LX470 2004 | Need help with Android Screen (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey @xswl — managed to find a pic of where I tapped on the headunit side. Yellow to brown, red to red.

The wires are sort of thin/delicate. Pull too hard and you'll end up with a third vampire tap like me. Dumb mistake...

IMG_0844 2.jpeg

Thanks @saucebox, this helped me make some progress but it's not working correctly. I can see the camera video now, but it doesn't come on automatically when I shift into reverse and also doesn't show the parking lines so I don't think the system is configured correctly. I went through some of the factory settings flipping a few of them to see if they did anything but doesn't seem to work. If someone has it working where reverse automatically shows it on screen and shows the parking lights, can you indicate what settings you used? Thanks!

Thanks @saucebox, this helped me make some progress but it's not working correctly. I can see the camera video now, but it doesn't come on automatically when I shift into reverse and also doesn't show the parking lines so I don't think the system is configured correctly. I went through some of the factory settings flipping a few of them to see if they did anything but doesn't seem to work. If someone has it working where reverse automatically shows it on screen and shows the parking lights, can you indicate what settings you used? Thanks!

The truck is down for service at the moment with an unknown ETA to fix. I don't know how fast I can get to the settings screens.

I do remember one thing, maybe it'll help. Once the camera/reverse screen is up, you can long press (basically just tap and hold) the screen to bring up the different options for parking lines, contrast, etc. Maybe it's as easy as an on/off switch in there somewhere.

I think (without evidence) that the auto-screen switching is in some part controlled by detecting a signal off the canbus. Maybe a quick canbus reset will help?

It's super tough to track down issues, because most of us are tinkerers. I know in setting up mine I went through several resets, but not in any particular order. More of an "IDK, try this" over and over with different settings. Troubleshooting is a little tougher, because we're never starting at the same place. Sounds like you're super close though.

Maybe: If you've got the canbus settings right, try unplugging power to the unit after a software restart (to do that, swipe down from the top edge and select the restart option). Let it restart, then turn the truck/ignition off. Unplug the G connector (it's tight and this part sucks) for a few minutes and then back in. I had to do this once to get the HVAC settings to "take"—all the right boxes had already been checked, canbus already reset, etc., but it didn't work until that hard reset.

But your assumption is correct—as quick as you shift into reverse, you should see the camera full screen, with the lines overlay. Mine does work that way. When I have drive axles, anyway 🙄

I used saucebox's post 148 to install mine with no issues. I first made sure i could get the camera live working. Then just had to connect the reverse wire to my reverse lights so it clicks on automatically when put in reverse. I dont believe the canbus reverse works had to wire it manually.

Does anyone have a Car Info app working on their unit?

So I did a search online outside of this forum and I think I know what the problem is with the reverse camera. So it seems canbus doesn't do anything to indicate the car is in reverse, you need to tap into the reverse light near the camera and the yellow wire that connects to G5 (the brown wire at the unit) is to tell the unit that the car has shifted to reverse. So I'll need to redo some wiring.

Ok, great news! Got the reverse camera working automatically when shifting into reverse. As noted, you MUST connect the longer yellow wire in the camera cable to the reverse lights' 12V. In the lower split tail gate, there's a harness that runs from the body to the gate that has a bunch of wires in it. I just tapped into the black/red one. Then the unit side you want the shorter yellow wire tapped into the brown wire of the main connector into the head unit (G5 in the diagram). Now I can have the rear camera on whenever I want (by choosing the `reverse` option in the main screen) or automatically full screen reverse camera when I shift into reverse gear. Works quite nicely and wife agrees that the visual quality is significantly improved over the OEM one. I bought a second Teyes camera for the front which I'll tackle some other time :)

Thanks everyone for the help they provided here!

Ok, great news! Got the reverse camera working automatically when shifting into reverse. As noted, you MUST connect the longer yellow wire in the camera cable to the reverse lights' 12V. In the lower split tail gate, there's a harness that runs from the body to the gate that has a bunch of wires in it. I just tapped into the black/red one. Then the unit side you want the shorter yellow wire tapped into the brown wire of the main connector into the head unit (G5 in the diagram). Now I can have the rear camera on whenever I want (by choosing the `reverse` option in the main screen) or automatically full screen reverse camera when I shift into reverse gear. Works quite nicely and wife agrees that the visual quality is significantly improved over the OEM one. I bought a second Teyes camera for the front which I'll tackle some other time :)

Install the second one now, later you wont want to take it all apart! Ask me how i know lol

Taking it apart should be an easy task now.
I feel like the plastic frame will break/clips when trying to pull out the clips now. Its not OEM fitment its Chinese fitment with OEM clips.

Taking it apart should be an easy task now.

I've done it so many times trying to get things working I'm pretty good at it now :p

Awesome dude, and that's good to know on the canbus. I'll be the one asking you questions if you get the front one done 🤣. I'm also not looking forward to taking it apart again.

I’m back to between this and the GROM. Grom has a group buy for $550 until July 15.

My LX is an 06 with April 2006 production date. Still seems hit or miss but damn it’d be nice to have this. The latest info of rebooting and resetting and selecting climate controls and the decreased audio hissing makes me want to pull the trigger. I don’t care about rear view camera but I do want steering wheel and knob controls to work and of course HVAC controls to work also.

I’m back to between this and the GROM. Grom has a group buy for $550 until July 15.

My LX is an 06 with April 2006 production date. Still seems hit or miss but damn it’d be nice to have this. The latest info of rebooting and resetting and selecting climate controls and the decreased audio hissing makes me want to pull the trigger. I don’t care about rear view camera but I do want steering wheel and knob controls to work and of course HVAC controls to work also.

I have an 04 LC and have some minor issues, but exactly the same issues as a guy with an 06. I don't think the year matters as much as the thread initially believed.

My steering wheel controls and HVAC work great. No knobs though. Minor hissing. Still working to sort those out, but not enough for me to return to stock or go with Grom.

I had a GROM v1. It was certainly easier to install, but my main problem with it was being stuck with the OEM screen which was tiny, low-res, not responsive to touch, not very bright, etc...

Other than some challenges installing, I'm much happier with the Teyes than I was with the GROM (so far). The bigger screen is such a game changer. Feels almost like a new car.

Given that our trucks are basically the same when they're optioned out the same and they're all built in the same plant, my bet is any issues are due to the supplied harness adapters or canbus readers. I'm sure the level of quality control on those is pretty low.

Question on shipping, is the 9 days shipping time from the date you place the order or from the date that they ship it out?

Just got everything buttoned up and ac/radio/controls work. Without this thread it would have sucked, so thank you to everyone that contributed. One thing, has anyone gotten rid of the activation failure messages?

37DD5755-25E5-481C-95AD-7B582C18FA69.jpeg

Just got everything buttoned up and ac/radio/controls work. Without this thread it would have sucked, so thank you to everyone that contributed. One thing, has anyone gotten rid of the activation failure messages?

Congrats on the successful install? Not sure about the failure message. Have you connected the unit itself to the Internet via WiFi, tethering, or a SIM card? Maybe connected to your Google account?

What year is your LX? Any unused harness connectors? Did everything work the first time, or did you have to update canbus, reboot, etc? You've confirmed volume knob and tuning knob, steering controls, AC controls, and antenna all work?

Also curious, what did the back of your MFD and radio look like? This one or the other?
LC Headunit.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom