My new arrival, Jimboomba- an '84 HJ47 Troopy (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I also got a start on replacing the old ambulance door glass seals with a set from Racer65. The old ones were glued into place with some nasty black adhesive and was a major mess when I pulled the windows. Took prob an hour to get all of the gooey glue cleaned off.

Here is a pic after I had the one on the right installed. Hard to tell from the pic but it was a huge improvement. I used the rope method and and a little soapy water it was back in place. Thanks @Racer65
IMG_1336.JPG

Magnificent, welcome to the RHD world

I had a little time to tinker so I got the other rear window seal installed and took some polishing compound and wax the back doors. The paint on the back had a little bit of oxidation and had streaks from the tar like adhesive the old window seals were glued in with.

It turned out good and matches the sheen of the rest of the troopy. For 32 year old paint it doesn't look too shabby!

IMG_1337.JPG

Last edited:
I also decided that I wanted to black out the metal trim around the four side windows so everything blends better. I decided to try Plastidip, figuring that if it looked like crap, I could just peel it off. Here is what it looked like before the Plastidip.

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1338.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

The rubberized surface matches nicely with the rubber seals for the window. The Plastidip lays down nice and thick without running. I sprayed 4 good coats.

Durability wise, it feels a little soft but we will see how it holds up.

Last edited:
Justin, I like it a lot....

Mark

Justin, I am glad you like your rig and are having fun ironing out all the little things. Really it should be called Chinchilla though as that is where it spent most of its life until the original owner passed away and the daughter was given custodianship...

I have to say it is the nicest Troopy we have ever shipped, I think you got a great deal.

Justin, I am glad you like your rig and are having fun ironing out all the little things. Really it should be called Chinchilla though as that is where it spent most of its life until the original owner passed away and the daughter was given custodianship...

I have to say it is the nicest Troopy we have ever shipped, I think you got a great deal.

Thanks Phil, I couldn't be more happy with the troopy. You made it happen for me and even with customs hijacking it for weeks, you still delivered right on budget. I'm very grateful for all your legwork and owe you a few :beer::beer: cold ones next time your out this way.

Justin I am hoping to make it "home" in 2017, I missed out this year because I was too busy packing vehicles for y'all! There will be quiet a few clients around the Portland area I would like to catch up on. It is always fun going to a car show here and seeing something you imported in the field. I don't know if there has ever been a time where I have seen more than one vehicle at a show that we imported.

I remember seeing this on Gumtree and thinking it was a really nice looking troopy (like a lot of the vehicles that end up state side). Unfortunately we have so many of them here they are under appreciated (value wise) and you need to be quick to get a good one.

Hope you and the family enjoy it, your situation is one I will facing shortly.

I saw this build and it reminded me of JimBOOMba.

Toyota HJ47 Troop Carrier - Styrene Body Build-Off

Jimboomba went on a diet and lost about 200lbs off the front end.
IMG_1414.JPG

New OEM bumper p/n 52111-60030. Picked it up from trdparts.com for $135 to my doorstep, best deal I could find out there.

Not sure if the driving lights will stay or go. I also pulled front mesh grill and emblems and gave them some needed attention. Most of the emblem color was faded off. A steady hand and it turned out nice.

IMG_1415.JPG

Last edited:
Jimboomba went on a diet and lost about 200lbs off the front end.
View attachment 1348001

New OEM bumper p/n 52111-60030. Picked it up from trdparts.com for $135 to my doorstep, best deal I could find out there.

Not sure if the driving lights will stay or go. I also pulled front mesh grill and emblems and gave them some needed attention. I emblem color was faded off. A steady hand and they turned out nice.

View attachment 1348005
Very nice Troopy!! Does the OEM bumper come painted??

Now for some questions for y'all.

The troopy has a bit of a stink bug stance. I'm thinking the rear spring packs have add a leafs. I took measurements and my 40 I no longer have stood at 34.5 inches at the wheel well with an OME springs. The same measurement on Jimboomba..

View attachment 1336469

View attachment 1336476

It's kind of hard to see in my pic but there is a super thick leaf second from the bottom. Does anyone know if this is an add a leaf?

View attachment 1336472

Not sure if anyone answered this question yet or not. I think those thick leaves are stock. My Chilean 1981 troopy had them as well. It was designed to haul 10 adults remember. The P.O. of my troopy removed those two thicker bottom leaves and it still had room for 35's (315) with no lift.

Have you burned through a tank of fuel yet? What kind of fuel economy are you getting from the 2H?

Not sure if anyone answered this question yet or not. I think those thick leaves are stock. My Chilean 1981 troopy had them as well. It was designed to haul 10 adults remember. The P.O. of my troopy removed those two thicker bottom leaves and it still had room for 35's (315) with no lift.

Have you burned through a tank of fuel yet? What kind of fuel economy are you getting from the 2H?

Thanks Owyhee, that is good to know. At some point I may pull those lower leafs to soften it up a bit.

I've only burned through 1/2 tank so far. I haven't calculated anything but I can say it's drinks a lot less that my petrol cruisers. When I picked it up it was about a 50 mile drive home, 65mph average and it barely used up any gas

Yesterday was a big day for
Jimboomba. New set of 33x10.50 KO2's mounted on the late FJ40 wagon wheels. I had second thoughts right before mounting them up and considered going with black steelies with clips and hubcaps. In the end I really wanted to see what these would look like so here she is...

IMG_1429.JPG

IMG_1430.JPG

IMG_1433.JPG

Now I need to source another one of these wagon wheels for a spare. Plan so far is to get a 4plus rear tire carrier for it eventually. I just prefer the look of the spare on the back, rather than underneath.

Also forgot to mention, Most importantly. Happy Veterans Day to all of you past/present service members out there. Nothing but respect, admiration, and thanks from this American.
IMG_1434.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom