New Cruiserdan product giveaway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OooooKayyy....

Now we're cookin with gas......;)

The bar has been set.

Dear Cruiserdan,
I should be allowed to win this contest, because I have a b-e-a-UTIFUL Softtop FJ40 thats in great need of a restoration. My current budget for the project is $0.00, and the "Financial Advisor" of me dosen't think this is too financially appealing. Some parts might motivate him, and get me on the way to OEM. I also love this cruiser so much, that I'd come and work for you if I could get paid in Room/Board/OEM Parts. I also feel that I should recieve the free parts because my local parts dept has a really old guy that dosen't know wtf hes doing. You're much more awesome, and your popularity level with me will go through the roof if you give me the parts. :D Also, my Land Cruiser needs some smog gear, so perhaps some $ will get me on the road to replacement smog gear. Or a new antenna, which disapeared... Or maybe new side windows, which have more stress fractures than Junk's momma after a walk to the mailbox. Or horns, or headlights, or tow hitches, or tow plugs, or one of the many various parts that are broken/rusted/nonOEM/corroded for this odd phenomena called aging. If you do pick my essay, I'll go to my local store, and send you an awesome postcard of Hawaii, or maybe two or three that you can post at your cubical and stare at. You know you want those post cards man... Heck, I'll even send you a keychain!
-Trevor

Last edited:
nakman said:
the 80 is the first Land Cruiser I bought, I’ve got a feeling it’ll be the last Land Cruiser I own.
hah!!! see, not a true cruiser lover...otherwise he'd be thinking of his next one (i'm thinking lifted fj45 and stocker looking early 60's with corrugated top...oh, yeah, and even though they're ugly, an 80 series, or, gasp...one of those "L" word thingies...do i have a problem?). he must not win...he's not worthy! ;)

no offense tim :D

player said:
Dear Cruiserdan,
I also feel that I should recieve the free parts because my local parts dept has a really old guy that dosen't know wtf hes doing. -Trevor

how dare you talk about dan like that!!! :flipoff2:

do i win yet? :D

Dear Dan, or should I say golf buddy Dan. You know nothing and I mean nothing, except cruisers of course, runs deeper than golf buddies. Who supplies you with golf balls and divot repair tools? Riiiiight, your buddy Brent.

I know you've lusted in your heart for my pristine white cruiser. There is no finer maintained pretty crusier in the land.

In my early days here on Mud I made claims of never wheeling, never wrenching, never wanting to mod my truck, right Beo. Thanks to your guiding hand ( and others) and ever so helpful advice and counsel, I've seen the light. Off bent running boards, on sliders, on Kaymar bumper, on skid plate, on fog lights, on OME springs, on Rancho shocks, on airbags, on CB radio, on front mud flaps, on several sets of brake pads from the man (shameless plug intended.....grovel, grovel, grovel), on Revo 285's, on speedo gear, and soon to be on ARB front bumper. Away we go!!

Off to SnT 2004 and 2005, off to Millers J**P trail, of to Anza Borrego, where rumor has it that the pristine white beauty tried to take off with only three wheels firmly planted on the desert floor. Away we go to who knows where next.....oh yea, Anza Borrego again in February for a 4 day adventure!

I could only have accomplished this with your help and advice....and another $100 in OEM parts sourced from the best damn parts manager in all of Toyota kingdom.

Beowulf said:
I don't want to play if IdahoDoug will be allowed to enter an essay. That's simply not fair to the rest of us.

-B-

How true B, even my wife knows of Doug's great yarns. I think the only way I could possibly win is if somehow mine was R-rated.

Doug is swilling rum by the pool. By the time he wakes up, entries will be closed...;)

Any way we can keep this thread invisible to Shahram? Cause if not, then I'm out .. between him and Doug, it'll be close. :)

Cute .. spin a yarn, save yourself from getting needled. :D

TY - *knitted brows*

Dear Dan,

I don't need anything. I live in the best country in the world. My kids are awesome, my wife loves me, and I like my job. Oh, and I get to ski a whole lot. There are other people who need stuff. Lots of other people. I wish I could help more of them. In a way, my wish is partially fulfilled through IH8MUD. Each of us gives something, without any specific expectation of a return. Most of us get more than we give...at least that's my feeling. In a time when community is harder to define and yet more important than ever, how interesting is it that we've found a community here? I've only met a few of you, and yet you are part of my life.

Would a new powersteering pump be a good thing on my 60 - sure - it's leaking all over my airpump. But, if the airpump fails, I can handle it, I'll figure something out. Many don't have that capability. Because of my luck in life, and the knowledge & friendship I've gained here, I'm better off.

No BS, really truely NO BS, find a guy with a broken 86 Corolla, give him a break on the part he really needs. Give it to him on behalf of all of us on IH8MUD. I'll help pay if you want.

Prosperity and health to all,

Best Regards,

Wow Doug, isn't that the spirt. I'm all choked up. Only problem is that it's not exactly true......

You're living just south of the best place to live in the world. :popcorn:

Riley said:
You're living just south of the best place to live in the world. :popcorn:

Ya, BC is pretty awesome. I spend a lot of time there - and (further thing to be grateful about) I get to drive there in a cruiser. Of course, you guys do salt your roads...

It has now been 5,519 days since I’ve been in a Cruiser. The initial sharp pain of loss eased to a constant, longing ache some years ago. Memories of my beautiful ’76 FJ55 are still fresh in my mind and provide associations to other significant events. I never forget my wedding anniversary; not because I remember much of the ceremony or reception, but because I remember that was the day when the DS front fender fell off onto the street in front of my in-laws’ home. I can keep track of my sister’s relationship history be remembering who she brought along on our different hiking and skiing trips in that Cruiser.

Over time, it became necessary to reposition the front signal lamps, but it was difficult to find enough solid metal to support them. Not that it ever needed it, but I took great comfort in knowing that I could push start it from inside the cab by simply removing the floor mats, since they were all that separated my feet from the ground below. Unfortunately the cancer spread further; a rope held the DS doors closed but eventually they bound so much that it was just easier using the PS doors instead. It was time to move on; when I parked it for the last time and set the parking brake, it broke off in my hand – it wasn’t willing to give up and die.

My search for another Cruiser began this spring when I decided to take my mid-life crisis a little early and plan to relive some of those youthful adventures in a more refined manner. Most kids are counting down the days until Christmas, but my daughter and I are counting down the 13 days until the next chapter begins when we’re able to pick up our ’90 HDJ81. A new set of big end bearings and headlamp lenses with a pattern that focuses on the right hand side of the road will get us ready to return to the path of adventure.

Although well equipped and fairly low mileage, there’ll be a fair effort to ensure that all the service history is brought up to date and the never ending stream of PM is started. LOL, I hope that $100 will cover the cost of shipping my first order.

Thanks for offering this fun contest!

-Steve

Why I need to win..

I wish I were as happy as Lovestoski, but this year honest and truly sucked.

Last June I was laid-off and couldn’t find work for 5 months. No steady income and no health insurance. I was bummed. In a town full of high tech companies, it is really difficult to find work as a mechanical engineer. What then made things worse was that my son had an accident that required us to take him to the emergency room....thus forcing me to pay the super expensive COBRA coverage.

If that wasn’t enough, I had just gotten word that my uncle in Houston had a terrible accident and was in serious condition. He was run over by a semi-tractor trailer and had to get a leg and part of one arm amputated. I was shuttling back and forth from Houston to Austin for 2 months. Being unemployed and having to pay for expensive gas really sucks.

Then to top things off, I had to take a dead beat tenant to court for not paying 3 months of rent. I couldn't belive my luck. Two mortgages and no steady income....

Writing all of this down has made me appreciate my new job even more and the fact that my family has made it through this past year alive, and healthy is even better. I don’t know if I really need the $100 in parts, but what I do need is for Dan to put away is knitting needle and keep his cruiser voodoo to himself. I don’t need a head gasket failure or PHH disaster after all of the crap I’ve been through this year.

Almost forgot, I want to thank Dan for helping me complete my OME lift. His 850/863 springs were a nice suprise and emotionally lifted my spirits during that whole unemployment ordeal. :cheers:

Dan,

Thanks for the chance to participate in this contest. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Also - thanks for hooking me up with the oil filters. Several years back I went thru several vehicles - buying, selling and trading. Traded in a truck and tahoe on a new suburban (in my name) for my wife to drive. Remember - this is pre-Cruiser knowledge. I took the extra money from the trade and purchsed a older Mustang. After driving that for a while I found out my wife's sister was selling her '97 white TLC (owned since new). I got on the net and started reading all I could. Well I convinced my wife it would be an awesome vehicle for me. The only catch would be that it is in her name (for credit purposes) - okay no big deal right? Well, three years later (remember - technically we drive each others vehicles) I'm telling her of the maintence I need to perform - valve cover gasket, PHH, possible birf job and a few others. She thinks maybe it's time to sell "her" vehicle, I would get the Suburban (please no) and she could get something new. So you see it's imperative that I win (no cost to us for repairs) to keep "my" cruiser in the loop of those that know what the TLC is all about. Again, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Nelson

The Addiction

By Marde

It all started when Chris decided he wanted a 4 X 4 jeep like vehicle. We already owned a full size Blazer, and we realized the advantages to having a four wheel drive vehicle very quickly. He started browsing four wheel drive magazines and checking the internet for ideas on different vehicles and had narrowed it down to three types: an International Harvester Scout, a Jeep Scrambler, and a Toyota FJ40. We looked at several Scouts and one Scrambler, but we were having a hard time locating a FJ40. Chris never gave up, though, and he finally located one for sale about two hours away. He loaded up the two girls, ages one and two at the time, and headed down the road. Needless to say, it was love at first sight. Forget the Scout and the Scrambler. Toyota Land Cruiser was the only way to go. Chris talked to Scotland (a pretty cool name) about the 40. He explained that he didn't have all the money, but he would have it when we got our tax return in two weeks. Scotland looked at Chris and said he would hold the truck for him. He said he could see the love in Chris' eyes and knew that the truck would be well cared for. He explained that he purchased the 1970 FJ40 in 1975 when he was 16. It was his first love, but he couldn't keep in anymore because he had to move. He could see a kindred spirit. I guess he saw something in Chris that we didn't even see. Several weeks later we loaded up the 40. As we were pulling off, we looked back to see Scotland in the yard crying. It was if he had just sold his only child and he knew he would not ever see it again.

This was the start of a very serious addiction. We brought that raggedy old truck home and started working on it. Our budget was tight, so we could only do a little at a time. The more we worked on it, the more we fell in love. We would do one big project every year with our tax return. It took a long time, but we restored her as much as we could. We gave her a new life. We took an old beat up and abused truck, and turned her into a well loved, beautiful lady.

Our girls loved daddy's "windy" truck. They thought they were the coolest kids around when they rode it. It was their jungle gym. They wore the paint off the roll cage from hanging on it all the time. Imagine the surprise on an adult's face when a little bitty girl corrects them and says, "It's not a jeep. It is a Land Cruiser!!!!" at the top of their lungs. They would scream "woo hoo" and "go faster, Daddy" anytime the 40 was off road. They have been raised as true Cruiser Chicks.

This was only the beginning. Several years later I found a 1994 FZJ80 advertised. We went to look at it, and soon were the proud owners of a second Land Cruiser. Fortunately for us, this one hasn't required near the time or money. The 80 just added to the addiction. Soon after its purchase, we showed up with our two trucks, two girls, then four and five, and our eight month old son at the ICBM run of Lone Star Land Cruisers. What a great group of people—they accepted us right off. We later found out that they don't discriminate. Heck, they even let a jeep and a hummer ride with them!!!! Of course, they took them on the toughest trails to prove the Cruisers' superiority.

Then we found Ih8mud. Now there is not a day that goes by that we don't get on the computer for a few minutes to help feed our Cruiser addiction. We know lots of screen names, and it is like these people are next door. In fact, when talking to non cruiser people, we tell the stories we read about on Mud just like we heard them from our best friend. While we have only met a few of them, we feel like we know them personally.

Will this addiction ever be resolved? I doubt it. In fact, we are finding more ways to feed it. We are always looking for Land Cruisers. If we see one in a parking lot, we put a Toyota Trails on it and talk to the owner if possible. The kids can identify them right off, and have numerous cruiser toys.

This is one addiction that our family will never hide. We will always be a Cruiser family.

Nothing makes a mom prouder then when her children look right into another adult's eyes and tell them, "It's not a jeep. It's a Land Cruiser".

Oh, by the way, I need parts to fix the now broken 80. I thought I would first let you know of our great love for Land Cruisers, then add the post script. Choose me!!!!:bounce: :bounce2: :bounce: :bounce2:

landtank said:
:flipoff2: the essay,

There's a 6 pack of Belgium's finest Abbey beer in it for you if I win :grinpimp:

LOL!

Way to rocket to the top....:hillbilly

A bit short on verbage tho...;)

Inspired by this list, I plan to go through my front axle this summer and disassemble the birfields and swap them side to side to get rid of the 'birfield clatter' that has plagued my '95 since 75K miles, when I bought it used. I'm sure this front end work will consume at least $100 in disposable parts (or that much in paper towels, for sure). My 6 and 8 year old daughters will surely be helping me fix 'mommy's truck' and I'll (as usual) give them the full 'cruiser indoctrination, with shameless claims of superior engineering. A clatter-free front end will surely inspire my wife to realize the 'big savings' of having her husband maintain the entire truck fleet and let me buy another project truck, thus spreading the 'cruiser gospel. You'll sell more parts as a result.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom