Builds Moonshine - A Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you use the band clamps you showed earlier to make it interchangable?

Exactly. I built the exhaust a year or so ago and put up a bunch of pics in this thread. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll find the exact post number for you.

lol - this "library" of posts does need a 'card index' drawer to find things - awesome but huge

dougbert

lol - this "library" of posts does need a 'card index' drawer to find things - awesome but huge

dougbert

I need to go back and make an index of projects like Mike (boots) did for his build thread.

I need to go back and make an index of projects like Mike (boots) did for his build thread.

great idea, got a link to Mike's for a pattern to use? My thread is starting to get too big for me as well, while yours is King Kong's size.
As my "renewal" got larger and larger, I am sort of all over the place as I proceed in the pages. I am starting to see the end (of Stage I) though.

dougbert

It started out as a good idea but after a couple of site updates some links and page/post references are broken. I haven't been back to continue updating it and fix it yet. Just click on my build thread in my signature to get there.

It started out as a good idea but after a couple of site updates some links and page/post references are broken. I haven't been back to continue updating it and fix it yet. Just click on my build thread in my signature to get there.

I understand the problems :)

I just build a CONTENTS section in my first post so I can find things, also listed in my sig
I didn't got by sections because I worked on various subprojects at different times so they are NOT in order

thanks

dougbert

After picking up the driveshafts from Oliver's Driveshafts Tuesday night (I highly recommend them) I got the rear installed before we left Wednesday morning. Didn't get to the front because it was pouring that night. Washed, loaded up and ready to go!

IMAG1488.jpg

IMAG1490.jpg

IMAG1494.jpg

~440 mile trip ended up taking us 9 hours. Went through Chambersburg, PA on the way up instead of up 85 to 95 to avoid DC/Richmond traffic. The hills made it slow going. I need an intercooler badly. Stayed in 4th gear at 1200* nearly the whole trip up, save one hill that had us down to 2nd.

Drank, swapped tires and my front driveshaft, then slept. got up early to wheel.

IMAG1495.jpg

IMAG1496_BURST001-PANO.jpg

IMAG1498.jpg

IMAG1499.jpg

I lost a bead on this obstacle, and @hman913 lost a coolant hose.

IMAG1500.jpg

IMAG1501_BURST002_COVER.jpg

IMAG1502.jpg

IMAG1503.jpg

IMAG1504.jpg

IMAG1505.jpg

IMAG1510.jpg

IMAG1511.jpg

IMAG1515.jpg

@dubsb

IMAG1517-MOTION.gif

IMAG1522_BURST006.jpg

IMAG1528.jpg

@FJ60Cam I think that's your mud handle :D

IMAG1529-MOTION.gif

IMAG1537.jpg

Some carnage in @hman913 's 40 lead to a tow home to prevent more damage. Moonshine was selected as the tow vehicle due to the weight, motor and axles.

IMAG1539.jpg

IMAG1542.jpg

IMAG1543.jpg

That evening was spent discussing the day's carnage, drinking and prepping for the next day.

IMAG1545.jpg

IMAG1547.jpg

IMAG1549.jpg

This is a trail called Cemetary. This is where the wheeling part of my CMCC 2014 experience ended.

@woytovich @jonheld

IMAG1552.jpg

IMAG1553.jpg

IMAG1556.jpg

IMAG1558-MOTION.gif

IMAG1565.jpg

Somehow, the 32 spline upgraded yoke from Advance Adapters split into three pieces on Cemetary, taking the driveshaft with it. Never did I ever think that this would break. Drove out with front wheel drive and a tow from that black 80 you saw a couple of lines up.

IMAG1566.jpg

IMAG1568.jpg

IMAG1569.jpg

That evening resulted in a call to Advance Adapters (at 4:45pm Eastern) to have two yokes overnighted to the campground. Heavy drinking ensued, then Saturday was dedicated to putting Moonshine back together.

We suspect a casting defect, since the 1310 u-joints were still intact and looked serviceable. The driveshaft was "taken out" because one of the CV mounting ears was bent out a couple of MM preventing it from being installed, but that's about it. I would have bet money that the u-joint went well before anything related to the transfer case.

IMAG1579.jpg

IMAG1581.jpg

The other three surfaces are flush, this one is obviously not.

IMAG1584_BURST002.jpg

IMAG1586.jpg

Got her pieced together, won some stuff at the raffle, ate, drank and slept, then made the trek home. My pyro completely stopped working on the way home, so the entire 9 hour ride was horrible, as I was terrified of melting down my motor. I drove by the boost gauge, keeping it below 5 PSI.

IMAG1588_BURST001.jpg

All in all, it was an amazing trip!! Thanks to everyone at GCLC for an awesome time as always :D

The direction of this build is about to take a pretty drastic step soon, as it relates to these hardcore wheeling trips.

Nice report.

Bummer about that fancy driveshaft, but decent recovery. Did it bend when it broke, or was it "pre-bent"?

With some decent driveshafts and a new boost gauge, you're ready for Rubithon.

What is the drastic step?

Drastic as in lockers? I don't know that my back/neck can tolerate any more unlocked tows.

No, lockers are necessary, but aren't considered drastic in my book. I'm talking about something bigger.

Nice report.

Bummer about that fancy driveshaft, but decent recovery. Did it bend when it broke, or was it "pre-bent"?

With some decent driveshafts and a new boost gauge, you're ready for Rubithon.

What is the drastic step?

I'm not sure what the root cause of the failure is yet. Two of the bolts were still as tight as ever, one was sheared and one was loose. I was thinking that loose driveshaft bolts might cause something like this, but I don't know. I need to bring the driveshaft back to the shop to have it rebuilt and see if the centering pin failed or not, then call AA to see if they've seen this kind of failure before. I did just put this driveshaft on immediately before leaving, but it made the 440 mile trip to CMCC without issue.

For the drastic step, I'm thinking something bigger. Something that can tow. I love my hardcore trails, but I hate the stress of "how am I going to get home". I thought that one ton axles were going to fix that aspect, but it is apparent that they only helped.

Tow rig would be nice to have. Better get it now if getting married is still on the table.

Still, HighAngle Drive shafts and a rear Detroit and you are ready for anything. (I think you need a locker-at least in the rear.)

Digging the pics, looks like fun rocks to play on.

Pyro could be a simple loose wire. I had that happen to me as well on a trip and it was just a wire that had gotten loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom