Builds My 45PU has an LV for a friend... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guess these trucks were not painted then behind those panels...just primed. Panels were painted in place....makes sense.

We've been prepping the truck the last couple of weeks for the interior coatings in between customer paying jobs. Had a few rust repair jobs that needed to be done on the truck too.....had a little more rust in it that I had expected. Nothing too horrible...just delayed things. I have another LV in the shop that I am comparing mine too...it's rear floors are spotless....wish I had that rear section in mine. Oh well. We stopped the rust, filled in what made sense, the rest will be fine.

We gutted the doors this week, we will spray them with sound control Lizard Skin next week. We used the rust sealer on the areas where the felt and outer door wiper go....we'll glue those on today I think. Then new glass goes in with some cleaned up window regulators. Should be as good as new.

Got our first coat of sound control in the truck....we'll do 2 more coats I think when we do the doors.

P7288732.JPG

P7288735.JPG

P7288736.JPG

We've been prepping the truck the last couple of weeks for the interior coatings in between customer paying jobs. Had a few rust repair jobs that needed to be done on the truck too.....had a little more rust in it that I had expected. Nothing too horrible...just delayed things. I have another LV in the shop that I am comparing mine too...it's rear floors are spotless....wish I had that rear section in mine. Oh well. We stopped the rust, filled in what made sense, the rest will be fine.

We gutted the doors this week, we will spray them with sound control Lizard Skin next week. We used the rust sealer on the areas where the felt and outer door wiper go....we'll glue those on today I think. Then new glass goes in with some cleaned up window regulators. Should be as good as new.

Got our first coat of sound control in the truck....we'll do 2 more coats I think when we do the doors.

Had a good day today...put on a coat of Lizard Skin(ran out of sound control so we had to wait for more to come in....amazing how well this stuff works).....and got the windows all buttoned up(as well as spraying in some sound deadener in the doors).

All new rubber and glass. Really nice.

I've got more quarter windows if anyone needs some....I had 6 cut, used 2. Amazing how much of an improvement new glass makes.

20170801_120319.jpg

20170801_120409.jpg

20170801_173930.jpg

20170801_173939.jpg

Got to play with this pain in the ass too. Not easy. I think all my hinges are worn. Hopefully they come apart OK. This one took a lot of work.

My lower hinge on the driver's door is a real mess. Someone drilled it and installed a big bolt. I have some spare hinges but not that one. We'll see how that one works out.

I may see if I can't find an allen headed bolt that I can make work with the bushings I have. A bolt would be really cool as I could apply a little tension on the hinge to just barely squeeze the bushings....zero slop.

20170801_173715.jpg

Windows look nice. Is that vent window gasket from SloCruiser (pretty sure as they are the only new ones available)?

I think they were from TLC. These were with an LV I bought years ago from a mudder. He had a bunch of cool new parts that I kept when I sold the truck.

The ones we took out were actually pretty nice. Hope my tech kept them. Might have to do some dumpster diving tomorrow.

Lizard Skin Ceramic Insulation went in today. One step closer to being able to spray in the Raptor liner and FINALLY start assembling the interior.

Got a sweet little early bodied truck in for a client. It's mounted on a 77 chassis. We build our FJ40s like this...early trucks wth late model drivelines. This one is already done so lucky us. Clean truck. Body was found in a warehouse...new old stock supposedly. It's spotless. I've never seen anything like it. Very very happy with it and I know the customer will be too.

20170803_171903.jpg

20170803_164730.jpg

20170802_115910.jpg

Is that a newer hood?

The hood on the yellow one is weird....it's an old hood that was filled in. This was an FST truck too so it had hooks on the hood...those holes were filled in as well. Not sure if someone was trying to go with a newer looking rig or just a smoother look. I kind of like it.

I'll have to put it up on a lift and get some pics of the underside of the body...it's pretty amazing.

P8028773.JPG

Got our hinges all wrapped up...my lower drivers side hinge was a disaster (had a huge bolt threaded into it). We were able to add a couple of more bushings to it, round off the top of a new bolt, thread that bolt into a steel insert we pressed into the bottom hinge and then thread it all in. the doors are perfect now. I have been playing around for 5 years with this truck opening the doors, closing them...hating it everytime because of the blown out hinges. Now I have doors that work probably better than new.

20170804_093710.jpg

20170804_091904.jpg

20170804_091916.jpg

20170804_093657.jpg

Here's the completed hinge installed. Great setup.

For the other hinges, since they didn't have a giant bolt in them, we simply removed the pins, drilled the center part of the hinge out to accept the bronze bushings, popped the bushings in, reassembled and that's it. Right as rain. With the oil impregnated bronze, they glide super easy...it's like they're floating.

20170804_164640.jpg

We got to spray our Raptor in today...it looks tan in the pics but it's more of a greenish color. Looks really nice. Raptor is one of the nicest products to work with I think. I love spraying that stuff.....very rewarding. And kind of hard to mess up.

P8078790.JPG

P8078792.JPG

Yep, venting for gas tank. Rubber hose goes to the one that is longer, the other is left open for venting.

That's what my guys thought. I haven't dropped the tank to poke around and look for vents.

Last bit of rust repair....tomorrow we spray lizard skin....let it dry for the weekend and shoot the Raptor in on Monday. Then, hopefully, we get to the fun stuff....like fabricating, running lines and getting this thing running!

Picked up a super clean FJ40 from NV to join the fleet....not sure if this one will be for a customer or for me. I kind of like it.

P8098796.JPG

P8108806.JPG

20170808_124343_HDR 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom