Builds Lumpskie's Diesel 80 build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Narrowed the radius arms a bit to clear the brackets better:

Before:
LwO13MLh.jpg

After:
K4Om0dUh.jpg

Hopefully, I get more flex and I don't break anything. But, if @GW Nugget and @Tools R Us did this with good success!

Interesting. Is that the only part you ground? I'm guessing you did both faces?

You'll have to re-do your poser shots and see if it made a difference

Yeah, that was an in process pic. Both bushings on both arms got the treatment. I'll see if it makes a difference and post up the results!

So, I climbed the same rock and looked at my radius arms with the grind on them. It looks like there's no true binding at this point. But, it looks like there is movement of the axle laterally as it gets pulled by the panhard. I can see why Superior Engineering makes their arms narrow. (noted for when I decide to build my own) For now, I'm happy. Also, took my rig to get an alignment. Shop told me that the tie rod between the pitman arm and drag link was bad so they couldn't do it. (ordered from Rock Auto) But they did get me "before" numbers. With the Landtank plates on there, my castor is now 2.3 on the left and 2.7 on the right... both within spec. Driving wise, I got up to 65 indicated, 71 actual mph. No vibes and it drives great. I like these plates.

Pics:
YGH1NWah.jpg

Q9zG5OMh.jpg

I drove the 80 to work today for the first time in a long time. I got up to speeds of around 75mph indicated (83ish actual). I have no vibrations and my rig drives great. But I am getting a metallic sound when at highway speed. It is coming from the floor around my gear shifter area but I can't tell exactly where. On acceleration the sound seems better but on cruise throttle or decel I get the sound.

The only change is the installation of my castor plates. So... could my driveshaft or u-joints need some grease? What else should I look for?

Apparently, I ordered the wrong tie rod from Rockauto... new one is supposed to arrive today. Hopefully, I can get it on this evening and get my rig aligned. I'm supposed to head up to the cabin tomorrow. Next week is Vermont Overland Rally... then the Exploring NH Toyota run... then Fall Crawl. I need to get this buttoned up!

I haven't gotten a chance to grease the front driveline but I continue to get noise from it. I also continue to get no vibration.

Now that I drive this rig a little more, I am really appreciating these Slinky shocks. There are 3 shortish but abrupt speed bumps on the road to my office. I took the bumps today at 30+ mph. The ride was smooth as glass. These shocks really are cool.

Did you grind just the front, or the backs too.

I ground both mounts at the axle but it turned out as more of a radius cut than narrowing. I might go back and narrow them a but more because the center portion still hits at flex.

Finally got the tie rod replaced and the truck aligned. It drives really well and castor is at 2.2*L and 2.5*R. (Spec is 2-4*, so I am happy)
fJMcHsQh.jpg

I leave for Vermont Overland Rally day after tomorrow, so I am going to grease my driveline and check it over but stop messing with it till after I get back. I just need to get that Delta Panhard lift bracket on and my suspension stuff should be set for a little while. This is good because the weather has abruptly changed and fall is in the air. Not much time left till snow flies...

UK0K81Kh.jpg

I greased the outer ends of the drivelines last night. (u joint and slip yoke in front and u joint in rear) I'll see if that effects my noise in front.

Got the Cruiser up to 65 indicated (72ish actual) today. Noise seems to be gone! This makes me want to grease the rest of the driveline but that will have to wait till after VOR.

I just got back from the Vermont Overland Rally. Man, that was a good time. Here are some pictures that show the general atmosphere of the event.

dhH5f9ih.jpg

biaQCjXh.jpg

RZbRjjRh.jpg

4rMpqmsh.jpg

pymriIAh.jpg

VeWQp6sh.jpg

4CtWURvh.jpg

d4p9PAih.jpg

JKBHBGfh.jpg

rT70oHyh.jpg

nEA1aERh.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread