More fresh air in the cab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now that the roof is on the interior is pretty warm and stagnant.

Mine is '73 with wind-wings, a vent just in front of the windshield, fresh air through the heater duct, and no pop out windows on the roof sides.

The fresh air fan sucks warm air from over the front fender near the headers so its warm.

I'm thinking of trying to draw cool air from the top cowl vent, powered with a boat bilge fan, and directing out below the dash.

Has anyone tried a booty-fab vent like this, or any other ideas for cool air?

Thx, B.

Does your have the kick vents? My '78 does and I believe my bro's '76 does as well

I have a 78 with the kick vents and the rear pop-out windows, but the cab still gets pretty hot. Was thinking of going for extra heat shielding in the engine bay and around the exhaust. I will be interested to hear how your idea works if you go that way.

Oh yea, kick vents too, but I don't use those either because they get hot air off the headers.
I get good air from the wind wings and I think I'm going to put little extensions on the edges of the glass for more scoopage, but it would be great if I could channel some cool air from the center.
I'll keep you posted...

'73 should already have a cowl vent damper that can be lifted to draw air in.

Yes it does, but I want more :)
I think I'm going to try the boat blower and some ducting and see what I can come up with.

BTW, I ordered some rubber parts from you Racer. Great quality and price, especially the big roof gasket. Thanks!

Bilge Blower is just going to pump more air in. I don't think San Diego is as hot and moist as Friggin' Fla. Down here in Florida I keep my kick vents open without the top on but it's amazing how the heated engine air flows right into them. It's good for Colorado cool temps... another heat source but that heat is actually overpowered when it's actually cold out.

But what the heck give it a go.

Hey! maybe put the bilge fan so it's sucking the hot interior air out! Older Cruisers are hot boxes but there you go. They are not no way and no how SUVs. But the proper term for good old 40s are TUVs. (Tough Utility Vehicles.)

Toyota at one time offered several fresh-air solutions:

1. "Bug catcher" windows . . .

ebay_151634096577_19.jpg

2. Windshield frame vent . . .

myfj40-3.jpg

3. And for even more flow, of course, a split-windshield . . .

images.jpeg

I like your idea. Let's ask @Downey if it's been done. He would know.

I wonder if anyone has ever fabbed up scoop on the cowl vent. Perhaps that would ram more air in the cab.

Small boat bilge fans are very loud and don't move enough air to make a significant difference. I've got them in a different vehicle and they do little other than create noise.

Rear kick out vent windows help a lot.

My solution is top off, doors off open air. A totally different experience. Bikini top if you need, and a jacket when it is cold.

One time I had an extra set of ambulance doors on my '76 that had no glass. The openings in the rear really helped with ventilation with the top on. Try opening up some exhaust ventilation in the rear and give your fresh air somewhere to go.

I've been tossing around this idea for years but haven't installed one yet, how about a bus fan for more fresh air?

images (7).jpg

Great info and ideas guys! Thanks.

I had a bikini top on for the previous 8 years and it was great. I cleaned up and installed my hard top to make it more of a driver, so I could stay dry and lock it up, now I've got temp issues.

I like the scoop idea.. fab something up and attach it with magnets so its only ugly when it needs to be. I might do that.

I had no idea about sliding windows. I swapped those into my old bug and it made a WORLD of difference! I would do that too on the cruiser if they're still available. (edit: still available at SOR, but tinted glass. ARgg, might be a no-go)

The bus fan is also a great idea. I'll probably give that a go too, seems like a simple and effective mod. Good enough for a Mi-24 Hind, good enough for my 40.

Split windshield would be SWEET, but I be they don't come cheap!

And... AC. That would be great and I'm thinking about that for the future. With my experience with the VW bug pop-outs, I'll start looking around for that option.

Thanks again all!
B.

Last edited:
63-65 fj45 wagons had a cowl vent that raised with the open end facing the hood(like a hood scoop ) it brings a ton of air into the cabin......also bugs. I havery one of the original plastic screens from the vent but it's just a bit different than my vent...darn 45 wagons had some random changes

I like your idea. Let's ask @Downey if it's been done. He would know.

I wonder if anyone has ever fabbed up scoop on the cowl vent. Perhaps that would ram more air in the cab.

That's another great idea. I could replace the grate with a flat plate that hinges up. I like that idea, thanks!

Oh, now that is a cool rig Landpimp. I dig the fender mirror

A ton air in the cabin would be nice. How about a low profile scoop that sits on top of our existing cowl "grate". Use the 3 rearward most screws to hold it down. It could be removed. @Awl_TEQ @RDC76

IMG_3761.JPG
IMG_3762.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom