Builds New project - 12H-T turbo diesel transplant into my 1991 FJ80. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll be there, looking forward to checking out your handiwork!

Regarding Tranny Cooler, if you get the valve body upgrade and request 3rd lockup, AND you make a few mods to get torque up to the 450nm range, in my experience, which includes Beach work and alot of towing, additional auto fluid cooling to the radiator is not neccessary.

If you use the std slushy wastefull torque converter all the time, get a huge cooler. Personally I like the better fuel economy , more power and less heat of the 3rd lockup.

PS: Also get the lockup speed reduced to 37mph, std I think it is about 45mph. What is it working out to be at the moment? This way, you spend more time locked up and with a few mods you get nice torque around 1700rpm (which should be around 37mph).

As a bonus, it frees up room out front for a big a$$ intercooler :)

So, minor update...

I installed an Ebay special manual boost controller tonight. I guess I could have made one again compying the design that Wayne posted up years ago...I made one out of fittings bought from Home Depot for my former BJ74 and it worked well...but I couldn't be bothered this time.

My Supra turbo stock was only producing about 7 psi max...I intended to only go up to 12 psi max, but when the needle hit 14 psi, I liked the way the truck was moving so much that I thought I would keep the setting there for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. One word to describe how the 12H-T moves the 80 with 14 pounds of boost..."WOW!!!!!!!!!!" :D It sure as heck doesn't feel like a 3F-E.

Gbentink...I'm at factory fuel settings and 14 psi max...do you figure I'm okay for longevity? I'm not worried about my turbo too much because it's a Supra turbo...but I was wondering about my head gasket and engine in general? Thanks for your expert opinion. :cheers:

Gbentink...I'm at factory fuel settings and 14 psi max...do you figure I'm okay for longevity? I'm not worried about my turbo too much because it's a Supra turbo...but I was wondering about my head gasket and engine in general? Thanks for your expert opinion. :cheers:

tweak up the fuel !!!!!! and feel the powa !

Hi Stone, you shouldnt have an ounce of smoke if you havent touched the fuel.

Do not worry about the turbo, it is totally fine with 19 psi with the compressor you have. Need a good flowing exhaust to make the most of it.

Head gaskets - no problem at all, I wouldnt give it a second thought

Adjust the aneroid screw out 2.5 full turns, set boost to 17-19psi, drive it then get out and weep, you will not believe how well it goes.

See my turbine mod, might eb an option for you later. Rebuild kists for the CT26 ar like $65 off eBay, I just used one, works well.

Turbo rebuiild takes 1 hour!

Never needed to do it when I was running up to 27psi for extended periods form over 25,000 miles! Only concern is thrust washer, but this is not a problem on a Diesel as much and especially an auto - it doesnt load up the thrust washer because the on/off boost is not so severe.

Cant wait to see you smile

The motor is apparantly good for over 25psi. In any case, it is power not boost that it the engine limit. The "BANG" is predominantly fuel derived. Extra boost with NO fuel makes little difference.

Why you experienced additional power when you upped the boost was due to the aneroid giving more fuel. Adjust the aneroid stopper screw (right side of aneoid, next to #6 injector) to increase fuel.

Have a friend stand on the side of the road while you make aadjustments and test drive.

Adjust until it smokes too much, then back it off to acceptable.

You will then have a fairly quick 4wd!!

Tapage, I have a question for you.

The 12HT is a noiseier engine than the 1HDT that came in the 80 series, however the NVH levels in the 80 series are MUCH improved over the 60 series. I was wondering how noisey the 12HT is over the old 3F inside the car and also whether the 12HT is fairly quiet with the bonnet down in the 80?

Stone, I'm really happy for you man. Sounds like you've built an exceptional rig. If I'm ever back there, I'll give you a ring. I'd love to see what you've done in person.

Happy wheeling,

TY

Thanks for the advise guys...wow...I can't even fathom what 25 psi is like...won't matter since I only bought a 0-15 psi boost gauge...LOL! Gbentink: The 12H-T is noticable in the 80, but not obnoxious. Sheldon's previous 1HD-T swap was definitely quiter...so much so that one time I was talking to him on his cell while he was driving and I didn't even know. I have a 2.5" exhaust right now with no muffler.

TY...would be good to see you again. PM me if you've lost my contact info and I'll get it to you.

Not much black smoke right now...I might need to have my injectors looked at for routine maintenance and maybe my injection pump timed. I'm going to drive it the way it is for a couple of weeks, then maybe turn up the fuel just a touch. Anyone want to bet that my 13L/100 kms city fuel consumption is going to go waaaay up in the next little while? :D

:beer:

. I was wondering how noisey the 12HT is over the old 3F inside the car and also whether the 12HT is fairly quiet with the bonnet down in the 80?

thought this question goes for Stone .. but the 12H-T it's definately louder compared to any Toyota gasser engine ..

I'm most than scary running more than 14 PSI in my CT26 .. but 25 PSI .. ?

The most that I can make in my setup was 20 PSI ..

Yes, 20psi is about the maximum standard, but I put a larger diameter compressor wheel in mine. In standard setup, I would keep under 20psi just for efficiency reasons - I dont think anything would actually break

Stone, if you may consider higher boost in the future, when reconditioning the injectors it might be worth bumping the injector cracking pressure up from standard 200-210Bar to 210-220Bar

Last edited:
wrongway around

i hate computers nice work with blown merrit man hats off.looking to convret gas 80 to deseil have totalled jdm interested or know anybody.$.call george collect 604 833 1514 vancouver

Hi Tapage,

I wouldnt run 20psi long term on the 1HDT with std CT26. The 1HDT turbo is not operating at its best at 20psi. Good for experimentation IMHO, but thats about it.

Using a nice new Garrett GT25 with 0.86 exhaust housing/71mm 48 Trim compressor then 30psi is no problem :) Apparantly a very nice fit for the engine, and the 1HZ. 200rwhp no problem.

I am mucking around at the moment with my 12HT and posting results, thats all. I plan to upgrade to an arrangement that is good long term (CT26 with supra comp wheel). In that case I would expect ~ 18psi using a bigger compressor wheel.

18psi is fine using stock CT26 1HDT comp wheel, however you will likely be down to 11psi by the redline! I did that with my 1HDT. Really nice torque from 1400rpm though!!

I plan to fit a boost gauge and take some measurements soon enough on mine. Will post the results.

I would also like to fit an air flow meter!

Last edited:
i hate computers nice work with blown merrit man hats off.looking to convret gas 80 to deseil have totalled jdm interested or know anybody.$.call george collect 604 833 1514 vancouver

If you're looking to have someone do a conversion for you...Ciaran Wilson is the guy you want at 604-613-6475. He's a Toyota Master Tech with diesel knowledge. He's done a few of these conversions in the past and the results have been trucks that look like Toyota put the diesel in there themselves. If you need parts related to your conversion, you might want to look up G&S Cruiser Parts.

Minor update:

I installed the Airflow Snorkel that I ordered out of Australia tonight. I was going to go with Safari again, but I thought I'd give these guys a try. Looks like they're made by Gibson's RM, and molded out of virgin PE resin...similar to Safari. I was interested in these because they run lower from the top of the fender than the Safari do, and therefore have more clearance to the power antenna. Also, the body of the Airflow Snorkel is much smaller than the one on the Safari...so these look a little more subtle.

Well...the build quality is not quite the same as Safari...the joints where the two halves come together don't line up 100% on the air ram. There's also a veery obvious seam line that runs the length of the snorkel. Otherwise everything else was well done...and the instructions and template was much better than Safari's. The install was a major PITA because there's actually a rubber corrugated hose that connects the snorkel to the air can.

Overall? I'm fairly happy with it. It's something different.
Airflow_Snorkel.sized.jpg

PS...sold two of my spey reels to pick up this snorkel...I hope the fish gods forgive me this salmon season. :D

Last edited:
PS...sold two of my spey reels to pick up this snorkel...I hope the fish gods forgive me this salmon season. :D

your Cruiser deserve this kind of sacrifice ..

P.S. I like the huge body of the safari and the air ram point sigly lower ..

Hey Tapage:

Now that I've had a chance to own both Safari and Airflow snorkels...I would agree with you that the Safari is better made and aesthetically looks quite a bit more modern (better).

I'm okay with my Airflow...it'll do the job. But if I were to do it all over again, I might go back to the Safari.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom