Lower Control Arms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bushings on my 08 GX470 (178K) are dry and cracking. Looking into options to replace the bushings or the entire lower control arm and just start fresh.

Trying not to break the bank on the replacement. Any suggestions for brands to look at and/or tips for the replacement?

I used Moogs from Rock Auto on mine. 40K and they've been fine. They do require routine greasing and 45-degree grease zerks to be able to put a grease gun on the zerk.

I went with factory. Figured the originals lasted 200k miles I wont have to worry about the new ones failing anytime soon. The cam bolts tend to seize. You'll have to cut them out if that's the case on yours. Might be a good idea to have a spare or two just in case

Freedom off road might be a good alternative. Their UCA are decent.

Bushing change and ball joint change are another alternative is you can do it yourself. Paying a shop would make is cost more than replacing with new control arm. I replace mine with SuperPro offset bushing to move LCA as far forward as possible. Also replace ball joint with 555 ball joint. Mine surprisingly easy to do. Many people got problem replacing and end up bending the arm.

I did the bushings and ball joint at 170000 miles or so in the Pacific Northwest climate and it was a real bear.

One downside over OEM is that you can’t get an OEM ball joint, sankie 555 is probably the best you can go.

Of the four bushings one came out fairly easy with heat and a large bottle jack. Two came out pretty hard. The last one had to be burned out. Then on top two of the liners were pretty seized to the lower arm and had to be cut out with an air hammer.

I would not do it again, even though I have KDSS arms that are fairly expensive.

I can only imagine how hard it is in the rust belt areas.

I have a rusty KDSS truck so I've been dreading this as my bushings are smoked. Replacing just the ball joint (I did with 555s) is easy with a press and an electric impact. The cam bolts seem to freeze and seize up on people, I can't imagine what I'll be going through when I finally cut mine out (Chicago truck all its life).

I would go for some Moogs or similar as they are pretty inexpensive and you can keep and rebuild your factory arms on the side with OEM components if you desire at your own pace.

It's not too terrible to cut out the LCA cam bolts. On my GX I used one 18 tip sawzall blade and ~10-20 minutes of cutting per bushing. You'll want a good sawzall for the job...the first time I did it I used a $25 HF cheapie sawzall and it beat up my hands pretty good from the vibration. I did it again on a friend's tundra using a real M18 sawzall and it was much smoother, but did go through a couple of batteries.

I have a rusty KDSS truck so I've been dreading this as my bushings are smoked. Replacing just the ball joint (I did with 555s) is easy with a press and an electric impact. The cam bolts seem to freeze and seize up on people, I can't imagine what I'll be going through when I finally cut mine out (Chicago truck all its life).

I would go for some Moogs or similar as they are pretty inexpensive and you can keep and rebuild your factory arms on the side with OEM components if you desire at your own pace.
Sawzall and Diablo blades will make quick work.

I actually had good luck with Bauer 18 tpi blades from HF. I bought some name-brand Milwaukee 18 tpi blades for my M18 Sawzall and they honestly weren't much better.

Honestly, the best way to go about this is replacing your stock bushing and rebuilding your kit! OEM is typically the best route unless you want to get into the aftermarket stuff, which costs a pretty penny!

bump

hypothetical question for non kdss 08 470, single shock

If you were looking at DK LCAs or TC LCAs cause your oem are shot and you plan to size up to a 35s what would you choose and why?

DK said they've had issues with fitment on their LCAs with the tire rubbing on LCA at lock and furthermore their website recommends only a max tire size of 33". Can anyone confirm they are running larger tires without issues with the DK LCAs?

Im aware that there will be fitment issues and some rubbing with this tire size regardless but would one be a better option over the other for larger tires?

Tires are gonna be on wheels with 4.75 backspacing which is within the recommended backspacing for the DK LCAs.

Ive tried searching other forums for a direct comparison and was sort of surprised that there wasn't a lot out there.

Is one the obvious answer?

Thanks for any feedback

bump

hypothetical question for non kdss 08 470, single shock

If you were looking at DK LCAs or TC LCAs cause your oem are shot and you plan to size up to a 35s what would you choose and why?

DK said they've had issues with fitment on their LCAs with the tire rubbing on LCA at lock and furthermore their website recommends only a max tire size of 33". Can anyone confirm they are running larger tires without issues with the DK LCAs?

Im aware that there will be fitment issues and some rubbing with this tire size regardless but would one be a better option over the other for larger tires?

Tires are gonna be on wheels with 4.75 backspacing which is within the recommended backspacing for the DK LCAs.

Ive tried searching other forums for a direct comparison and was sort of surprised that there wasn't a lot out there.

Is one the obvious answer?

Thanks for any feedback
You are very intent on going long travel LCAs? I know DK and TC are long travel.

Long travel LCAs are not required to run 35s as far as I know. You could get standard length LCAs from Toyota/Lexus.

Tinkerers Adventure on YouTube has a video where he compares DK and another brand (not TC) long travel LCAs on 35s on his FJC.

I think this is the video

You are very intent on going long travel LCAs? I know DK and TC are long travel.

Long travel LCAs are not required to run 35s as far as I know. You could get standard length LCAs from Toyota/Lexus.

Tinkerers Adventure on YouTube has a video where he compares DK and another brand (not TC) long travel LCAs on 35s on his FJC.

Oh here’s the long travel video

Tc makes stock sized lowers as well.

Thank you for the video, good info.

Im not going to be running LT. TC and DK both make stock length LCAs. I ended up ordering TC. Was very tempted to go with DK but did not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom