LX Puddle/Courtesy Lights LED strip upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great thread, bumping to try and find some dimable wide angle led lights or LED strips for the LX. Anyone have good results with a particular brand or model?

I haven't found dimmable wide angle LED lights, but I have switched to using a 6 inch 48 w light and have been happy so far. I put two lights on one side (under the driver door and passenger door) and three on the other side (added one under the rear bumper area). I took off my AHC stuff from the frame, so I was able to screw the light directly in to the frame. Alternatively, @Ramathorn15 makes some nice brackets.

n7ItsG8.png

I haven't found dimmable wide angle LED lights, but I have switched to using a 6 inch 48 w light and have been happy so far. I put two lights on one side (under the driver door and passenger door) and three on the other side (added one under the rear bumper area). I took off my AHC stuff from the frame, so I was able to screw the light directly in to the frame. Alternatively, @Ramathorn15 makes some nice brackets.

n7ItsG8.png

Sorry, if I misunderstood, are you running 5 of these lamps? Also are they running off the original circuit for the factory puddle light? Any issues with handling the extra wattage, or did you modify the wiring at all? The factory bulbs only used about 10w per side... (5watt peanut bulbs x2... per side)

Id like to keep wiring simple if possible...
Thanks~

Sorry, if I misunderstood, are you running 5 of these lamps? Also are they running off the original circuit for the factory puddle light? Any issues with handling the extra wattage, or did you modify the wiring at all? The factory bulbs only used about 10w per side... (5watt peanut bulbs x2... per side)

Id like to keep wiring simple if possible...
Thanks~

I am running a total of five - two lights running off one side and three lights on the other side (with the third light run to the rear bumper). I have not modified the factory puddle light wiring and haven't noticed any issues or burning smells with the extra wattage. I am a little surprised that there hasn't been a problem. I should probably use a smaller light like these at 9w each and put two in the back and two in the front.

nnIXagX.png

I use this one, very bright and has been solid for awhile, ive crawled through mud and snow and it still works. Tap right into the oem wiring, nothing caught fire. Look for it on Amazon, $22

714ZSZG4vRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I use this one, very bright and has been solid for awhile, ive crawled through mud and snow and it still works. Tap right into the oem wiring, nothing caught fire. Look for it on Amazon, $22

714ZSZG4vRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Did you get the Toyota connector and just plug and play?

How did you wire it? I'm looking to do this and I purchased the correct connectors that plug into OEM harness for LX puddle lights

Did you get the Toyota connector and just plug and play?

How did you wire it? I'm looking to do this and I purchased the correct connectors that plug into OEM harness for LX puddle lights

There's two wires going out from the LED trip, just connect that to the connector and plug into the harness from the truck. Simple, i cut off the connector from the OEM running board and then splice the wires into it and plugged it into the harness.

There's two wires going out from the LED trip, just connect that to the connector and plug into the harness from the truck. Simple, i cut off the connector from the OEM running board and then splice the wires into it and plugged it into the harness.

Perfect that was exactly my plan. Thanks for the assurance.

Adding this to my ever growing list of mods, this one will get done quicker since it's a low $ mod :) thank you for this post!

I have a 2001 LX470 and have replaced the bulbs with LEDs but light is still barely visible both underneath the running boards and on top of the running boards. I would assume one of the LED strip upgrades would help greatly with the underside lighting but is there anyway to fix the lights that run along the top of the running boards? Can the light pipe be replaced or cleaned?

Bumping this as I just finished doing my LED strip today.

Question though, if I wanted to add a switch so I could manually turn on the lights and still be able to keep the unlock/on feature. Would I just splice in a hot and ground switch to the strip? Curious if it's that straightforward

Question though, if I wanted to add a switch so I could manually turn on the lights and still be able to keep the unlock/on feature. Would I just splice in a hot and ground switch to the strip? Curious if it's that straightforward
There is a way to do this, and one of the guys on here laid out instructions for it. Let me look around and see if I can find them. There are wires in the driver's kick panel that can be tapped into to add a switch. I'm trying to recall, but maybe @Ramathorn15 sent me the wiring info? I got the connectors from him, but can't recall who gave me the wiring info.

Last edited:
There is a way to do this, and one of the guys on here laid out instructions for it. Let me look around and see if I can find them. There are wires in the driver's kick panel that can be tapped into to add a switch. I'm trying to recall, but maybe @Ramathorn15 sent me the wiring info? I got the connectors from him, but can't recall who gave me the wiring info.
Any luck finding the guidance on the DIY manual switch?

Can you upload a pic of how you mounted the LED strips?

Can you upload a pic of how you mounted the LED strips?
Here's a Video of it. I used the adhesive that's on the back of the LED strip after cleaning off the mounting area thoroughly. I ended up putting a dab of silicone on the end just to secure it

Here's a Video of it. I used the adhesive that's on the back of the LED strip after cleaning off the mounting area thoroughly. I ended up putting a dab of silicone on the end just to secure it

Thank you!

Good luck. It's super simple especially if you're using the factory running board circuits

Yup plug in play to the factory harness. Works great and looks great ill post pic tonight. Thank you!

The LED strips give it a more modern vibe and the fade in and out is awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom