New to me FJ55/FJ62 Hybrid w/ Patina...I think..lol (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That was something I was wondering is how much of the 55’s evap system is being used and how much of the 62 system is being used.(?) Since the chassis is 62, I’d try to base everything around that and go from there. Search out how the 62 system works and go with that rather than what the 55’s was.

too.
20200422_185534.jpg

@Godwin hooked me up with these sexy plugs for the manifold. I still haven’t installed them it as the 1973 quarter I stuck under the nut of the union has been functional and hillbilly chiqe so far- sexier than a pinched off tube stickin out of the fitting! 😉

@Godwin hooked me up with these sexy plugs for the manifold. I still haven’t installed them it as the 1973 quarter I stuck under the nut of the union has been functional and hillbilly chiqe so far- sexier than a pinched off tube stickin out of the fitting! 😉

:lol: Plug costs more than $0.25 but looks a lot better and fits so much better than a plug from the plumbing section at Lowe's. There's a Dorman part number floating around for the exhaust manifold plug and freeze plug for the EGR port on the intake manifold.

So on this fuel cap, pressurization issue.....this is my setup. Stock fj62 tank, filler neck and fuel door is stock '72 FJ55 along with the fuel cap. My old fuel cap has no venting like the newer fj62's have so I am guessing after I put 5 gallons in it the other day and put the old fuel cap on the fuel sloshing around pressurized the tank. I pulled it in garage and walked away so that air pushed the fuel up the filler neck to the cap and it leaked. As soon as I removed the fuel cap the level started to receed down the filler tube. So for now I drilled a couple holes in my fuel cap (I know, not cool) but I have a parts rig 4runner that I am going to see if I can adapt that filler neck and new style, vented fuel cap and see what happens. I could be way off base here as I've never dealt with this evap stuff much. I am going to checkout that other thread too that was posted a few days ago and see what I can learn. Thanks all :beer:

Ok hold up. Fj62 has a charcoal can in the engine bay, with a solenoid and vcv actusyed valve, and evap system that is in the right rear quarter panel. It would have been easy enough to have stuffed0 it into the pigs quarter panel. Have you looked? So it’s like 4 tank vent lines to the seperator and one from the seperator to the charcoal can. Top of my head I can’t recall if there is an electrical solenoid at the charcoal canister but know for fact there is a vacuum commutator valve (vtv) that opens and closes the charcoal can lines and it can go bad causing your issue. I’ve rebuilt those canisters and there are replacement vcvs available but I’ve also used the auto zone charcoal can. It’s cheap and easy and looks pro. Make sure that the plumbing has continuity and that your controls and charcoal can are open for flow

Check the 80 series section for the vcv test. It’s also in google images

Ok hold up. Fj62 has a charcoal can in the engine bay, with a solenoid and vcv actusyed valve, and evap system that is in the right rear quarter panel. It would have been easy enough to have stuffed0 it into the pigs quarter panel. Have you looked? So it’s like 4 tank vent lines to the seperator and one from the seperator to the charcoal can. Top of my head I can’t recall if there is an electrical solenoid at the charcoal canister but know for fact there is a vacuum commutator valve (vtv) that opens and closes the charcoal can lines and it can go bad causing your issue. I’ve rebuilt those canisters and there are replacement vcvs available but I’ve also used the auto zone charcoal can. It’s cheap and easy and looks pro. Make sure that the plumbing has continuity and that your controls and charcoal can are open for flow

Thanks for this. I have 4 lines coming out of side of tank on passenger side. 1 has a rubber cap on it, 1 is the vent that runs back to the filler neck, and 2 of them run up the frame rail and come up by where the canister should be but nothing is there...the lines are just hanging. I was rerouting them in the rats nest and when I lowered it down by the frame rail to snake it around the brake lines gas came out of it. There is nothing in the rear quarter on the passenger side. So I'm guessing I am going to need the auto zone setup you mentioned?
20200423_172712.jpg
20200423_173219.jpg

Thanks for this. I have 4 lines coming out of side of tank on passenger side. 1 has a rubber cap on it, 1 is the vent that runs back to the filler neck, and 2 of them run up the frame rail and come up by where the canister should be but nothing is there...the lines are just hanging. I was rerouting them in the rats nest and when I lowered it down by the frame rail to snake it around the brake lines gas came out of it. There is nothing in the rear quarter on the passenger side. So I'm guessing I am going to need the auto zone setup you mentioned?
View attachment 2283435View attachment 2283436
20200423_175254.jpg

I don't see the fuel tube connector or the evaporative seperator nor do I have anything that goes in the engine bay.

Okay you need a vapor seperator for 60/62 series seperator. No other way to do it if you don’t wanna pop that tank or breath gasoline vapors while driving around. Expect to spend about 125-150 including new autozone charcoal can and new Toyota vcv; used seperator and new hoses and clamps. Well worth it

So on this fuel cap, pressurization issue.....this is my setup. Stock fj62 tank, filler neck and fuel door is stock '72 FJ55 along with the fuel cap. My old fuel cap has no venting like the newer fj62's have so I am guessing after I put 5 gallons in it the other day and put the old fuel cap on the fuel sloshing around pressurized the tank. I pulled it in garage and walked away so that air pushed the fuel up the filler neck to the cap and it leaked. As soon as I removed the fuel cap the level started to receed down the filler tube. So for now I drilled a couple holes in my fuel cap (I know, not cool) but I have a parts rig 4runner that I am going to see if I can adapt that filler neck and new style, vented fuel cap and see what happens. I could be way off base here as I've never dealt with this evap stuff much. I am going to checkout that other thread too that was posted a few days ago and see what I can learn. Thanks all :beer:

Odd. The 62 tanks should be set up to vent pressure and vapors into a charcoal canister. So unless someone actually plugged those line(s), it should be able to vent pressure after the fuel warms up and expands instead of trying to push fuel out the fill neck...

View attachment 2283477
I don't see the fuel tube connector or the evaporative seperator nor do I have anything that goes in the engine bay.
Okay you need a vapor seperator for 60/62 series seperator. No other way to do it if you don’t wanna pop that tank or breath gasoline vapors while driving around. Expect to spend about 125-150 including new autozone charcoal can and new Toyota vcv; used seperator and new hoses and clamps. Well worth it

I would check the driver quarter panel in your Pig and see if you still have the Pig vapor separator. If so, I would use that! You just don't want raw fuel being able to run out of the tank.
Make sense?

I would check the driver quarter panel in your Pig and see if you still have the Pig vapor separator. If so, I would use that! You just don't want raw fuel being able to run out of the tank.
Make sense?

Hi All, I did some digging underneath the FJ over the weekend and see no remnants of the FJ62 or the FJ55 vent system anywhere. So I mentioned before I have a parts 97 4Runner from a previous project so Saturday I took the charcoal system out from the drivers side engine bay and going to mess with that and see if I can make it work. I figured I already have it and nothing ventured nothing gained. I also took all the door seals off the body of the 4runner too. Going to see if I can make them work on the FJ55 as they are all missing. I also ordered a Fairchild window run from Rockauto as its missing too on the drivers door. So nothing crazy getting done but I am picking things off one by one......

Hi All....do to some unfortunate circumstances w my family work situation I am going to have to move this project along unfortunately :-( This pandemic has taken its toll on finances. If you know anybody interested please PM me. Thanks all for all the help on this project, I've had fun working on it and interacting w all the great guys in this forum. I'll be back at some point. Thank You.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom