My 80 Evolved - 1997 40th Anniversary v3.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FloridaFJ80

Roaming Land Cruiser Heaven
Threads
Website
www.landcruiserheaven.com
Those that know me would say, "WHAT another 40th anniversary 80?? You just sold yours." Well my answer is yes another one. I couldn't live with out having an 80. I would have to say that my favorite LC would have to be the 80 series. Before the purchase of this 80, I had a DD 98 Lexus LS400 which I sold. I had gotten a BJ70 at the time as well so that was my DD until I decided what my next DD would be. So I perusing around CL, I found a rust free unlocked 1997 40th Anniversary in Sage with 159k on it. Well needless to say I jumped on it.

Rig had been parked for a few years and had some fading on the clearcoat. It also has a small knock, PO said it was a wrist pin. Tranny shifts a little hard as well, has a front main leak. I thought perfect another project. I can do a 5 speed swap and rebuild the engine. Now my issue is will I have the time.

Here she is the day I picked her up:

IMG_3879.JPG
IMG_3895.JPG
IMG_3896.JPG
IMG_3897.JPG
IMG_3898.JPG

So I got it home and couldn't live with how ugly she looked with the faded hood. So I took her to get a face lift. Took advantage and removed the roof rack and rear spoiler.

File_001 (1).jpeg
File_002 (1).jpeg
File_002.jpeg
File_006.jpeg
File_008.jpeg

Last edited:
Paint job turned our really good. Opted to wait a few weeks to give the clear coat a wet sanding so in the meantime started to take apart the interior to put in a new carpet.

IMG_4173.JPG
IMG_4177.JPG
IMG_4178.JPG
IMG_4179.JPG
IMG_4184.JPG

Last edited:
So it was time for some new shoes. I had purchased a set of 80 series wheels and had gotten them powder coated in a dark grey. Mated them to a set of 285/75R16 BFG KO2. Loving the look...

IMG_4185.JPG
IMG_4186.JPG
IMG_4188.JPG
IMG_4194.JPG
IMG_4198.JPG

I had laying around my shop a set of Dobinson Monotube Remote resi shocks that i wanted to install on my 80. Coming from a 4-5" lift on the my previous 80, I wanted something more mild and capable. I didnt want to go with a big 35" tire and didnt want a lot of lift. But due to the fact that these are Long travel shocks, the smallest lift i could do was a 3" Dobinson Medium lift. So I got my Dobinson springs Front coils (C59-170)
Rear coils (C59-315). It was a little higher than what i wanted but it was a sacrifice I had to take in order to use my shocks. I need to make a bracket to properly mount the remote reservoir to the truck.

IMG_4207.JPG
IMG_4315.JPG
IMG_4316.JPG
IMG_4317.JPG
IMG_4321.JPG

Here is the finished product of the Dobinson 3" suspension lift. Overall very happy with the outcome. Loving the look with the 33's. No trim spacers are used at this time.

IMG_4323.JPG
IMG_4327.JPG
IMG_4329.JPG
IMG_4330.JPG
IMG_4331.JPG

So now its time for some armor. I went with a front ARB bumper with a Warn M8000 winch. Really happy with the look. Waiting on my rear slee bumper to come.

IMG_4875.JPG
IMG_4877.JPG
IMG_4880.JPG
IMG_4905.JPG
IMG_4956.JPG

nice, 40th annies are awesome... One of the pics with wheel off shows the rear driveshaft pointed the wrong way, no?

This is brings us up to date. I have a set of Land Cruiser Heaven 40th anniversary seat covers ready to install, giving the interior a new look. I just moved to Virginia so my 80 build is on standby until I get her up to Virginia. Right now focusing on another build which is a 2000 LX470. Teaser shot.

IMG_4960.JPG
IMG_4962.JPG

nice, 40th annies are awesome... One of the pics with wheel off shows the rear driveshaft pointed the wrong way, no?

You are correct hadn't noticed that. Still havent baselined the rig. Have been enjoying modding it. Lol

Sure you'll get to it, nice cruisers man! Cruiser envy:cheers: ...

How do you like the Dobinson lift compared to your last 80? Also with the 285's, whats your review as far as drivability/ride quality over the bigger tires? Can't wait to see this rig finished!

Nice 40th! Very well done thus far. Looking forward to possibly crossing paths. Might ask for some good spots to get some work done as well.

You do fantastic work man.

How do you like the Dobinson lift compared to your last 80? Also with the 285's, whats your review as far as drivability/ride quality over the bigger tires? Can't wait to see this rig finished!

I had a Dobinson 4-5" suspension on my other 80. I just had replaced the springs, but not the OME L shocks. I have a full Dobinson suspension now and I am very happy. My truck is a little light still waiting on the rear bumper and add more weight. But overall very happy with the suspension. The 33's are a welcome upgrade vehicle has a nice stance and drive ability is not affected, she doesnt seem to be hung up, gets up and going when needed. From the pics when I add the rear bumper she will level out though you can kind off see the rear is a tad higher than the front, so another plus is no need for any trim packers. Have them to install but dont think they will be needed.

Replaced my OME J Springs for some Dobinson 4" Heavy duty springs

Nice 40th! Very well done thus far. Looking forward to possibly crossing paths. Might ask for some good spots to get some work done as well.

Give me a shout would love to hang out with another fellow mudder.. Cheers

Very nice, glad to see you kept on with an 80! Subscribed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom