New Member Big Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I spoke to a gentlemen about my specific problem and he referred me to this forum. I hope someone on here can help. I have a 1997 FJ80 40th year Anniversary and my frame is rusted out. I would like to keep the truck. What, if anything can be done?
Screenshot_20230908-142349 (1).png

Hi all, I spoke to a gentlemen about my specific problem and he referred me to this forum. I hope someone on here can help. I have a 1997 FJ80 40th year Anniversary and my frame is rusted out. I would like to keep the truck. What, if anything can be done?View attachment 3423530
Damn Gina..... that's bad. If it were mine I would just drive it and ignore it until it dies. Only fixing the bare minimum. There would be no point in trying to fix that rust. It's like an 95 year old with terminal cancer..... the only real solution is comfort care.

It will never be worth the time, frustration, and money to attempt to repair that damage. You would be far better off finding another 80. What is the condition of the rest of the truck?

Hows the rest of it look? I assume that there's also problematic levels of body rust but I guess it's possible to have that much rust, only on the frame. How is the interior, paint, engine, etc?

As stated above it's likely that finding a rust free replacement is your best option. If some parts of your current 80 are in good condition though they could open up your opportunities for having an 80 without spending more $$ than you want to.

For instance, if your engine is doing great then you could shop for 80s with blown engines that are otherwise in good condition, etc. If somehow the rust is limited to frame/axles and the body is in great shape you could potentially find an 80 with a beat up body and do a swap, etc. All of that takes a good bit of work though and you'll need to know what you are getting into before taking one of these courses or you risk spending more on the swapping/building than it would cost to just buy a decent and complete 80.

Share more pictures, details and your rough goals/budget if you want more specific help from the group.

Damn Gina..... that's bad. If it were mine I would just drive it and ignore it until it dies. Only fixing the bare minimum. There would be no point in trying to fix that rust. It's like an 95 year old with terminal cancer..... the only real solution is comfort care.
Lol,, Thanks

That the one on Facebook marketplace in newland nc? I was wondering why so cheap until that picture.

If the body is truly clean, that is a great candidate for a swap for one like mine with a clean frame/running gear and a crap body.

I laugh because most of the folks replying are on the west coast or in non-rust areas....

Get with @slow95z about a possible frame purchase and do a frame and axle swap.

Is this on the rear half only like someone used it for a boat launch and never washed it off?

You do have a lot of rust there to deal with and that means a lot of broken bolts. You need a lot of bottom end stuff there. Find a parts truck that's in good shape underneath.

Before you do this, though, you need to check your local laws on a frame swap because the VIN is stamped into the frame and now they will no longer match.

I laugh because most of the folks replying are on the west coast or in non-rust areas....

Get with @slow95z about a possible frame purchase and do a frame and axle swap.

Is this on the rear half only like someone used it for a boat launch and never washed it off?

You do have a lot of rust there to deal with and that means a lot of broken bolts. You need a lot of bottom end stuff there. Find a parts truck that's in good shape underneath.

Before you do this, though, you need to check your local laws on a frame swap because the VIN is stamped into the frame and now they will no longer match.
Not me I live 15 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean in Currituck NC plenty of rust around here you should see the 60 a customer dropped off sheet metal is peeling of it.

Not me I live 15 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean in Currituck NC plenty of rust around here you should see the 60 a customer dropped off sheet metal is peeling of it.
But can you throw a chicken through it?

Hi all, I spoke to a gentlemen about my specific problem and he referred me to this forum. I hope someone on here can help. I have a 1997 FJ80 40th year Anniversary and my frame is rusted out. I would like to keep the truck. What, if anything can be done?View attachment 3423530
You need to introduce yourself to @GerhardUngerer, you two have a lot in common.

You need to introduce yourself to @GerhardUngerer, you two have a lot in common.
I would need to see some more pictures. Mine was not quite as rusty, but I do see some painted parts too....!

I would suggest that:
  • Decide why you want to keep it and what you are going to do with it. Mine has a lot of sentimental value and is very dear to Mama's heart. So work and cost is not going to equal $ value once it is done. But it will exceed sentimental value.
  • If you simply want to go wheeling, stop here and wheel it until it can go no further. If you want to restore it, proceed with below.
  • Get some safety equipment - safety goggles, respirator, etc
  • Take a needle scaler and start chipping away at all that rust so that you can see what you are dealing with. I removed both front and rear axles in order to get right in there. It is actually much easier than I thought.
  • Get an induction heater and get good at removing broken off bolts.
  • Get ready for LOTS of work and spending more than you thought. @Malleus pointed me to some parts sources. @slow95z is a great guy and has most of the parts that you will need.
Call if you need. DM me for details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom