misfire shake down trip work (250K) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thanks.
sorry i have worked on horizontally opposed 2 cylinders but i get tripped up on this.
1. so it is valve cover, head and then bottom end i guess?
2. you can do the spark plug tube seals by just doing a valve cover gasket?
3. the head comes off (of the bottom end) any time you do a head gasket?
no oil in the coolant. it's bright green.
and the radiator doesn't leak.
i mean for the longest time i just expected to add oil until i could get to the whole thing. ans i guess i would still be thinking this if i don't throw two cylinder misfire codes when running it super hard? one with an old plug and one with a newer 1,000 mile old plug?
i did that little bypass with the resistor for the p0320 code i think it was? thinking i would i clean the throttle body when i did head gasket.
she runs really strong at least as far as i can tell. i was really hammering it on some steep hills for a full day of driving.

You should definitely try and do the headgasket job and film the whole thing for us....

Did you watch the video I posted from Otramm? It walks you through the whole thing, step by step.

1. well i am starting to wonder if finally doing a compression and a leak down test will actually answer for me whether i do in fact need to do a head gasket now?
The definitive test to determine if you need a head gasket is a combustion gas test. Cheap and easy to do. Start with this first.

hey LN.
i appreciate that. i've been trying to find the time to tackle things and it's slow going.
i am pretty sure i tried a head gasket test (i definitely bought the kit) when i was tracking down an always empty overflow jug. turned out it didn't leak "on the bench" but was leaking with hot coolant.
i could always do it again.
part of what i am trying to figure out is if it makes sense for me to do something like valve "cover gasket plus" in addition to coils and plugs and leads? supposedly the distributor cap was replaced in the last 50K by the previous owner.
also what about doing the ignition coil or whatever? one poster here seems to think it could be misfire from the oil fouling a plug which make sense since i ALSO got the code on a 1,000 mile old plug.
someone else was saying head gasket.
unlikely distributor?
what about the ignition coil (or whatever).
it's helpful to learn the names and my way around the engine. i don't know i'd do more than plugs and coils and maybe a distributor cap up here by myself but if i get help at a reasonable price i'd like to do what makes sense.
THANKS

Stop complicating it. Do what Charlie said. Plugs. Pull them-especially the stuck ones. You probably have no electrodes left on them.

Cap, rotor, and Wires then drive it and observe.

Stop complicating it. Do what Charlie said. Plugs. Pull them-especially the stuck ones. You probably have no electrodes left on them.

Cap, rotor, and Wires then drive it and observe.

Listen to the Advanced Trig Professor himself, do what Pell says and you will generally be in good shape^

Listen to the Advanced Trig Professor himself, do what Pell says and you will generally be in good shape^

OP, I have seen numerous posts of yours over the past few years. You are not ready for a head gasket job at this point. It doesn't require a lot of skill but it does require a lot of knowledge about your truck and the parts involved.

You are mentally going down a rabbit hole. Do the compression and leak down tests. Replace the plugs. I would probably just go ahead and do the wires (use OE) and the coil. The distributor is probably fine. If you want to replace the plug seals and VC gasket, that's a relatively quick process.

My original head had a crack, but it sat at the shop for over a month before they could get to it to do the pressure check. I then spent a month getting another head and two months getting it back. It is not a quick process. For me, the entire head replacement took about 6 months. Are you going to be there for 4-6 months for the process? Are you going to be near a competent cylinder head shop to begin with?

Also, "bottom end" means pulling the entire engine. Do you have an engine hoist where you are? And a machine shop you can trust?

OP, I have seen numerous posts of yours over the past few years. You are not ready for a head gasket job at this point. It doesn't require a lot of skill but it does require a lot of knowledge about your truck and the parts involved.

You are mentally going down a rabbit hole. Do the compression and leak down tests. Replace the plugs. I would probably just go ahead and do the wires (use OE) and the coil. The distributor is probably fine. If you want to replace the plug seals and VC gasket, that's a relatively quick process.

My original head had a crack, but it sat at the shop for over a month before they could get to it to do the pressure check. I then spent a month getting another head and two months getting it back. It is not a quick process. For me, the entire head replacement took about 6 months. Are you going to be there for 4-6 months for the process? Are you going to be near a competent cylinder head shop to begin with?

Also, "bottom end" means pulling the entire engine. Do you have an engine hoist where you are? And a machine shop you can trust?
yeah. thanks. just gathering info. appreciate the heads up. i'm figuring out what i have access to, and what things might look like based upon feedback here and going to decide here in a bit. of course i appreciate your help/concern.

curious what the motivation is for cooler range spark plugs. No judgement here, just curious.
i think because the code was happening after running it super hard for a whole day. so i think "colder" plugs are happier in a hotter engine if i am not mistaken.
plus i think it could be people think i am getting the code in texas where it's like 105dF could play a part in it even though i got one in LA and one in WVA.
i am kind of taking a shining to the idea the misfire is due to oil fouling since one was pulled after a thousand miles with a code. but i am not totally sure why it would only happen after a full day and running it hard?

i think because the code was happening after running it super hard for a whole day. so i think "colder" plugs are happier in a hotter engine if i am not mistaken.
plus i think it could be people think i am getting the code in texas where it's like 105dF could play a part in it even though i got one in LA and one in WVA.
i am kind of taking a shining to the idea the misfire is due to oil fouling since one was pulled after a thousand miles with a code. but i am not totally sure why it would only happen after a full day and running it hard?

Bear in mind the wide range of conditions the factory plugs are designed to endure. A colder plug probably won't fix your problem, it is an underlying condition.

curious what the motivation is for cooler range spark plugs. No judgement here, just curious.
When using LPG fuel it burns hotter than petrol so a colder plug is used to accommodate for this.

Ive been using LPG on my motor & colder plugs for over 20 years without any issues plus i also use the Flashlube upper cyl lubricant via the intake manifold vacuum

When using LPG fuel it burns hotter than petrol so a colder plug is used to accommodate for this.

Ive been using LPG on my motor & colder plugs for over 20 years without any issues plus i also use the Flashlube upper cyl lubricant via the intake manifold vacuum
He doesn't have LPG. None of us here do.

He's just overthinking it.

Actually introducing new issues by having different range of plugs in different cylinders.

Maybe he should pour a bunch of Seafoam in it too!

Bear in mind the wide range of conditions the factory plugs are designed to endure. A colder plug probably won't fix your problem, it is an underlying condition.
yeah. two main theories seem to be oil fouling the plugs (at higher rpm/mph on hills and after very long usage) and head gasket (under same conditions and also causing a cylinder misfire code p0302 and p0305).
one thing is one plug was old and the second time i got a code it was for a cylinder with a new plug.
from what i can tell i am doing A. a tune up which is plug and wires and maybe a new distributor cap (the one in there is supposedly 50K old) or i am B. doing a full valve cover gasket and valve stem seals etc.
i'm doing a new radiator up here since the price is right and i am pretty sure i have someone to put it in.
so beyond that it would involve leaving it here for head gasket i suppose or ask them how long it would take to do if i tried to stick around.
i guess when i do a compression snd leak down test snd maybe a radiator gas test i can report back with more info.

anyone up for reviewing a parts list for a tune up and one for a valve cover job? i'm planning on ordering parts for both here soon with the idea i'll have some help putting them in and it would be great to get some eyeballs on it?
or maybe also for the radiator job? i couldn't tell if maybe i have some extra hoses listed?
THANKS

IMG_0523.jpeg

IMG_0524.jpeg

IMG_0531.jpeg

IMG_0532.jpeg

He doesn't have LPG. None of us here do.

He's just overthinking it.

Actually introducing new issues by having different range of plugs in different cylinders.

Maybe he should pour a bunch of Seafoam in it too!
i was only answering a question around colder plugs.

my earlier post suggested using the STD recommended plug as it sounds like theres iridiums in there which is overkill
either way, the motor in question has over 200,000miles and the description of oil consumption etc is classic valve stem seals given he mentions power is still there

anyone up for reviewing a parts list for a tune up and one for a valve cover job? i'm planning on ordering parts for both here soon with the idea i'll have some help putting them in and it would be great to get some eyeballs on it?
or maybe also for the radiator job? i couldn't tell if maybe i have some extra hoses listed?
THANKS

View attachment 3410294

View attachment 3410295

View attachment 3410296

View attachment 3410297

You forgot this one: 16124-75030

https://partsouq.com/en/search/all?q=16124-75030

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom