New to me JDM Import (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My PZJ70 has that bumper with the electric winch....fugly but I find it to be super handy for when you are working on the cruiser.

My turn for a dumb question: what is the purpose of that front bumper?

It's great for sitting on or strapping a cooler of beer on top :)

Most 70 series have the front chassis x-member quite far forward, and the PTO winch assembly is quite deep front-back. So it looks like Toyota just plonked in the winch in the easiest way possible & filled in the gaps with steel. I've seen a few 70's that have been modded with a custom bumper to have the winch a little further back & chamfered off the corners which looks way more practical for offroad use. The LJ7* has the x-member a lot further back so my custom PTO install has it mostly under the grill.

Cheers
Clint

The factory winch bumper sticks out a mile.

It's great for sitting on or strapping a cooler of beer on top :)

Most 70 series have the front chassis x-member quite far forward, and the PTO winch assembly is quite deep front-back. So it looks like Toyota just plonked in the winch in the easiest way possible & filled in the gaps with steel. I've seen a few 70's that have been modded with a custom bumper to have the winch a little further back & chamfered off the corners which looks way more practical for offroad use. The LJ7* has the x-member a lot further back so my custom PTO install has it mostly under the grill.

Cheers
Clint

I've seen some pretty inventive solutions, but at this point, that bumper is way down my list of things to look at :)

Ive only seen that bumper on JDM models. Toyota dealers in AUST fitted an ARB bullbar with X9000 Warn winch if you wanted one.
The big lip was a bit ugly and a pita in parking spots.

I posted a thread here on mud years ago on how to modify the PTO winch and so forth to suck it way back in. I got mine all the way back so that it was sticking out less than fitting an ARB with an electric winch in it.

It does require use of a plasma cutter and welding machine though.

Cheers

I am in the middle of building a custom plate bumper that is sucked in close to the body and follows the contours of the front grill nicely. I will be posting some pics when I am further along. Even the ARB's stick out too far for my liking, and there is literally no other aftermarket bumpers out there for the 70s besides ARB. I made the decision to not install a winch so I could make it more sleek. Stay tuned.

I know this is off topic but can anyone shed some light on why some are equipped with PTO winch and others with Electric winch? Did they state which one they wanted when the order was made?

This isn't an question about which one is better.

Buyer preference.

Thanks Dan. PTO was probably the pricier of the two as an option I am guessing with a lot more components involved.

Anyways....this was just stuff I was curious about.

Well, it feels like I just hung up the phone with Kurt @cruiseroutfit , but the UPS guy just brought me a bunch of goodies!

Fast shipping! +1 for living in the PNW!

IMG_8570.JPG

Spring-time in the PNW:grinpimp:

Kurt is definitely awesome for us here in WA. I usually haven't actually worked up the energy to do what I ordered parts for before it gets here.

Spring is still teasing us pretty hard up here. It snowed last week.

I see what you did there :D

Glad to hear they arrived safe and sound. Did you get them installed yet? :D

I’m working as fast as I can! But it is Friday afternoon and almost cocktail hour, so I don’t know how far I’ll get.

I expect it’ll be in the garage for a while, so I drove her this morning to pick up all my other supplies (grease, oil, rags, rum...)

19615C21-06C3-4230-BBDF-A1A578C869C5.jpeg

Wow, you're not messing around. Thanks again for the order. We really appreciate your business!

I wish I had a lift in my garage

I wish I had a lift in my garage

It was a long time coming, but I finally got my detached garage built and the lift was a definite requirement. I remember wrenching on my 80, laying on the ground on my side, back & belly on a pad of cold, wet concrete outside the house. I'm too old for that crap now...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom