Model year vs Production Date For fJ40's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My Aug '69 is a '70.

That seems a bit extreme, don't it?

I think what we are going to discover here is that the only hard and fast rule is that nothing is an absolute. Only "most of the times"..

I have a 9/69 that is a 1970.

Alan, what's your cruisers serial number?
20170228_235321.jpg

I have a 5 of 68 that is titled as a 69 I am just happy when I find the part that fits correctly and works

View attachment 1411652 Well, at least one 12/78 had the gas tank under the body and a square bezel..
#fj40-296348

But the pbrake was still on the dash ;)

Mace how long have you owned your 78? With this newer 78 still having the fuel tank inside, your door VIN plaque held on with screw and the fact the hand brake was still on the dash bring up the question if your tub was replaced in the past. My 68 was still stock when I bought it in 74. Drive train have been driven hard and put up wet more than a few times but still stock. By 94 I had a 73 hard top on with pop out vent windows from a 78. Bucket seats and console from a 74. Rear heater added from a 70. Four speed transmission from a 76. Front doors and roll bar from a 79. Jump seats from a 76. I've run factory soft doors and factory bows with Kayline tops from a 69 and 73. Never got around to installing a tailgate from a 71 FST. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things. Because of how long the 40 series ran this very common. How many different companies own jeep during this time all making changes?

I have a pretty close serial number of between 11 and 12 of '78 as well. My model year is also a 78.

I think another thing that confuses this subject is some states seem to want to determine what model year a vehicle is. Toyota hasn't help either. Early sixties the model year was on the plaque under the hood. They dropped that and owner's manual did not have a model year listed until 73 or maybe a little earlier. 78 did have the model year on the owner's manual. Just like all the body parts switching having a owner's manuals and original tool kits got removed over the years.

Mace how long have you owned your 78? With this newer 78 still having the fuel tank inside, your door VIN plaque held on with screw and the fact the hand brake was still on the dash bring up the question if your tub was replaced in the past. My 68 was still stock when I bought it in 74. Drive train have been driven hard and put up wet more than a few times but still stock. By 94 I had a 73 hard top on with pop out vent windows from a 78. Bucket seats and console from a 74. Rear heater added from a 70. Four speed transmission from a 76. Front doors and roll bar from a 79. Jump seats from a 76. I've run factory soft doors and factory bows with Kayline tops from a 69 and 73. Never got around to installing a tailgate from a 71 FST. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things. Because of how long the 40 series ran this very common. How many different companies own jeep during this time all making changes?
I know he's had it since at least April 2000 when I sent him a 3-speed bellhousing for his SM420 swap.

According to the chart in post one, it shows serial number 335.... as being a Feb '81. My production date shows Feb 1982, but my serial number is 3353231. Maybe I should double check my serial number again, but if that is the case, am I looking at an '81 and not a '82?
I hate to tell her she is a year older. You know girls and that age thing.

I think @Mace is going to discover that his 78 tub isn't a 78... That vin plate is sketchy at best. I would have a look at your frame number and see if they match. And if they do, see what the tub to frame mounts look like. See if you can tell some mods have been done. I have a suspicion something ain't right.. But I could be wrong...:cheers:

It seems like Toyota was all over the place with production cut-off dates relative to model year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom