehicles NW specifies the HF2A transfer case, not the HF2AV. Has anyone paired a HF2AV with a manual?

I hate to throw another curve ball at you, but I'm not sure the HF2AV (viscous case) would play nice with a manual transmission. On both my stock cruisers (94 FZJ80 and 97 LX450) there is a noticeable lag after the shift point where where the viscous coupling "locks in". I'm not sure how this would play with my 450 HP 7.4L and 6 speed manual (FS6406A). I do see that Adventure vehicles NW specifies the HF2A transfer case, not the HF2AV. Has anyone paired a HF2AV with a manual?
Almost every nv4500/6bt/HF2A swap on the board is the HF2AV. It’s not an issue that anyone’s mentioned.

I appreciate your attention to detail and was concerned about Adventure's adapter considering the verbiage in their ad. But I emailed @Jonesys with my plans and he replied I would be good to go as long as I purchased the Dodge 4x4 extension which I have as well as the adapter. Great communication and free shipping from Joel, btw! I'm hoping to have the kit installed within a week or two and can post updates

Last edited:
I appreciate your attention to detail and was concerned about Adventure's adapter considering the verbiage in their ad. But I emailed Joel with my plans and he replied I would be good to go as long as I purchased the Dodge 4x4 extension which I have as well as the adapter. Great communication and free shipping from Joel, btw. I'm hoping to have the kit installed within a week or two and can post updates
Keep us posted. I just picked up an MW3 NV4500 for cheap! So I’ll be seeing how a 1 ton GM tranny holds up to an Isuzu diesel.

I think after 96 the GM and dodge all have the same bolt pattern on the case. Before that, GM had a weird difference, so it won’t work. Since you’re replacing the mainshaft, then you can use a GM NV4500, but you’ll have to replace the input shaft to get it to mate to a Cummins. You’ll need a dodge rear 4x4 tailhousing.

Some say that the internals are different between the gas and diesel/v10 nv4500’s, others say they aren’t and the only difference is the input shaft and splines on the mainshaft. Idk anything factual in that area.

Edit: @Shepherd4x4
Ok I've been disassembled the GMNV4500 and put in @Jonesys main shaft from his adapter kit. The dodge shaft fits the transmission and t-case and the 4x4 Dodge extension tail housing also attached well to the t-case. All good news! However the original GM 5th gear is not fitting on the new main shaft. I'm attaching some pictures to show the difference in GM/Dodge diameters. I know we're diving in pretty deep here but is this something any of you experienced? Finally, do you see any red flags other than ordering a new Dodge 5th gear and the lock nut to hopefully ward off 5th gear slippage? Thanks again for all your input. The orange/smaller shaft is the original GM and the larger/shiny one is from Adventure NW.

RenderedImage.jpeg

IMG_9883.jpeg

IMG_9882.jpeg

IMG_9880.jpeg

IMG_9881.jpeg

I’d be curious to hear from all you NV4500 guys who have actual hands on knowledge what the differences are internally between the 1 ton GM and the Cummins/V10 trannys? It looks like the OD of the main shaft for the 5th gear may be larger on the dodge? But the rest of the gears cross over I believe? Just curious. Haven’t cracked it open yet, other than the top cover to get a look inside, gears look pretty good.

I’d be curious to hear from all you NV4500 guys who have actual hands on knowledge what the differences are internally between the 1 ton GM and the Cummins/V10 trannys? It looks like the OD of the main shaft for the 5th gear may be larger on the dodge? But the rest of the gears cross over I believe? Just curious. Haven’t cracked it open yet, other than the top cover to get a look inside, gears look pretty good.
I can follow up with you on this but so far the only difference I’ve found is the dodge 5th gear being larger in diameter and spline number is also different. GM had 31 & the Dodge gear I need has 35 internal splines and 22 teeth. I’m waiting for a new gear to arrive in the mail and then will complete assembly of the NV and Jonesy’s adapter

Did you need any more intel from me, @mjosoba ? My project is on-going and I've ordered a trans rebuild kit from torque kings in an effort to avoid Chinese parts and for the new 5th gear. Currently working on adapting GM engine mounts for the 80

Did you need any more intel from me, @mjosoba ? My project is on-going and I've ordered a trans rebuild kit from torque kings in an effort to avoid Chinese parts and for the new 5th gear. Currently working on adapting GM engine mounts for the 80
I’m good for now. I may get ahold of you when I start breaking my down. For now I’m tracking down bellhousing and block adapter parts, etc.

I can follow up with you on this but so far the only difference I’ve found is the dodge 5th gear being larger in diameter and spline number is also different. GM had 31 & the Dodge gear I need has 35 internal splines and 22 teeth. I’m waiting for a new gear to arrive in the mail and then will complete assembly of the NV and Jonesy’s adapter
Hello Shepherd4x4! So I can replace the 32 spline main shaft on my GM NV4500 with a redesigned main shaft without replacing the gears and bearings inside the NV4500? Just need to replace the 5th gear?
HF2A Land Cruiser Transfercase to NV4500 Transmission Adapter Kit - Adventure Vehicles NW - https://adventurevehiclesnw.com/shop/land-cruiser/80-series/drivetrain-80-series/hf2a-land-cruiser-transfercase-to-nv4500-transmission-adapter-kit/ - Is this kit suitable for replacement?

I forgot to post about this. It's the Australian version of the hf2a to nv adapter. Replaces the factory hf2a input shaft with an extended one to slip over the stock nv4500 4wd output shaft. Not a spud shaft like some kits, and requires no machine work of the nv4500. The adapter plate is a touch thicker and other ones and has 3 options for clocking the transfer case if needed.

IMG_20210408_132341.jpg
IMG_20210408_134947.jpg
IMG_20210412_185958.jpg

Hello Shepherd4x4! So I can replace the 32 spline main shaft on my GM NV4500 with a redesigned main shaft without replacing the gears and bearings inside the NV4500? Just need to replace the 5th gear?
HF2A Land Cruiser Transfercase to NV4500 Transmission Adapter Kit - Adventure Vehicles NW - https://adventurevehiclesnw.com/shop/land-cruiser/80-series/drivetrain-80-series/hf2a-land-cruiser-transfercase-to-nv4500-transmission-adapter-kit/ - Is this kit suitable for replacement?
Yes. You’d also need to replace the input shaft to get to the Cummins one. Very easy to do. And, like you said, new 5th gear assembly and dodge 4wd rear housing. All the internals, aside from the mainshaft, are reusable as far as I know. Provided they’re in good shape.

Yes. You’d also need to replace the input shaft to get to the Cummins one. Very easy to do. And, like you said, new 5th gear assembly and dodge 4wd rear housing. All the internals, aside from the mainshaft, are reusable as far as I know. Provided they’re in good shape.
Thanks for the answer! Maybe you know the part number for the parts to be replaced.

Thanks for the answer! Maybe you know the part number for the parts to be replaced.
I do not know that one. Sorry. Should be pretty easy to track down on Quad4x4 or similar sights.

I forgot to post about this. It's the Australian version of the hf2a to nv adapter. Replaces the factory hf2a input shaft with an extended one to slip over the stock nv4500 4wd output shaft. Not a spud shaft like some kits, and requires no machine work of the nv4500. The adapter plate is a touch thicker and other ones and has 3 options for clocking the transfer case if needed.

View attachment 2778829View attachment 2778831View attachment 2778833
How much for the Rockbug Ind. kit?

I just got one from Jonesy’s last week. Don’t get Diesel Adapters mixed up with Jonesy’s. Two different companies.

No they were never the same company. I believe Jonesy’s started a company called Duiser selling conversions parts made by almaras machine ‘Dustin’ and where all the bad client service, delays, half orders delivered etc. originated from was on the manufacturing side. That Duiser company name was then sold to Dustin /Almaras machine and that partnership dissolved.

Jonesys then opened up Adventure Vehicles NW and has come out with their own designs for a bunch of the Cummins conversion parts. I don’t know who Joel is using for the machine work for his parts, but safe to assume it’s not Dustin/Almaras machine.

So while there was a parts relationship between Jonesy’s (Joel) and almaras Machine (Dustin), they were never the same company or the same people.
So Jonesy’s/Joel/Adventure Vehicles NW is a reliable source for Cummins conversion parts?

So Jonesy’s/Joel/Adventure Vehicles NW is a reliable source for Cummins conversion parts?
Yes. I always ask if in stock before I order just like most vendors I use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom