New to me FJ55/FJ62 Hybrid w/ Patina...I think..lol (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all....hope this post finds everybody healthy! About a month ago I traded my 93 80 series for this 72 FJ55 sitting on frame and running gear from a 89 FJ62. PO built this and installed a FJ60 4 spd. I am just now getting to start to check this Pig out. I am going to do the patina preservation procedure outlined w CLR etc. I started today. A few pics because who doesnt like pics. I have alot to do to finish what the PO started but the pig runs and drives good as is. I am excited to have time to work on it over the next month w everything going on in our world.
20200402_175356.jpg
20200402_175342.jpg
20200403_154425.jpg

20200402_175253.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting project!

Yeah, interesting sums it up pretty well, LOL. Lots going on w this project. Previous owner installed steering column from the 62 and put the pig steering wheel on. I like this mod. Also it has 2nd row bucket seats from a Sequoia as the front seats, super comfy and a good fit w the Tuffy console and w one lever they flip up or lay flat. Seat belts are out of a mid 80's Toyota pickup I think. Everything works as well. Wipers, lights, turnsignals etc. The back window does not work so I'll need to dig into that. PO ran a remote switch for window to back end to left of window so that'll come in handy. Also it has a bitchin tailgate handle which works and is probably the nicest piece on the ole girl LOL. PO said his buddy made it. Lots of work and cleaning to get inside looking decent and putting dash back together, all weather stripping needs replaced, windows all rattle etc. Looking forward to social distancing over the next month and keeping my sanity working on the ole girl!

20200402_175500.jpg

20200402_185945.jpg

20200402_175327.jpg

20200402_190109.jpg

20200402_175412.jpg

The CLR/0000 steel wool really brings out all the different layers and colors on this pig. The pics of passenger doors back door is done and front door isnt.
Mechanically going to need to address broken bolts in thermo housing, new rad hoses and fixing the leaky power steering. Also having a high idle issue in between shifts, idles fine when sitting but in between shifts it races. Also going to look at adding a tach. What would you guys do w more serious rust like drivers door and back of rockers? Coat it w fluid film and leave for now or hit it w rust converter and penetrol and leave it? Got a buddy's dealer plate so I could drive it around some while everything is closed. More pics, hopefully they dont bore you guys :)
20200405_165733.jpg

20200405_165530.jpg

20200405_165514.jpg

20200405_170444.jpg

20200405_170424.jpg

More pics, hopefully they dont bore you guys :)
Keep them coming, we loves us some pictures.

Coat it w fluid film and leave for now or hit it w rust converter and penetrol and leave it?
Anything that will slow down the rust is a good thing, a few guys here use fluid film, it’s not my first choice for a permanent coating on a repaired panel but it’s probably a good choice for an area that you know you’ll be back into for future repairs. Any good wax or tar based coating would suck to remove prior to cutting and welding new steel.

It's always been a dream of mine to show up at the local practice tracks or woods rides w buddies in my old LC w a hitch mounted carrier and my stuff in the back. I am going to make that dream a reality as soon as I sort out a few things.

20200406_124336.jpg

20200406_124401.jpg

Cut the rockers out and graft in some rectangular steel sliders, then some stock wheels and skinnier tires and she'll look quite the part.

Yeah these tires need to go.....35x12.5x15's. Definitely going to go w a skinnier 35. Mastercraft MXT's probably. Ill probably keep these wheels for now just to keep costs down etc and I already have them. These rockers arent that bad yet...lol.....I'm thinking a patch job for now and I'll revisit the rocker/sliders this winter. I also need to patch the front floorboards where the stock body mounts were as well as weld up the rear quarter bottoms to keep out dust and water etc.

Yeah these tires need to go.....35x12.5x15's. Definitely going to go w a skinnier 35. Mastercraft MXT's probably. Ill probably keep these wheels for now just to keep costs down etc and I already have them. These rockers arent that bad yet...lol.....I'm thinking a patch job for now and I'll revisit the rocker/sliders this winter. I also need to patch the front floorboards where the stock body mounts were as well as weld up the rear quarter bottoms to keep out dust and water etc.
I like it how it sits now. Up to you on what you want! Previous owner on Mud cause I remember a guy who built his own tailgate handle. Smart!!! 🙂

That's a nice, heavy built handle. I love to know where it came from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom