LOCKED KEYS - Open your FJ60 in 30 minutes using 12mm wrench and a flathead screwdriver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello FJ60 owners,
Two days ago I decided to drive to our local Tractor Supply to pick up some corn and birdseed.
I took my brothers 60 because it sat for more than a week.
Parking lot was almost full but I found a nice spot in a corner.
Grabbed my wallet, cell phone and mask.
Locked the door grabbed the handle and closed it.
At that point I realized the keys are still in the ignition - idiot.
I panicked for one minute or 2, but I had a cell phone on me no big deal.
Looked up 3 towing companies in the area, called first 2 no answer.
3rd actually picked up took my info and forwarded to the driver.
5 min later I got call back from the dispatch, driver said I'm too far for him to drive out there - Who wants to work on a Sunday afternoon, football is on.
Next I Started googling how to open FJ60, few posts came up but they just talked about hangers and other Toyota keys.

At that point I realized, hammer is my only option - Maybe they have them on sale at the Tractor Supply.
I decided to pick up a flathead screwdriver and sacrifice the back lock, no sales on screwdrivers $5.99 plus tax.

When I was standing there deciding how not to cause too much damage to the paint and metal I realized there is a big gap between bottom and top tailgate.
I got my cell phone out turned on the flashlight and I could see that little plastic knob on the right.
Using my brand new screwdriver I was able to push it up and the bottom tailgate was unlocked.
Next was the handle, even easier. Pulled on the bottom section and it opened slightly.
All I needed to do is take out the 6 12millimiter bolts holding the tailgate to the body.

2nd trip to Tractor Supply.
I picked up a nice set of wrenches, they were on sale actually.
Got back to the truck and started unbolting.
That's the longest step in the whole process especially if you have 3 coats of paint on the bolts.

Moment of truth.
I pulled up on the tailgate and had enough room to reach inside and unlock the both sections.
Put everything back together.
I was so happy, total cost of the tools less than $30.

I decided to share my experience with the LC community to save some locks and glass - hard to get these days
Thanks,
Tom

Pictures below:

20211212_130731.jpg

20211214_111509.jpg

20211214_111608.jpg

20211214_111630.jpg

20211212_130225.jpg

20211212_130359.jpg

NOW you’ve opened a can of worms. I can see figuring lower side latches with single middle bottom latch.
Then making a single lift gate for the rear. It’s not like they don’t make strong enough gas shocks.
Hmmmm…
The other option for daily shopping is never lock the rear, I have a tire swing out so leaving it unlocked
makes it quite an effort for someone to gain access in the middle of a mall. I’ve had to use this entry
at least a dozen times since I got mine.
BTW, always have a dark tarp covering your stuff in the rear. Never leave things that can be seen.

Hello FJ60 owners,
Two days ago I decided to drive to our local Tractor Supply to pick up some corn and birdseed.
I took my brothers 60 because it sat for more than a week.
Parking lot was almost full but I found a nice spot in a corner.
Grabbed my wallet, cell phone and mask.
Locked the door grabbed the handle and closed it.
At that point I realized the keys are still in the ignition - idiot.
I panicked for one minute or 2, but I had a cell phone on me no big deal.
Looked up 3 towing companies in the area, called first 2 no answer.
3rd actually picked up took my info and forwarded to the driver.
5 min later I got call back from the dispatch, driver said I'm too far for him to drive out there - Who wants to work on a Sunday afternoon, football is on.
Next I Started googling how to open FJ60, few posts came up but they just talked about hangers and other Toyota keys.

At that point I realized, hammer is my only option - Maybe they have them on sale at the Tractor Supply.
I decided to pick up a flathead screwdriver and sacrifice the back lock, no sales on screwdrivers $5.99 plus tax.

When I was standing there deciding how not to cause too much damage to the paint and metal I realized there is a big gap between bottom and top tailgate.
I got my cell phone out turned on the flashlight and I could see that little plastic knob on the right.
Using my brand new screwdriver I was able to push it up and the bottom tailgate was unlocked.
Next was the handle, even easier. Pulled on the bottom section and it opened slightly.
All I needed to do is take out the 6 12millimiter bolts holding the tailgate to the body.

2nd trip to Tractor Supply.
I picked up a nice set of wrenches, they were on sale actually.
Got back to the truck and started unbolting.
That's the longest step in the whole process especially if you have 3 coats of paint on the bolts.

Moment of truth.
I pulled up on the tailgate and had enough room to reach inside and unlock the both sections.
Put everything back together.
I was so happy, total cost of the tools less than $30.

I decided to share my experience with the LC community to save some locks and glass - hard to get these days
Thanks,
Tom

Pictures below:

View attachment 2865021

View attachment 2865029

View attachment 2865030

View attachment 2865032

View attachment 2865031

View attachment 2865034
Polish ingenuity at its' best!!!!!

Honestly, those door locks are so worn out by now a TR33 blank might have opened the driver's side.

But nice save, anyway!

Here’s my solution, have been carrying around my Dog Tags for 50 years. Just added Toyota keys to the mix & can’t even feel the xtra weight.

E2278D8C-1F4A-447C-95C7-1EA4E5BE756B.jpeg

Irish ingenuity.👍

Irish ingenuity.👍
Yes. Gotta function while hammered 24/7… I kid. But not really. My ex was from Cork Ireland and had a really bad habit of losing things when she drank. And she DRANK like it was going out of style!

Makes me feel better about having to smash in my passenger window with a rock in the middle of the Oregon desert knowing it took this much effort even with access to a hardware store. Luckily that was back when you could get used OEM glass for $20!

That’s clever.
I became so concerned about locking my keys in the car accidentally on long trips (did it a few times in my life) that I always carried a 2nd key in my pants pocket.

I locked mine in with them in the ignition and had a locksmith come pop the truck open. Since then the same thing has happened a few times, but I've always got a spare in my wallet. Barely adds any thickness and its one of those things I always have on my person - phone, wallet, keys.

You don't ever have to worry about getting your keys stuck if the rear lift gate doesn't lock ;)
We usually keep the back unlocked but I had to travel for few days and I made sure everything is locked up.
Forgot about the unlocking part when I got back.

Thanks,

I was able to get into my '89 FJ62 a couple of times by poking a coat hanger in through the gap in the side of the liftgate and popping the knob up.

i personally don't like the whole WITHOUT OEM Teq CODE CUT Key's Approach ........? :confused:

1639647205445.png

7401BB70-9833-4764-950C-52E64E26450C.jpeg

2FEA7CEE-33DE-460A-BC46-F225C4B49504.jpeg

Last edited:
NOW you’ve opened a can of worms. I can see figuring lower side latches with single middle bottom latch.
Then making a single lift gate for the rear. It’s not like they don’t make strong enough gas shocks.
Hmmmm…
The other option for daily shopping is never lock the rear, I have a tire swing out so leaving it unlocked
makes it quite an effort for someone to gain access in the middle of a mall. I’ve had to use this entry
at least a dozen times since I got mine.
BTW, always have a dark tarp covering your stuff in the rear. Never leave things that can be seen.
In Finland we are already done a single lift gate. There was a company that made single gates out of glass fiber. Also only the upper part.

attachment.php

That’s clever.
I became so concerned about locking my keys in the car accidentally on long trips (did it a few times in my life) that I always carried a 2nd key in my pants pocket.
I carry the flat keys in my wallet.

For my 60s tailgate, i added a barn door latch with a padlock. Not sure if it made a difference, but no one broke into my car the 10 winters it spent south of the border.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom