Builds My New Project (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mounted up my 4+Plus front bumper today.

Also, got all the shocks installed. As luck would have it, the last shock's threads were bad on the welded on mount for the rear. I sure wished I'd noticed that when the body was off. I ended up grinding the diameter down to thread the next size smaller.

5EF66F82-DF6B-4F14-8900-50CAEC745E19.jpeg

Looks like the bumper gussets worked out .

Lots of work getting done lately, you have a 2019 event you are trying to make?

Sure is turning our nice, I’m enjoying all the updates.

Lots of work getting done lately, you have a 2019 event you are trying to make?

Nothing specific other than I'd like to be able to drive it to my Colorado place next year. I trailered my FJ40 out there last year and 650 miles wasn't fun pulling with a 6-cylinder Toyota 4Runner. I'm retiring to the mountains next year if all goes as planned.

I'm not sure I can get it together for something this year but who knows. I'm really ready for paint but need warmer weather.

I make a little progress then life gets in the way. I bought a Speed Hut GPS gauge cluster to install and I have a draft CAD layout to maybe have something 3-D printed. I just don't want a flat sheetmetal dash. I want some character since I don't have any original dash padding left.

As for the rear bumper, I'm not sure. I'll probably find someone to break some metal to mimick the front somehow. I do things the hard way because I just don't want a piece of channel or rectangular tubing hanging on the back. I need some good inspiration. Thinking something with a spare tire swing out like my FJ40 since I'll have 35's eventually.

I'm gearing up to begin painting. I've procrastinated long enough so I need to get started. I'm thinking I can start with the interior by taping it all up and shooting in the driveway if the Oklahoma wind calms down for a weekend. After that, I need to find a place better than my garage. My wife isn't happy with paint fumes.

It seems every time I come back from vacation in Colorado I get motivation to work on the pig. Got her out for some final inspections to dee if I'm ready for paint.

Ummm. No not ready. I found cracking on the roof. I pretty sure it's just that my high build primer was applied too thick without proper time to flash between coats. I spent the day sanding it down but did find one section of bodywork that needs redone because filler turn out to be thicker than expected.

I'm not sure why I'm so anal with the roof, you have to be 7 feet tall to see it.

Anyway, it all ended with a sweet drive through the neighborhood! It was the most it's been driven since I've owned it. It was a proud moment and put a smile on my face.

2B8BBDD1-C1FF-482B-BD3B-51BCF93061FA.jpeg

AF888607-9093-488E-83A4-3927341B3E51.jpeg

56D5C485-0838-4FA8-8117-7139A7433C8C.jpeg

A9DBE67C-B06F-4064-8ED4-280E74F50953.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not sure why I'm so anal with the roof, you have to be 7 feet tall to see it.
Because you have pride in your work something mostly lost on our current generation of young adults. The term “I did my best” used to mean I kept at it until the job was done correctly, today it means don’t judge my failed attempt.

The pig looks great thank you for the update I’m excited to see this one finished.

Today was going to be paint day! I finally decided to bite the bullet and paint my pig in my garage. I hung plastic sheeting around the walls to not get overspray on everything. I was ready to go.

I spent a couple hours getting things taped up and then started to wipe it down with cleaner/degreaser. That's when I noticed cracking on my roof. The moisture of the degreaser highlighted what I couldn't normally see. @#$$&&*&$##. I have a few choice words for the previous owner's neighbor who stepped onto roof and created this extra work in the first place.

No painting today! I debated just going ahead but I know I'd regret it.

I decided it was time to start over with the roof. The flex in the roof is problematic with filler especially after the roof was caved on creating oil canning issues. I think this next time I'm going to use a reinforced filler with fiber strands. There's so much unsupported surface area on the roof and any flex when blocking creates cracking problems.

Two steps forward, one back.

04278E7D-7C19-4A84-AA1B-C01D4D1BB390.jpeg

6F277488-0B40-4DA3-B311-F9B2FC55E914.jpeg

89DD153D-756C-48CA-992D-E0DE6AE17239.jpeg

That’s a huge slab to get right, good luck! (I’m no body man)

I'm not as talented as Ron. I need a headliner to hide all the evidence of my hammer and dolly work.

especially after the roof was caved on creating oil canning issues.
Do you have a shrinking disc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom