My new arrival, Jimboomba- an '84 HJ47 Troopy (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Vacuum is generated from a pump on the back of the alternator and routes to a canister then to the booster. The canister should be located in the drivers floorboard attached to the frame.

I was chasing the tubes from the booster and saw that. What a difference from a gasser. I pulled the hose off the booster and it was holding pressure. I also noticed the brake light on the dash comes on after I pump the brakes a few times although fluid level is fine. I also noticed that there seems to be a lot of suction/pressure inside the reservoir as the top will deform up and down when pumping. Rear drums seem to work great, front discs- nada.

Wow! You scored big here. Time capsule machine. That floor is unbelievable. You sure you want to leave it exposed?

Does it have A/C and/or power steering? Would love to see a shot of the engine compartment.

Here are a couple engine bay pics @Racer65. I won't leave the floor exposed. I put back the grey felt carpet that the PO had down. Figured it has done a good job so far of preserving it. No AC or power steering. I think some of the AU spec FJ45's got those options but I don't think the diesel HJ's, at least the troopys ever did. Your electric power steering is on my wish list for this truck.
IMG_1284.JPG

IMG_1282.JPG

G'day Justin, I don't know if you are interested, but I reckon it might be worth spending 20 minutes cleaning out your fuel separator of 'sedimentor' With my previous diesels, I would crack the 10mm bolt and drain any water that had collected whenever I serviced it. In my current build I found that the separator was so full of gunk that I'm not sure it was doing much 'separating' at all. I reckon it would be worth unbolting it and just cleaning it out of any mud and sludge. The condition of some of some of our outback fuel stops means that the fuel can be contaminated with dust and dirt. Cheers, Ben

Thanks Ben. I will definitely check/clean the sedimenter. I was told the Aussie diesel fuel can be nasty.

When I picked up the troopy, the mechanic recommended draining all the fuel. The tank was 3/4 full so I didn't. I do have a new fuel filter ready to install after next fill up. I did an oil/filter change yesterday and was amazed how much oil the 2H takes!

Last edited:
Congrats !!

It's always nice to see a very beautiful Troopy,

The unique shape the truck is in makes the green and striping look very beautiful.

Enjoy !!

:cheers:

FYI it's pronounced with the emphasis on boom. Neat rig! Up the 2H!

Here are a couple engine bay pics @Racer65. I won't leave the floor exposed. I put back the grey felt carpet that the PO had down. Figured it has done a good job so far of preserving it. No AC or power steering. I think some of the AU spec FJ45's got those options but I don't think the diesel HJ's, at least the troopys ever did. Your electric power steering is on my wish list for this truck.View attachment 1336664
View attachment 1336665
My '81 Aussie-spec had a Nippon Denson AC but not power steering and drums all around.

...an it was HJ47

Awesome rig, can't wait to hear (and see) more about it. Was it fully titled,ect. when you picked it up?? never dealt with importing anything but have thought about a troopy for a long time.

Awesome rig, can't wait to hear (and see) more about it. Was it fully titled,ect. when you picked it up?? never dealt with importing anything but have thought about a troopy for a long time.

No, It doesn't come titled. I have to take the bill of sale and customs paperwork to to DMV, jump through some hoops, and write them a big ass check! Just waiting on all the paperwork to arrive in the mail then I'll be dealing with all of that.

Justin, that Troopie is unbelievable. Wow.... Lucky you.....your family must be excited. We really do need to get together with some of the other 45 guys here in Oregon and have some good conversations (show and tell) "grown up style" Can't wait to see this one.

Mark

Justin, that Troopie is unbelievable. Wow.... Lucky you.....your family must be excited. We really do need to get together with some of the other 45 guys here in Oregon and have some good conversations (show and tell) "grown up style" Can't wait to see this one.

Mark

Thanks Mark,
I think the first road trip in Jimboomba may be down to Jackson County in November. I will let you know if it happens, I would love to admire/drool over your trucks. Maybe what we need is our own PNW FJ45 run?

Sounds good Justin, just let me know. @justlurnin and I have had this same discussion about a run or get together. Maybe this can happen....

I need to finish my freaking engine swap so I can actually join in a 45 run!! I think it would be a blast!! All I need to do is figure out the ignition system (basically just wire up the dizzy, coil, starter), extend the wire for the oil pressure sensor, and finish the plumbing and I'm ready to roll.

Thanks to you rustic I have downloaded the gumtree app and now spend even more time drooling over cruisers on the interwebs!!! I too have 5 in the fam plus 2 dogs...I may be in the trade my 78' 40 for an Aussie troopy market... beautiful rig man, I'm super jealous!!

Figured out my brake issues I was having. I pulled the piston bolt on the side of the master cylinder to find that the nipple part on the end of the threads was wrecked, not sure how the hell that would happen. Sure it wreaked some havoc inside the MC.

IMG_1335.JPG

Bought a new master cylinder and the front brake issue is solved.

I also discovered the LSPV- (load sensing proportiong valve)was leaking so I bypassed the valve. When I get to it I will pull the LSPV and see if I can rebuild it. In the mean time I'm going to install an aftermarket proportioning valve if needed.

I capped off the return to the front brake line with a bleeder nipple.

IMG_1327.JPG

I was going to use a union to bypass the valve but it left too much brake line exposed and I figured, why have another source of a potential leak, so I pulled the union, removed the short hard line that runs from the valve to the soft brake line. I then took the main hard line running back and coiled it a bit then connected it to the soft line at the bracket.

Much cleaner than my initial attempt. I would have just shortened the hard line but wanted to leave the length in case I can rebuild the LSPV and return it to the factory setup but for now. No more leaks!

IMG_1333.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom