Native SJ/CA 87 FJ60 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been looking across California for our first FJ60 for quite awhile now. Finally found the one for us. Tan 87, 233k miles. It was purchased and spent most of its life here in San Jose, only migrating less than 100 miles north before I brought her home.

Good visual bones/virtually no rust but needs some mechanical attention. As background, I’ve done pretty significant engine work on old Fords and rebuilt the top end of a Disco II. I hope to do most if not all of the restore work myself (along with my 17 yr old son) But, wrenching a Toyota is new to us, as is significant suspension and transmission work.

It’ll be used as our occasional driver at our new home in the Sierra mountains. I hope it will get us into many fish, birds and adventures.

Not sure how often I’ll be able to update, but, thought I should capture the trials and tribulations anyways. Thanks for the wonderful resource here!

When we brought it home we did a more complete visual inspection and slid a piece of nice new cardboard under it.

This revealed some exciting opportunities and upon further review, a few items that Toyota has apparently decided should become collectors items/museum pieces.

First things first, stop agregious leaking on my garage floor. Climbed under the truck and found two main(ish) sources. Fuel pump leaking onto the protective grime and dripping from multiple places and transmission area, generally.

So replaced the fuel pump and associated lines ASAP.

Will need to explore the transmission issue more fully and, most of the hoses look like they need to be replaced as well. Oil cooler and the little pump thing connected to the oil filter are leaking nicely as well.

I won’t even mention the gnarly 1/2 thick molton chocolate cake covering the ends of the axles and wheels. Ignoring that for a later day.

Also, the idle was a little low and chunky. After staring at the pile of spaghetti on this Toyota piece of engineering magic for a good 20 minutes I finally heard, then saw, the source.

image.jpg

Plugged it back on and it fixed the problem.

Our next immediate buy/fix is a source for the FSM as the Chilton isn’t going to cut it. Anyone have a recommendation?

few people have it here online for free. Look up spike strip and it should be in his sig

Thank you, super helpful. Just so I’m clear, I’ll need to DL the latest to my build for the 2F engine manual, chassis, emissions, Aisin hubs?

And while I’m asking simple questions, would my rig have come with the Aisin hubs?

Thanks for helping out.

Thank you, super helpful. Just so I’m clear, I’ll need to DL the latest to my build for the 2F engine manual, chassis, emissions, Aisin hubs?

And while I’m asking simple questions, would my rig have come with the Aisin hubs?

Thanks for helping out.

I would have Aisin hubs unless they were swapped for something different (unlikely but possible)

A quick post about leaks:

The source of the leak coming from the transmission dust cover appears to be the rear of the oil pan gasket. Actually, the whole gasket is leaking but an active drip here. Would this also potentially indicate a rear main seal?

4F225D29-8D1E-47E0-87F7-FF970AAA32FA.jpeg

Seeping from the oil cooler and oil pump thing as well (I forget what is called). Parts on order.

7FACEDB7-227F-473C-92E0-81DAE41DFAAF.jpeg

Water leak from the EGR tube. New gasket ordered for the new tube the P.O. supplied with the rig. I’m not sure what this leak means, but, I don’t like it.

873F4B91-A565-43F1-AC1F-4D135AAEDFB4.jpeg

Donated a little time trying to clean up the knuckles. Here is a lava cake before and after. Not totally clean but will hopefully help me ID what needs to be fixed. Any ideas? I’m no expert in this area.

F529C136-C521-46AB-B595-060F363E60F1.jpeg

After

94740517-4B7A-4D12-BF04-AB308AA03EB5.jpeg

Rear main seal is needed along with a front axle rebuild. Nice rig! I use to live off Hwy 4 and spend many winters in Bear Valley. The oil cooler is another common leak area, all fairly routine items for a 30 year old rig.

The family and I went to our place in the mountains for the holidays which gave me a great excuse to put a few miles on the cruiser. First things first, the tires were cracked, old and looked prime for a blowout. This put me in a bit of chicken or the egg scenario as I intend to lift the truck and fit 33s. I went ahead and fit the post lift tires and hoped for the best. 33x10.5 with no rubbing on a stock suspension. Not a fan of the look but at least it felt a little safer.

4A08BFE8-D7DE-4CCD-8F77-778124B5A1E4.jpeg

I put about 350 miles in at freeway and mountain climbing speeds. There really is no better way to bond with a vehicle than hours solo with no radio. I discovered a few things about the cruiser.

1) temperature gauge barely rises. I’ve ordered a new thermostat and sending unit but would love to fit a mechanical guage. Any tried and true options for these?

2) I lose a small amount brake fluid pretty consistently. No idea what’s happening here.

3) It appears it will need a new clutch fairly soon. Most definitely after I teach our 17 year old how to drive stick!

While I was away the neighbor fixed the stock radio that came in a box supplied by the PO. I’m debating whether I try to put it back in and fix the wiring or go with some sort of new tech old look option. Would love ideas if you guys have them.

E028E3C1-B4E8-4DAA-8342-20A8B38CF8D7.jpeg

And lastly, a birthday present from my wife and son!

B2563922-9097-4213-8ED7-D93DF6ACBD47.jpeg

Last edited:

The source of the leak coming from the transmission dust cover appears to be the rear of the oil pan gasket. Actually, the whole gasket is leaking but an active drip here. Would this also potentially indicate a rear main seal?

View attachment 1600821

Seeping from the oil cooler and oil pump thing as well (I forget what is called). Parts on order.

View attachment 1600822

Water leak from the EGR tube. New gasket ordered for the new tube the P.O. supplied with the rig. I’m not sure what this leak means, but, I don’t like it.

View attachment 1600823

Donated a little time trying to clean up the knuckles. Here is a lava cake before and after. Not totally clean but will hopefully help me ID what needs to be fixed. Any ideas? I’m no expert in this area.

View attachment 1600824

After

View attachment 1600825

You need a knuckle rebuild. Search "Knuckle Rebuild" here on Mud and you'll get plenty of information on how, parts needed, where to buy parts, etc... Knuckle rebuilds are rites of passage to new cruiser owners. Good looking 60 and keep us posted on your progress.

Silly question - is knuckle rebuild the same as axle rebuild? Also, for staging purposes, I plan on new OME suspension. Is the easiest as an independent project or together with the knuckle fun times? Same question for RMS - along with the clutch or separate?

Thank you guys for everything!

Silly question - is knuckle rebuild the same as axle rebuild? Also, for staging purposes, I plan on new OME suspension. Is the easiest as an independent project or together with the knuckle fun times? Same question for RMS - along with the clutch or separate?

Thank you guys for everything!
Is the clutch having issues? It's normal for the clutch to engage in the last bit of the pedal travel even when brand new. To replace the RMS you have to pull the transmission, clutch, and flywheel so yes, those would be done at the same time.
Lift and knuckle could be done at the same time, you will want the axle u bolted to the springs when you do the knuckles (not necessary but you will be driving races and such) but the lift may be easier with it down to a bare knuckle...just more room to work.

@orangefj45 is a good source for the the rebuild kits.

Welcome to the madness.

Last edited:
Welcome, nice one you have there.
There is a discussion here about the temp sender and gauge. I chose to stay stock, it’s good enough for me.
Either way when you replace the sender be sure to search here on clearing air out of the system. It turns out the sender itself can have an air bubble in it that causes havoc with the gauge readings.
The knuckle (axle) job is not hard but very messy. Might as well do the brakes and wheel bearings while you’re at it.

Welcome, nice one you have there.
There is a discussion here about the temp sender and gauge. I chose to stay stock, it’s good enough for me.
Either way when you replace the sender be sure to search here on clearing air out of the system. It turns out the sender itself can have an air bubble in it that causes havoc with the gauge readings.
The knuckle (axle) job is not hard but very messy. Might as well do the brakes and wheel bearings while you’re at it.

Thank you. I appreciate the tip.

View attachment 1600821

View attachment 1600822

View attachment 1600823

View attachment 1600824

After

View attachment 1600825

View attachment 1600821

View attachment 1600822

View attachment 1600823

View attachment 1600824

After

View attachment 1600825
sometimes that nice cake build up serves like a blood clot and stops bleeding/leaks. Once you remove that build up, you may find more messy leaks ensue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom