Builds New project - 12H-T turbo diesel transplant into my 1991 FJ80. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Stone, I did a similar thing. I installed the airflow, dynoed 114kw in 4wd, got some smoke and thought maybe a restriction. This and the fact that I too had trouble with that hose and thought that since I would be going in deep water, might be a source of water ingress, I sold the Airflow (at only a small loss) and installed the safari.... No change in smoke though

Hi Stone, I did a similar thing. I installed the airflow, dynoed 114kw in 4wd, got some smoke and thought maybe a restriction. This and the fact that I too had trouble with that hose and thought that since I would be going in deep water, might be a source of water ingress, I sold the Airflow (at only a small loss) and installed the safari.... No change in smoke though

I thought of the same things. I had to use the plastic size adapter on my air can to fit the hose, and the hose takes quite the bend to attach to the air can. At first I thought I wasn't building boost quite as fast, but after driving it around today, I think it's all just in my head. I didn't really notice any more smoke than before the snorkel.

I think I'll keep it because I'd sure hate to have to deal with patching all those holes if I switch over to Safari. :D

I'm itching to turn up my fuel just a bit, but my truck moves so well the way it is right now.

Hi Stone, I didnt patch the hole frommthe Airflow, I simply rustproofed the cutout and the Safari nicely covers it - if you decide to go that way FYI.

By the way, thought I would add a pic of the 80 that I plan to put my 12HT in....

Another pic of what I would like my 80 to look like, but in Australia, just wont happen!
IMG_0014small.jpg
Rig1__TN800.jpg

Stone- this has been a great post for me to follow. Here's to hoping that I'll be able to complete a similiar swap when I don't have to worry about emissions :bounce2:

I also like to f/f a bit, Would I know you from www.washingtonflyfishing.com or www.speypages.com?

Thanks!

I haven't registered in WFF, but Yellowdog (Paul Kim) is a good friend of my cousin's, and we've fished a couple of times. In fact we all just fished Ruddock's Dam this past May. I also know Thao from that site, but don't know his screen name. Would be hard to miss him as he's pretty much the only really hardcore Vietnamese flyfisher I know. :)

I know Dana from the days when I used to work at Michael & Young Flyshop. Dana taught the spey classes when he wasn't being a school teacher (or was it counselor?).

If you're ever up here swinging flies, be sure to look me up! The past few years have been a write-off due to career and family, but later this Fall or next year should be much better. :beer:

That 80 looks nice, Gbentink...is it gold or white? I think that second 80 would scare most Canadians too. :)

Thanks Stone, I am looking forward to doing something with it!The 80 is white. It is the last of the 80 (Nov 1997) so has the 100 series brakes and ABS. I wanted it because I liked the 40th Anniversary Alloy Wheels and the fact that in Australia, the braked towing capacity of the later models was increased from 2500kg to 3500kg.

I am still playing with my HJ61 and will be trying a modded CT26 combo in ~ 3 weeks time. Hopefully it will work out to be a great upgrade on a CT26, so direct bolt on for any owners of the 1HDT/1HDFT/12HT.

Might be something nice for you to consider down the track.......if it works out.

So... Stone... How has this swap done in the winter months?? How are your current mpg or L/100km #'s looking?

geeze reading this whole thread may cause serious marital troubles for me... well at least if I copy it it will.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan:

The truck is running great! The usable power is much better than the 3FE, and even with the slushbox, it's pretty nice to drive. My tach is finally working thanks to tips from Lynchmob and using a Dakota Digital converter.

My mileage ain't all that great...probably getting only 14.5 US MPG in the city. But keep in mind that the hospital is only 10 minutes away from my place, so the diesel really just barely starts to warm up before I'm at work. Not very good for my truck. I also have 33" tires and a huge Thule cargo box on my roof that's permanently there. Still, even with the lower than expected mileage, I'm happy with my swap...I really love diesels.

I'm considering a few things for the future...a swap to a part time case and 5 spd is being considered, but really, I like the convenience of my auto and full time case. My CDL actuator is stuck right now, I think...so I'll have to think about it when it's time to fix it. If I keep the A440, I'm still wanting to put in the Extreme valve body and torque converter, but it's a lot of $.

I never seem to have as good a mileage as the others on this board...oh well. A diesel in your '96 with lockers would be awesome! A 1HD-T would drop in much easier than the 12H-T...but if you really like the 12H-T like I do, you'll make it happen I'm sure.

:beer:

Hows the rig going? I really enjoyed reading about this swap, I have a factory fitted 12HT in a HJ61 (living down under has its advantages!!) my fuel economy is pretty good, averaging 9klms a litre but work is 25 mins away and mostly highway driving (I have a 5 speed manual also). If you can look at putting an after market dump pipe straight on the turbo, a 3" exhaust with straight through muffler and a quality free flowing air filter will make a difference.

Dump1.jpg

Dump2.jpg

Dump3.jpg

My cruiser may not be fast, but it is comfortable, tows my boat and all my gear when I go away on holidays, and with the long range tank (190 litres) I dont have to stop as often when driving 3000klms to Darwin from Cairns... :)

That dump looks sexy! I actually have a 2.5" straight (well, it has a bunch of bends to follow the original 3FE exhaust route...but no muffler or anything) pipe...not sure I really need to go 3"...but maybe when I need a new exhaust.

That dump looks sexy! I actually have a 2.5" straight (well, it has a bunch of bends to follow the original 3FE exhaust route...but no muffler or anything) pipe...not sure I really need to go 3"...but maybe when I need a new exhaust.

Glad I read the whole thread first:lol:

Amazing swap there Stone. How much $$ in parts (engine incl.) thus far?

Go 3" if you can, and if possible get an aftermarket dump pipe or make one up. Makes a BIG difference to spooling the turbo up quicker...

Hi,

I'm not so sure about the need for an aftermarket dump pipe. A 3" pipe fits into the standard dump pipe and the original dump pipe has no restrictions. As per this link that shows the 3" install on my 12h-t, there may be good reasons to replace the standard dump pipe so as to route the pipe to the outside of the chassis rail - but I would think the standard dump pipe would fit a 3" exhaust in standard fitment position quite well.

I agree the 3" makes a HUGE difference in itself, and allows the boost and fuel to be turned up with most benefit, as per this link.

I've found another benefit of routing the exhaust on the outside of the chassis rail in that it reduces the build up of spinifex, (Aussie desert grass that catches fire really easily), as the exhaust lines up with the tyre track and squashes the grass down.

Tim

Hey can you help me find a 12H-T to go in my 92 FJ80? I am just south of you in Western WA.

Thanks

Patrick

1HD-T A442F out of 91-92 HDJ81 would be an easier find, and easier swap as there is a lot less custom fab work involved.
Have a 1HD-T A442F in the Garage right now.. along with all the little ancillary parts to make the conversion clean and factory like. Will sell the parts alone, but I could also be persuaded to do the conversion if you are not up to it.

Sheldon

Also, I talked with Dave at Japan4x4 and he said to convert the AC compressor you need to swap out the stator, which is about $65.

Im curious if you ended up needing to do this. I am working on this part of my conversion now and this had not occurred to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom