New to me FJ40, parking brake help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Oct 14, 2006
Threads
9
Messages
35
Location
Davis, CA
Well, I finally bought an FJ40 after looking at them for 45+ years. I've been driving an 80 series for 20+ years, and this is a new game for me. It's a restomod done by the previous owner, and I'm going through finishing up lots of little bits to get is fully drivable. 1970, running gear is SBC 350, 700r4, and Orion transfer case. My goal is to get it ready for some Cal4wd events in the fall and winter. And I need a functioning parking brake for the safety inspections.

I have the parking brake drum on the transfer case, but no backing plate or guts, no cable, no lever. I'm looking for options to get one working. It looks like the BTB kit is pretty complete to what I need, and price seems like it's about the same as buying all the individual pieces. But I'm totally new to FJ40s and I don't know if this is everything I need or if I need other mounting points or a different drum or what.

And then I'll need some sort of lever and cable assembly. Still searching for options there. I don't really need stock.

Also, if anyone has suggestions for getting the windshield to lay back about an inch I'd appreciate it. I think the gasket might be too much but wasn't sure if I needed to start adjusting the hinges. Trying to get my new Bestop top and doors installed.

Thanks.
-Dan

703915092_1373108217980214_7363376219434380411_n.webp


20260927_184522.webp


20260927_110040.webp
 
Last edited:
do you have anything for a pull lever under the dash for the park brake? it should be above your right knee when in the driver seat
it seems the transfer case is sitting low in the frame, the rear driveshaft angle looks odd
any idea what rear disc setup is on there? some use calipers with integrated park brake
 
Drain transfer before pulling out drum bits. It’s a gusher otherwise. @cruisermatt may have a 60 series rear axle option for ebrake. Ping him.
 
Since you didn't say, it looks like your Cruiser is a 71ish, so your easiest (not best) option would be to simply add the stock backing plate, shoes, cable, and dash-pull handle and it should all bolt it. Strange that it is missing?
 
do you have anything for a pull lever under the dash for the park brake? it should be above your right knee when in the driver seat
it seems the transfer case is sitting low in the frame, the rear driveshaft angle looks odd
any idea what rear disc setup is on there? some use calipers with integrated park brake
No parking brake parts but the drum. Wilwood disc brakes from BTB, purchased back in 2005. The PO spent 25+ years rebuilding this thing but didn't quite finish all the details to get it on the road. I agree the driveshaft angle looks odd, but I don't know enough about these to know what right looks like here. I know it's really short!
 
Since you didn't say, it looks like your Cruiser is a 71ish, so your easiest (not best) option would be to simply add the stock backing plate, shoes, cable, and dash-pull handle and it should all bolt it. Strange that it is missing?
Sorry! It's a 1970. There are quite a few strange things on the rig. The PO spent 25+ years doing a complete frame off restomod but never really drove it, and there are lots of little things like this that just didn't get done.
 
Based on your location you are in LC Mecca, there are plenty of shops local to you that should have everything you need to bolt the stock E-brake back in so you can get going. They work OK when adjusted correctly.
 
Based on your location you are in LC Mecca, there are plenty of shops local to you that should have everything you need to bolt the stock E-brake back in so you can get going. They work OK when adjusted correctly.
Thanks, that's encouraging to hear. Any suggestions on specific shops or vendors? I'm new to 40s so I'm learning the landscape.
 
Thanks for the suggestions. I decided I'm going to do a simple line lock right now so I can pass the safety inspection in early November (Cal4wd line locks are okay), then explore better parking brake options. I'm sorting out a bunch of stuff from the PO's build, and I haven't even test driven the truck offroad yet!

Got the Bestop softop install finished this weekend after moving the cage around to get it to fit. Next is fixing the wiring and controls for the electric fan, fixing up wiring and grounds so hopefully some of my digital gauges start working (would like to know accurate temperature and fuel level at least), and adding fuses to my auxiliary lights and fan controls so my truck doesn't burn down. And I would like to do something about my exhaust vibrating on my front spring hanger (noise) and tailpipe rubbing the rear tire. I think that should get me to the trail for this first trip, then I've got another dozen or two issues to fix longer term.

20261004_153123.webp
 
FJ60 rear axle is a project but would be the ultimate E-brake solution and a good fit for the rest of that truck.
 
Yes, I like your thinking. With a SOA swap to address the short driveline. Also gets my 35s and locker. Just got to get my youngest out of college first :)
Soa is going to get more than 35s, unless you like the "i skipped leg day" look.
 
a SOA done correctly (as low as possible) can be a really good fit with 35's. Will ride, drive and wheel really well. Plan on extending the wheelbase in the 5-6" rear at the same time.
 
Back
Top Bottom