Need some quick advice on alt. with vacuum pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Shop told me the first brand new alt. with vacuum pump failed, said seal on vacuum failed. Ordered another, same thing happened, oil going in where vacuum is supposed to go. Is there a secret to how you hook this thing up? Are all Vacuum on top, oil in middle and oil out bottom? Do you need to prime the alternator or hook up in a certain order. I'm lost here.

What alternator are you using? Does it just stop making vacuum?

I don't, its still at shop. But somehow oil is coming out of the vacuum housing. Great knowing I have oil in my brake lines now!

I don't, its still at shop. But somehow oil is coming out of the vacuum housing. Great knowing I have oil in my brake lines now!

You can't get oil in your brake lines from your vacuum pump. You can fill up your vacuum tank and vacuum lines to your booster pretty quickly, however, if the oil return and vacuum lines are swapped.

Thats what I thought they did. Bet if they would have taken a picture before unhooking it would be back at my house right now. Is the alternator toast if they hooked up backwards? Or can you clean it up and HOPEFULLY hook it up right?

Could it be brake fluid? If the master fails, the Vacuum booster could be filling up with brake fluid.

Jeep masters.
Hmmm...I wouldn't bring my Land Cruiser there but they should know what they are doing. I have brought Jeeps there in the past. They are knowledgeable Jeeps guys.
Only other thing I could think of is the return line might be clogged resulting in failure?

I'd also post over in the Diesel forum... I've never seen a Alternator with a vacuum pump face to face. the Vacuum pump on my 7.3 PSD is a different beast.

I knew that was coming.
I went for a drive in the 40 last week wearing a Jeep Masters t shirt. Didn't realize what I was doing until I was already on the highway.

Hmmm...I wouldn't bring my Land Cruiser there but they should know what they are doing. I have brought Jeeps there in the past. They are knowledgeable Jeeps guys.
Only other thing I could think of is the return line might be clogged resulting in failure?

At this point I would try anything. Its been in the shop for a month waiting for the second alternator to arrive from Australia. And now the second one is doing the same thing. I just wonder if they don't have the oil in and out backward, but SHIRLEY that cannot be it. I just hope once they figure it out the alternators aren't ruined.

I'd also post over in the Diesel forum... I've never seen a Alternator with a vacuum pump face to face. the Vacuum pump on my 7.3 PSD is a different beast.
Haven't messed with my 7.3 yet but my Cummins is different as well. It's a combo with the power steering pump. Here is my NPR alt on my BJ40.
FullSizeRender.jpg

No one around here seems to understand the diesel dinosaur. They are good at everything else 4X4, so I figured why not.
I haven't brought anything to them yet but Austin Fuel Injectection & Performance Center is a nice diesel resource. They are a Bosch service center and all diesel guys. I will be taking my injectors to them soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom