LX470 2004 | Need help with Android Screen (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got an interesting problem and wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and if they figured out a solution.

My android headunit (teyes cc3) works fine and all the controls, but the reverse camera only intermittently works. Usually when I head out for the morning, the camera will be on and work fine. But then about 10-15 mins in my commute, the camera shuts down and won't work, even in reverse. I've noticed a pattern that it usually works when I first turn on the vehicle in the morning. I thought it may be when it reboots it works, but I can't seem to recreate the error consistently with rebooting. Any ideas? Thanks for any help! 🤙

Got an interesting problem and wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and if they figured out a solution.

My android headunit (teyes cc3) works fine and all the controls, but the reverse camera only intermittently works. Usually when I head out for the morning, the camera will be on and work fine. But then about 10-15 mins in my commute, the camera shuts down and won't work, even in reverse. I've noticed a pattern that it usually works when I first turn on the vehicle in the morning. I thought it may be when it reboots it works, but I can't seem to recreate the error consistently with rebooting. Any ideas? Thanks for any help! 🤙

did you reuse the factory camera or install aftermarket camera?

when you reverse did you see the black screen from camera or didn't enter the camera mode at all?

did you reuse the factory camera or install aftermarket camera?

when you reverse did you see the black screen from camera or didn't enter the camera mode at all?
Thanks for the reply! I used the Sony camera that came with the Teyes CC3 as well as their supplied cable.

It will sometimes trigger the full screen view with the backing guides, and then sometimes it won't even trigger at all. I was thinking bad/loose connection, but there is a pattern of it working in the mornings and then failing after a quick drive.

I heard of a ground causing some flickers, but I don't think a ground when cause intermittent connection?

Interference from the cable sheathing? I'm kinda at a loss since it's hard to replicate consistently. Lol

Thanks for the reply! I used the Sony camera that came with the Teyes CC3 as well as their supplied cable.

It will sometimes trigger the full screen view with the backing guides, and then sometimes it won't even trigger at all. I was thinking bad/loose connection, but there is a pattern of it working in the mornings and then failing after a quick drive.

I heard of a ground causing some flickers, but I don't think a ground when cause intermittent connection?

Interference from the cable sheathing? I'm kinda at a loss since it's hard to replicate consistently. Lol
I saw you are in florida, is it hot recently? a lot of aftermarket cheapo camera is not rate for automobile use, they cannot withstand high temperature.

I saw you are in florida, is it hot recently? a lot of aftermarket cheapo camera is not rate for automobile use, they cannot withstand high temperature.
Funny you say that, when it first started happening I thought the same thing. Cooler in the morning and hot in the day. But after tracking it for awhile, no temperature pattern emerged. But I can keep tracking it to rule that out for sure. Like look at the exact temp and see if there is a range in which it fails. Would any software settings cause this? And loose wires wouldn't be as "predictable", right? I use predictable loosely. Lol

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Teyes website for a 2005 LX470 with factory NAV.

Does anyone know which harness I need for the backup camera? I see three options.

1710718055585.png

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Teyes website for a 2005 LX470 with factory NAV.

Does anyone know which harness I need for the backup camera? I see three options.

View attachment 3584525

I got the camera + 6.8m harness, but I would recommend going with the camera + 10m harness though. I had to end up ordering the longer one (10m), as the 6.8m wasnt able to reach the head unit after the cable routing.

I’ve bought my daughter a 07 LX 470 and put the Groom VLine system in and seems to work fine and CS is EXCELLENT! That being said a 16 yr old girl would like a better screen. Would you mind elaborating on what unit you have?
I’m also looking at a 03 LX that has a T’eyes in it and the owner says it works fine. I’m assuming this thread was mainly about the 06/07 LX’s wiring systems and their complexity?
Thanks much

I’ve bought my daughter a 07 LX 470 and put the Groom VLine system in and seems to work fine and CS is EXCELLENT! That being said a 16 yr old girl would like a better screen. Would you mind elaborating on what unit you have?
I’m also looking at a 03 LX that has a T’eyes in it and the owner says it works fine. I’m assuming this thread was mainly about the 06/07 LX’s wiring systems and their complexity?
Thanks much
Can you adopt me and buy me an 07 too?
That is a pretty sweet ride for a 1st car. That being said, my 1st car was an 84 Grand Wagoneer.

Ha! I might like you but these two daughters are gonna kill me (in a good way) and yes it is, PO bought it in 2011 and always dealer maintained. Sofia (my daughter) clearly understands what she has, Im a lucky dad

Ha! I might like you but these two daughters are gonna kill me (in a good way) and yes it is, PO bought it in 2011 and always dealer maintained. Sofia (my daughter) clearly understands what she has, Im a lucky dad
Being a girl dad is awesome.

The back of my unit had holes for both of the factory antenna wires. Left side (close to the steering wheel), towards the bottom. No idea if they work as I haven't used the radio since I got the LX, all sound through CarPlay.

For routing the wire:
For backup cam wiring, using their camera—the wire for mine routes behind the glovebox, then drops underneath through the floor grommet on the RHS and is zip-tied to the rear AC lines. I have additional wires running through that location, so it made sense for mine. I also have rear drawers installed and would almost rather have a root canal than take those out, so an interior run was out of the question.

Before you assume that will work for you: tape or tie the wire down loosely, and check for length. My camera is mounted on a dual-swingout bumper, very far to the right side. I have a little bit of length to spare, but not enough to mount the camera in the stock license plate location.

View attachment 3030295
It covers the TA in UTAH. Far from optimal location, but it's the best I could do.

Electrical connections:
I found a few references in other forums that you might could skip the yellow wire, since the "active" state should just read off the CANBUS anyway. I chose to just wire it as the diagram specified. There are a few inputs on the back of the head unit—you want the one labeled "CAMERA". IDK why, but others online reference the other input (four letters, something like CRMT?) as providing crap quality if you use it.

Teyes diagram: TEYES CC3 - https://cc3.teyes.ru/en/map.html

On the head unit side, you have to tap into G3 and G5. On my harness, that's the red and brown on the power connector.
View attachment 3030298
Ignore the third tap in the middle, that's me fixing a screwup with what I had on hand.

At the rear (I don't have pictures of that, sorry), I ran two wires from the factory reverse light. One power, one ground—you just have to get enough length to match up with your camera location. If you plan to mount near the factory location, then you won't need additional wiring.

Power goes to the yellow wire attached to the RCA video cable supplied. Ground goes to the black on the power wires supplied. And for whatever reason, the reds get connected together.

So far (one whole day lol), it's working well. Apologies for taking so long to get it done and get back to you, just a way busier week than I'd hoped for.
When you say "tapped in" to the wires, does that mean you spliced existing wires?

I used saucebox's post 148 to install mine with no issues. I first made sure i could get the camera live working. Then just had to connect the reverse wire to my reverse lights so it clicks on automatically when put in reverse. I dont believe the canbus reverse works had to wire it manually.
Awesome! I'm assuming you didn't have to splice any wires?

Not sure if I can contribute anything new, but I've been looking over these screens and reading this thread and finally landed on the Teyes cc3 for my 2004 LX. Got it installed and everything seems to work fine and don't have a hiss (but audio seems very weak and static'y) unless I turn up the volume with the physical volume knob. The steering wheel controls the volume and adjusts the volume bar on the unit with no hiss and the physical volume knob just adjusts the volume but adds hiss at a certain level and gets worse as I increase the "volume". Not sure if this is the same hiss/static everyone is experiencing.

Also, I'd be happy to help with any troubleshooting for anyone else. 🤙

Note: if this has been covered in previous pages, sorry. I read through it all but I may have forgot some things since I installed the unit here recently. Lol
I have this issue without installing the CC3 and using just a cheap amazon bluetooth unit in my cigarette lighter stocket. Let's see if it goes away when I get the CC3.

Awesome! I'm assuming you didn't have to splice any wires?
I dont remember so check the post i referenced and copy that. I remember it was straight forward.

FYI regarding firmware updates - I recently installed the Dec 2023 firmware for the CC3 and I was surprised to see that nothing really changed. However, I finally took the time to perform a factory reset and after that I am seeing improvements. Particularly, I am no longer having issues with the Apple CarPlay connection. It's a bit of a pain because you have to re-download apps, but it was worth it for me.

Im having a hard time removing the screws from the metal housing that connects to the MFD. this is part of the install because the new screen is much bigger so they send a plastic molding that will replace the factory molding. I’ve seen videos where they take these screws off easily. I tried but stripped it. Then stripped it even more with an extractor bolt which also didn’t work.

The screws are the black +. This is on the side of the MFD housing

Any ideas?
3A662A1C-A6D1-4BBB-9FAD-9E7508DE2231.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom