Builds Megadoomer Build (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A few setbacks. The tank sits too high and the 3 tubes on the top of the pump hits the floor/tank access. I will need to drop the front about a 1/2 inch and notch the access hatch a little for room. Im thinking of sandwiching some thick rubber for the drop.

Otherwise I got the wires spliced and the fuel lines were ready to go. and I thought I was filling a jerry can tomorrow to check for leaks and possibly starting it up. whutevs.

Wait a minute, I thought I was the only one to do that! Mine's bolted to the from from side brackets, I just added 1 inch blocks.

Im just glad it is the front part and not the back. I can't really afford to put the back part lower because it will intrude below the frame. I already have been second guessing the drain plug in the back. With it on the chamfer it sticks out in to ass dragging territory. I will need a robust skid plate for sure. At least now all gas will go down hill towards the pump.
20161122_182313.jpg
it doesn't look bad here but when the plug is in it definitely needs protection.

A coworker friend suggested exhaust hanger for my spacer. Cheep and worked perfect. Plus those things can last a long time with their normal job.
20161201_160001.jpg

I had a short setback with the length of my bolts and ran to Autozone for some longer M6s. I snuggled them all down and plugged all the wires and hoses. I just have a long hose that goes to the evaporator as the breather tube in the middle. I don't know how well its going to work or even be an issue. I'm used to the gas and exhaust smell so I probably won't notice either way.
20161201_173942.jpg

I ran out of time tonight, plus I wanted to sleep on it before I threw petrol in it. Just make sure I have addressed all the parts to this endeavor. Can't believe I'm at the testing stage after parking the beast for 1 year. Jerry can is in my DD and we try this bastage out tomorrow.

Question...do you have any other vents in the tank? My aftermarket tank has those four vent tubes, similar to the stock tank, so just capped that middle vent on the pump. I'm not sure if that is right either.

Im interested in how lil John did it. I figured the stock Camaro has just that breather tube for what have seen. I was thinking with the return line and the overflow lines it would have a balanced atmosphere. But I'm just a dumb ol' left-handed surveyor, so what would I know?

For the third nipple on the Camaro pump, I have it running straight into the engine bay and doing nothing :rolleyes: In stock Camaro, this would actually go to a charcoal canister which would also have a nipple going to engine vacuum.
Ya I don't need no stinkin' smog!

So I put 5 gallons of 91 in the tank. Had another fuel can with a funnel at the ready incase the drain plug didn't work or the filler neck wasn't right. no issues but I won't know if the over flow fittings are sealed until I get 3/4 tank of gas.

I just ran the pump a bit and crawled under the truck and checked all the connections and everything was dry. I notice when I turned the ignition on a while later I can see gas seeping out of the carb. I was flooded pretty good. I had 2 fire extinguishers at the ready and cranked on it a bit. Poor thing sounded like i asked it to run a marathon.

I came back a bit later and cranked on it and holy $@#% it started! I started it a few more times trying to set the regulator. Then I heard dripping. The filter was dumping fuel out so much I couldn't even see where it was coming from. Honestly I think it's the thread fittings. they didn't impress me when I put it together. So, tomorrow I'm going to an old fashioned nipple style and try again.

Small victory today.

Regulator it at about 4 psi. I got the different filter in and started it up. No leaks and runs well enough to put on the street to park it. I don't have much gas left in it and the gauge I have doesn't match the ohm rating. I want to stick close to home for a bit. I haven't had to use AAA towing since they took the beast home a year ago, and I really don't want the trend to end
20161203_114257.jpg

I think Santa has some fun upgrades for me. stay tuned.

Welp, it got me to work and back without incident. I feel like it may have been a true success. Next project is to upgrade the lighting.

20161229_183640.jpg
OK feel free to kick me in the mouth if this is a terrible idea. I have some 4 inch LEDs to put on still. The head lights have a day time light or it can be used as the blinker. So I photoshopped the 4 inch over the real blinker as an extra light while using the head light blinkers. What do you think?

Now my idea I had before I got these lights is partially hair brained as well. I wanted to make my own LED tail lights and front blinker. I was going to get some boards and wire my own design and fasten it inside the current housing. Then 3d print or mould a smoke Carbonite as the lens and paint all the inside black. The idea is to have no colored plastic and when it's day, the lights would be all black. Then the red led inside would light up. I was going to do the same for the front blinker with amber LEDS and side markers.

I guess the theme I'm going for is all black?

Might be too bright for a turn signal?

Nah, I was just going to use it as a driving light and use the turn signal in the head light.

I'll set the signal up so you can see what I mean.

I always thought pigs have turn signals in the wrong spot, they should be down on the slanted part of the fender like an FJ40. A set of the round early 40 lights would be cool looking

I prefer the OEM blinker.

I'm going to hold off on blinker changes for now. I just got off the phone with a friend that has a complete Fast EZ-EFI unit for me. I just have to drive up to Redding to get it. This is going to be sweet, and makes me feel better about the altitude of the Pig Fest.

Small update.
I have not got the EFI yet. Had some family crap happen for the last 2 months. I have just been driving around trying gain confidence in the long trip to CO.

I have concerns that the baffling isn't going to be as good as i hoped when I am lower on fuel. The fab guy put a journal in the sump area that pretty much defeats the purpose while climbing up. My drain plug is in the back and i was thinking of putting a small rail pump in the back and having it plumb to the front and back into the sump. Thoughts?

Also, last Friday my throttle cable snapped on the way home. After some head scratching I yanked out a piece of speaker wire and tied it to the linkage and pulled it through the firewall. Got to pull on the cable for about 3 miles. A little inconvenient but no tow needed.

I still have a long list of fixes and updates to do. I think april will be a free month to get some stuff done...I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom