Monstaliner Bedliner

Discussion in 'Paint and Body' started by Mace, May 22, 2011.

1. magnetman

magnetman

Need to let the liner cure at least 10 days. I waited 30 days.
    There are different types of vinyl and they are all rated in years for their exterior longevity.
    Whatever you do make sure that you use or specify "cast vinyl" not "calendered " vinyl and something that has at least a 5 year rating.
    The cast vinyl has a lot more stretch to it and it will conform more easily to the texture of the Monstaliner .
    It's also got better UV resistance and it doesn't dry out and become brittle.
    3M makes the best and most expensive vinyl.
    Oracal is the other company that I feel is just as good for less money.

Cast vs Calendared Vinyl

Skydog likes this.
  2. 2fpower

2fpower

Is that Han Solo?[​IMG]

3. ColoradoLC

ColoradoLC

Add another white 80 to the list of Monstalinered Land Cruisers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love it. I also posted under "What did you do with your 80 this weekend" thread, but wanted to post here too, since this is a great centralized thread.

Details:
    • Rolled on since I did it in my garage and I didn't want overspray everywhere. I used a fine foam roller from Home Depot to it wouldn't have as rough a finish
    • I only used 1 gallon for the truck and my rooftop box (3 coats each)
    • Observant people will notice the door handles have not been painted. I did this so I could keep the tape on as long as I could, and I'm going to go back and finish them next
    • I probably spent 20 hours on prep with at least 10 of those hours on sanding to smooth out what I had to work with, which was faded white paint with some minor hail damage, surface rust, scratches, etc. It looks better now that when I bought it 10 years ago
    • I used black to repaint my bumpers, which I bought powdercoated 2 years ago and were already showing a lot of rust (I do live in Colorado after all)
    Thanks for those that answered my previous questions in this thread! Much obliged!

Now if I can just fix my electrical short, I'll be back to 100%!

NateMob and Dalton wyatt like this.
  4. ColoradoLC

ColoradoLC

I thought the same thing when I saw that. Uncanny resemblance.

oldschool4wheeling and gregnash like this.
  5. magnetman

magnetman

Beautiful job! Got any before pics?

6. ColoradoLC

ColoradoLC

Thanks! It looks great in my opinion too!

Here are a few before pics. You can see where the paint is faded and the rear picture show the surface rust from dents and scuffs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CRSHR likes this.
  7. Dalton wyatt

Dalton wyatt

That turned out great. The smooth foam roller makes it look SO nice. I'll be going this route also.

8. stpetedale

stpetedale

Great job!! I'm currently trying to decide between white and light quartz grey. Just purchased the white rollers from HD. Big thanks to salvage dog for sharing his experience with whizz rollers! Did you reduce product to achieve smoother finish or was it just the rollers? I'm guessing it only took 1 gallon of product because your 80 was white to begin with. I thought the minimum for an 80 was 2 gallons.

9. magnetman

magnetman

I'd love to see what that roller looks like myself. I suspect that part of the reason for low consumption may also be due to the smoother roller applying the coating thinner. (White base also will be a factor)

10. mypancreasbroke

mypancreasbroke SILVER Star

This looks absolutely gorgeous. Totally impressed with your work, this color, and the outcome. Definitely motivated to finally get my truck painted this spring. I've put off finishing body work for about two months now, but think I'll get back at it this weekend.

11. CRSHR

CRSHR

I’m about to buy a 2 gallon kit with the desert sand tint. Comes to like 325 ish. Anyone got a coupon code? Desert sand really a sand color? Thanks

12. CRSHR

CRSHR

13. maxamillion2345

maxamillion2345 Can you really overland without 40s?

Media:
    Albums:
    Any opinions on what colors appear to be closest to the Toyota Cement Gray color? Medium Quartz Gray?

My 80 is I think the Toyota Blue Slate. It looks to me like Pyroclastic is closer to that but its hard to tell even with paint chips.

14. Kleatus

Kleatus GOLD Star

Has anyone here applied tintable monstaliner without tint? Results? Pictures? @magnetman

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  15. CRSHR

CRSHR

Today’s the day! Any suggestions on grit to prep the body for liner? Plan on using a DA. Thanks!

E6A58430-720F-47DC-9791-CF8687F154BF.jpeg

Stumpalama likes this.
  16. WillGentry

WillGentry

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey guys, I need some advice. Applying Monstaliner soon, but I have one worry! I am replacing 3 body panels on my 80 series from multiple salvage trucks, as my truck has some front end damage. My 80 is dark green. I have hood and grille valence from a white lx450, and a front fender from a black 80 series. Will my colors come out looking different on the donor panels? Using light quartz grey if that matters. @magnetman

17. mypancreasbroke

mypancreasbroke SILVER Star

Seconded. Hoping to paint in March/April. Originally maroon 94, but with a white LX hood and driver fender. Planning to go desert sand. I would assume with good prep and two coats, all should be well, but would like to hear from those with experience.

WillGentry likes this.
  18. 2fpower

2fpower

You should not have a problem with coverage; however, i would plan on three coats if you are spraying. Also, you may want to pull all the pieces so you can do the jam area in liner, otherwise, those area's will show the different color.

19. aviafx

aviafx

Media:
    I painted midnight special over grey, tan, and blue body panels, coverage and color was even. Two coats worked for me. The paint is like yogurt, it’s fairly thick.

WillGentry likes this.
  20. WillGentry

WillGentry

Media:
    Albums:
    This is a relief, thanks man!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.