Mustard vs Gear Oil - FJ40 Transmission Fluid Options (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting my 40 ready for her maiden (to me) voyage, and was checking my driveline fluids when I came across this interesting sight. I guess my question is, when replacing the mustard fluid in the transmission, is it best to stick with the OEM Yellow Mustard? Has anyone had problems with honey or Dijon mustards in their transmissions? My stomach doesn't like the spicy mustards but perhaps the pep will be good for my 40?

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

That's a very unnatural color for even the stankiest of tranny's, looks like paint!
Curious if it has the consistency of transmission fluid or????

That's a very unnatural color for even the stankiest of tranny's, looks like paint!
Curious if it has the consistency of transmission fluid or????
Like cartoon paint! Smelled and felt like gear oil still, but super weird the color. I'm familiar with the milkshake from coolant and leaky HG, but this is new to me.

Since it's an early four speed I would suggest removing the on for a PTO on the left side and have a look inside.
Great call, I'll do that.

I don’t think it’s supposed to be that color, looks like water got in there…..a lot of water!
My working theory is the trans was submerged and water got into the breather and then sat for decades.

Wow! I wonder if that is fluid meant for some other application or some off brand that made it that color to be special.
Any water I have ever seen mixed with gear oil, quite a few times with Outboard Engines, it always had that milkshake color.
Even the synthetic Lower Unit Oils still had the milkshake look.

That color looks like the marking paint for setting gear mesh to me.

But how much would be needed to maintain that color and not be deluted?

Little late now but if the transmission was allowed to set for a while water would settle at the bottom. Had a cruiser I bought for parts the engine had the wrong head gasket installed. Cracked the drain and let the water drain out then closed the drain. Changed drain pans and drained the oil. Water was pure water and poured down the drain. Oil was recycled. Auto parts stores can be picky about what your dropping off. They could get upset with milk sake mix. Not sure what recycled oil is used for any more. At one time it was used to keep the dust down on dirt roads. Had an oil Ford van the ran like a top. But blow by was really bad. Use to buy an oil called Rev that was made from recycled oil. Twenty five cents a quart it was in the engine long enough to go bad. Van had a 302 with a column shift three speed. Gas mileage was well over twenty miles per gallon. Never figured out the oil use per mile but had to be a lot.

Wow! I wonder if that is fluid meant for some other application or some off brand that made it that color to be special.
Any water I have ever seen mixed with gear oil, quite a few times with Outboard Engines, it always had that milkshake color.
Good point.

Lower unit milkshake brown I’ve seen. This a’bird of a different color. I’d be curious to see what everything looks like inside the Case...🤔

Last edited:
That is definitely something meant to be that color. Maybe some type of industrial fluid.
Proof again that even the most mundane task can turn into adventure in an FJ40

Good point.

Lower unit milkshake brown I’ve seen. This a’bird of a different color. I’d be curious to see what the everything looks like inside the housing.🤔

Ok So this is a thing…apparently, the guys on the tractorbynet forum have seen this before…

So "Hot Dog" is still available I guess.

Not many people know what yellow Cel Vinyl looks like. I'm impressed.

Drain it, turn it in on your next hazardous materials collection day, and move on.
This is going to the recycler for sure. I’ll probably drain-n-fill once or twice and let that be that. Can’t win’em all, or at all.

Man that sucks, I guess a best practice when you get your hands on new to you LC should be to dump all the fluids before you turn a wrench so you know what you are up against. I wonder if you can test to figure out what that crap is? Maybe all is not lost.

No experience with this but maybe something close to what you have

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom