NAPA Eclipse Calipers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sdsysdesign.com
With all the recent brake talk, I thought it would be a good idea to order a set of replacement calipers. The NAPA Eclipse seemed to be the caliper of choice around here and they were significantly less expensive than OEM.
Turns out, it's pretty obvious why. One of the pistons looks like Chinese pot steel, the rest of them look like they were put on a belt sander, and the non-OEM seals don't sit properly to the housing on all 8.

These will not go on my vehicle.

20181216_090313.jpg

Last edited:
The calipers I got from Advance Auto looked much better made than those.

I got a set of rears from NAPA a while back and they were actually for 100 series Cruisers. In NAPA's system they showed as interchangeable parts, but they are not. Took them 2 days to get the correct caliper in stock from a location in another state.

Rebuilt mine using stainless steel pistons, half hoping that the pistons last forever. On the other hand, OEM chromed pistons are still available from Toyota.

I was under the impression that NAPA rebuilt Toyota calipers and ground off any identifying marks that related to OEM. Glad I just rebuilt mine instead of going through the hassle. Thanks for the information.

I was under the impression that NAPA rebuilt Toyota calipers and ground off any identifying marks that related to OEM. Glad I just rebuilt mine instead of going through the hassle. Thanks for the information.
Yea, I've been rebuilding calipers for years. The thought was to have a full set of spares that I can rebuild at my leisure, leave them on the shelf, and swap them out to minimize down time.
Oh well, it was a good thought.

if they do im sure that they just use the core and cheepo components for the other things

Same experience with the NAPA this week. Got them. They sucked. Pitted, corroded, surface rust. I returned them and got the Toyota iterations. I just don't have time to d!ck around anymore.
I just wish I knew someone who could possibly get them for me.

Fudge! That puts the last nail in one more coffin for me.
@beno : That caliper you show is an OEM rebuilt, or 100% new? I seem to remember you were not impressed with Toyota's rebuilts from another brake thread. Also, I seem to remember the "S13WC" casting from the '00-late '04-'05 Tundra. Same caliper?
Are you keeping those old cores?

I got a set of rears from NAPA a while back and they were actually for 100 series Cruisers. In NAPA's system they showed as interchangeable parts, but they are not. Took them 2 days to get the correct caliper in stock from a location in another state.

We usually specify parts for a 96 when ordering for any 97. Many of the aftermarket listings get the 97 confused with the 98 on some parts. Even one of the Toytoa dealer sites listed my 97 as having a 4.7 v8 and IFS. Don't know if they ever fixed that.

Crap, Tundras were "S13WE, and S13WL"

Sounds familiar. Who do I know who deals OEM parts for a living?

I rebuilt my oem ones with the factory kit when I got my truck. That was almost 100k ago. They worked well. But if I could get new oem piston for a reasonable price I would do it again. Some of my piston were not perfict. I do get a little uneven pad were. So maybe things are sticking just a little.

I rebuilt my oem ones with the factory kit when I got my truck. That was almost 100k ago. They worked well. But if I could get new oem piston for a reasonable price I would do it again. Some of my piston were not perfict. I do get a little uneven pad were. So maybe things are sticking just a little.
OEM caliper piston 47731-60010
About $20.

Does anyone have the part numbers handy to re-build front calipers completely?

Does anyone have the part numbers handy to re-build front calipers completely?
04479-60020 front caliper overhaul kit. Does both sides.
04479-60030 rear caliper overhaul kit. Does both sides.
Kits DO NOT include banjo bolts, crush washers, bleed screws, or pad retaining hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom