Newbie just picked up 82 4x4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is a guy that makes metal replacements and customizes them for you. I think he charges 80 for the custom cut metal and maybe a bit more if you want it welded for you. If you want info on it I will dig it up.

When did they start putting the radio all the way over there?

Dash.JPG

Some parts arrived...
20220311_162933.jpg

Today my son is coming over to help me remove all smog equipment and install the weber 32/36 with spiral adapter and a fuel regulator.
Also we will be installing the block plates that I ordered, and fabricating the ones I should have ordered but didnt.

Im gonna go ahead and wish myself luck at this point, and report back later today once we get going...

Ok, sorta lost track of time, my son and I were busy all day...
Boom!
20220312_144422.jpg

First was tearing out all the emissions crap, a little frightening for sure and about 20% into it I started to second guess if I was doing the right thing. There is a lot going on with the smog equipment, this milk crate full of parts is what was removed today...
20220312_172833.jpg

After that was done I made some plates to block some holes on the exhaust manifold...not quite as refined as the ones from lc, but they will get the job done.
20220312_121344.jpg

Installing the spiral plate and the weber was fairly straightforward...we did have to work at the throttle linkage a bit to get it to fit, instructions from weber were a bit vague. Air cleaner went right on.
We then mounted the fuel regulator, and ran new fuel line configuration. The fuel filter was replaced as well...
20220312_144153.jpg

I didnt have the plugs for the manifold so I just used some vacuum caps to get by until I can remove the vacuum valves,bvsv etc. and install plugs.
Set the fuel regulator at 2.5 lbs
I ran a single vacuum line from distributor to the carb.
Double checked everything and then cranked it over, and over...and over... there is a longer fuel line and an empty fuel filter so a quick spray of starter fluid and it fired right up...I kept it running with the starter fluid for a few seconds as the filter filled up and then it started running on gasoline.

And it ran great!
Lets remember that when I drove it home it only had 3 exhaust manifold nuts (of which one was totally stripped out causing a huge leak) and a clothespin holding open the butterfly valve in the carb...it barely ran

I cant believe how good it runs now, we took a quick test drive and is has a lot more power than before...I have not tuned it yet, just running on the factory settings
😀

I’m putting the exact same kit from LCE in my truck also. I’m also replacing the whole fuel system to include the tank.
Where did you find the steering clamshell you purchased ?

After celebrating our victory over the carb we took a look at the front bumper...luckily for me, my son worked at poison spyder for a year making jeep bumpers and roll cages...
20220312_145832.jpg

20220312_150732.jpg

Got it mocked up and tack welded, he was able to use a portion of the stock bumper mounts (with some extra reinforcing and additional gussets) so it can be easily unbolted and removed.
Tomorrow I will finish with the rust removal, and after a few tabs are welded on for the turn signals and (maybe) license plate, it will be ready for primer and paint.
20220312_154757.jpg

How's all that going to work out with CARB/smog?

How's all that going to work out with CARB/smog?
My family has a few vehicles that wont pass smog, but we have a few friends who help us out when they need certification.

Basically, like most problems, if you throw money at it the issue it goes away.

I drove around for a bit yesterday, with a big smile on my face because the truck is runing so well. I came home and adjusted the idle down a bit (it was at 1100 rpm when warm) now it sits at about 750-800 rpm.
With the exception of the intake plugs and valve cover vent/filters the only thing left in the engine bay to take care of is the ignition coil...it is zip tied to the master cylinder, I want to get it back it the cradle where it belings. And also finish degreasing the engine and bay area.

Once all that is done, and I am confident it does not need any more mechanical work, I will start on the interior and new shocks/steering stabilizer.

I put about 60 miles on the truck this weekend after we tuned the carb a bit. Really running well at this point, im very pleased.
I ended up putting a catch can between the (new) PCV and the intake manifold...
20220318_194928.jpg

After 60 miles or so there was about 3 drops of oil in the can.
My wife noted as she was following me for a few miles that the exhaust coming out of the tailpipe was noxious and she had to hang back quite a bit to be able to breath.
The seller supplied a new catalytic converter when I bought the truck. Got it installed yesterday and it made a huge difference in the amount of crap coming out of the tailpipe.

What made you decide to use the catch can setup? I was just planning on venting mine with a breather. Also what breather is that on the front?

What made you decide to use the catch can setup? I was just planning on venting mine with a breather. Also what breather is that on the front?
First, I don't know what you are working on. If you are working on a 22RE, technically, you can't just vent the PCV. You will create a vacuum leak.

Second, have you ever looking inside the plenum or throttle body of a 22RE? It's always gunked up. Not only is air getting sucked in through the PCV, but so is oil. Here is the oil separator I use.

PCV Oil separator-sm.jpg

I put about 60 miles on the truck this weekend after we tuned the carb a bit. Really running well at this point, im very pleased.
I ended up putting a catch can between the (new) PCV and the intake manifold...
View attachment 2958672

After 60 miles or so there was about 3 drops of oil in the can.
My wife noted as she was following me for a few miles that the exhaust coming out of the tailpipe was noxious and she had to hang back quite a bit to be able to breath.
The seller supplied a new catalytic converter when I bought the truck. Got it installed yesterday and it made a huge difference in the amount of crap coming out of the tailpipe.
Your noxious exhaust may be from too many unburnt hydocarbons, running rich. Try tuning/jetting for a/f mixture in front of the cat.

I was also going to just put breathers on the front and rear vents, but after doing a bit of research I found that the vacuum from the manifold pulls bad fumes from the engine. In fact the LCE website has a warning about oil life without PCV...
Screenshot_20220321-145540_Samsung Internet.jpg

Every 300-500 miles seems hard to believe to me, but it still made me decide to keep the PCV. I used a catch can because the idea of oil and crap going into the intake just didnt seem cool. Although now after seeing only a few drops of oil in 60 miles, it might not matter at all.
The front filter came with the catch can.
Evil Energy 300ml catch can is what I used

Your noxious exhaust may be from too many unburnt hydocarbons, running rich. Try tuning/jetting for a/f mixture in front of the cat.
This may have been the case...the fumes were noticed on Friday, on Sunday the cat was installed and the carb tuned at the same time. The end result is no more smell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom