MFD NAV Screen is Black 2002 LX 470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I started my vehicle yesterday, and the nav screen was black.

If I pushed the Climate button, it would bring up the climate control screen and the climate control functions worked. The Audio button also worked and would bring up the audio controls. The Display button worked too and would bring up the display controls (brightness/contrast/screen on-off).

But if you pushed the Map, Dest, or Menu buttons, the display just went black. The other weird thing was that if you pushed the Info button, it just brought up the screen asking you if you want the display to automatically transition back to the map screen or not.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Things I should note:

- I was picking the car up from my independent mechanic last night (after they were already closed and gone) when I noticed this issue, and have not contacted them yet. They performed an oil change and replaced my front sway bar end links

- I'm not getting any error messages like "external source not connected"

- I replaced my battery a little more than two months ago (Oct 2016) with an Optima Yellow Top deep cycle, no other issues since

- I have a USA SPEC PA-15 iPod module installed
DIY iPod Integration Install 2002 Lexus LX 470 w/ Factory Nav

- I have a USA SPEC BT-35 Bluetooth module installed
DIY Bluetooth Integration Install 2002 LX 470 w/ Factory Nav

- I have a Naviks Video Interface module installed (displays backup cam on nav screen), which integrates with the nav ecu under the front passenger seat. When I put the car in reverse, the backup cam video does not display either (which usually overrides the map)
DIY Backup Camera Install 2002 Lexus LX 470 w/ Factory Nav

- I have an aftermarket Alpine amp and a 10" JL W3 subwoofer installed (power is run from the battery, amp is grounded underneath the rear seats, tapping into the signal from the factory sub in the driver side rear quarter panel), definitely not pushing more than 200 watts. I still need to post the DIY I have for this.

Update:

- Still no Map/GPS functionality (the Map, Dest, and Menu buttons don't even beep when pressed)

- I tested the radio functionality, something I didn't do before, to listen and make sure the radio/cd functions work, and they do

- I heard back from my mechanic and they said the only thing someone might have done was reset the oil light indicator or oil change interval in the Trip Info setting, but that's it. And obviously for me to bring it back to them as soon as possible to examine the issue

I'm wondering if either the nav ecu died, or if my wiring for the Naviks unit to tie in with the nav ecu underneath front passenger seat went bad some how and something isn't connected as well as it should be.

Thoughts?

Someone turn your screen off I always have my off so it's always black if you go to The display button push it and then go to her and says turn screen on and off and turn it on should work

Hey @SWUtah, thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately, when I press the Display button (which will only bring up the display adjustments on top of the Info, Audio, and Climate Control screens since the Map, Dest, and Menu buttons don't work) there’s only a "Day Mode" button and "Screen Off" button, in addition to the Contrast and Brightness settings. Pushing the Screen Off button turns the screen off as expected, but it’s not like it’s a button that I can toggle on or off. It will only turn my screen off.

I’ve also tried to get the screen to go into service mode by putting the key in the ignition switch to ACC, holding the Info button, and turning on and off the headlights 3 times, but with no luck of bringing up the service screen.

Next, I’m thinking about checking Fuse 41 in font driver-side kick panel, in case it’s just a blown fuse I can replace.

Take it to Lexus. I only let them touch my rig. I had Toyota do A wheel bearing repack. they screw that up and I had another Toyota dealership do my power steering flush and they put some kind of cleaner in it and screwed my steering rack up so I only take mind to Lexus and everything they do is guaranteed never had a problem with Lexus

So I dropped my vehicle back off at my mechanic's shop, but they said they we'rent able to figure out what was going on and said that he was 99% sure only a Lexus dealership could diagnose this since the nav buttons aren't beeping or displaying anything. At least he said they'd reimburse me if the Lexus dealer determined the issue was caused by the mechanic.

So I'll be dropping the vehicle off at the Lexus dealership asap and let you know what happens.

So I dropped my vehicle back off at my mechanic's shop, but they said they we'rent able to figure out what was going on and said that he was 99% sure only a Lexus dealership could diagnose this since the nav buttons aren't beeping or displaying anything. At least he said they'd reimburse me if the Lexus dealer determined the issue was caused by the mechanic.

So I'll be dropping the vehicle off at the Lexus dealership asap and let you know what happens.

Did you ever figure out what happened to your NAV Screen functionality?

I have the same problem with my Navi in J10. Have you figured out what was the problem?

Update (sorry this was almost a year later):

So I dropped the vehicle off at my local Lexus dealer the day after my last post. When I went to pick the vehicle up, the service manager said they couldn't figure out why it wasn't working and that they recommended replacing the MFD unit (a solid $2500). So, I told them I'd think about it and took the car home.

Assuming the navigation part of my MFD was still dead, I didn't use it. The next day, while out running errands, I was parked and decided to just try turning on the navigation (or rather switching to the navigation) for the hell of it. It worked.

So, I really don't have a firm answer or diagnosis as to what was wrong with it. My guess (pure speculation), is that the nav unit was frozen, and during inspection, the Lexus technician either unplugged the nav unit and then plugged it back in, or ejected the nav disc and re-inserted it. If that was in fact the case, this means that either 1) they did absolutely nothing, 2) after their testing/trial-and-error they were too lazy to confirm whether or not the nav actually worked, or 3) they knew it worked after their testing/trial-and-error worked, but wanted to replace it anyway to charge me up the wazoo.

Long story, short... after I picked up my vehicle from the Lexus dealer, the navigation, along with the rest of the MFD worked. No idea why the navigation was unresponsive for those 4 or 5 days.

Reviving an old thread sorry this is the only similar case I could find. This is happening to me about once a month now. I’ll start the car and the screen will be black. I try to select DVD (for my Grom) and it says no DVD magazine found. I try to select nav that as well as the backup camera are also black.

If I select info or climate those screens do work. Finally if I disconnect the battery for a minute and reconnect the unit reboots and it works fine.

Does anyone have any idea what’s going on here? This was happening on an old battery I just replaced it though and still the same thing. Just a bit strange to me.

What version navigation DVD are you using?
I ordered an updated DVD off Ebay and it operated ... well kinda squirrelly or intermittently.
Had to go back to using the original DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom