Builds Limited V8 4Runner "Build" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's the deal with the comp? Its power or feed from a pressure switch... If it don't run, I would talk to ARB or the vendor cause it sounds like a bad unit.

Good to see you're getting the ball rolling again, or at least sharing with the class.

About time ****ing **** face.

Hey it's only been like 2 years.

What's the deal with the comp? Its power or feed from a pressure switch... If it don't run, I would talk to ARB or the vendor cause it sounds like a bad unit.

Good to see you're getting the ball rolling again, or at least sharing with the class.

I don't think it's the compressor. We checked and the wire from the relay to the switch doesn't have power. So, either a bad wire in the harness or maybe the relay? Didn't have much time at work to look at it but I'll get it figured out. I bought it from @Southeast Overland but it was quite a while ago so probably out of warranty.

And yes! Decided to finally get off my ass and do some stuff to the truck. Nothing earth shattering but feel like I need a project to keep myself busy.

Also planning on (probably) going to Cruiser Crawl this year so I feel like I should at least have some stuff done. I *might* get some sliders by then but for sure the on board air and drawers.

Well, let's just say I probably won't quit my day job anytime soon to be a carpenter but not terrible. Realized as I was trying to measure everything that I really didn't need the factory shelf/tray thing and it was just limiting my size of the box and drawer depth. So, I took it out. The main box is roughly the same height as the trim for the wheel well. I can still access the little storage areas on those as well. Thought about doing a larger top piece to fill in some space but decided against it due to my lack of carpentry skills and tools. So I finished the base box part today. Might still need a back piece and then I have to paint it/cover it with carpet, and build the drawers. That will be a challenge because none of the stuff came out as the same size I measured, which I attribute to my lack of skills. Anyway, we'll see how it goes. After I get the rest of the design figured out I need to make sure it's secure. (Maybe a tether or something.) Then figure out a secure mount for the tire on top of the box. I'd like to have some room on top with the tire for other stuff and maybe like a fridge or something at some point?

IMG_7624.JPG
IMG_7626.JPG
IMG_7627.JPG
IMG_7628.JPG
IMG_7629.JPG

Glad I'm not the only one with ponies and barbies residing in the back seats.

Don't know your plans, but a simple slide for the drawers, is a couple strips of small moldings tack to the bottom and some candle wax to help them slide

Glad I'm not the only one with ponies and barbies residing in the back seats.

Dude so many. There is always at least two or three stowaways in there just hanging out.

Don't know your plans, but a simple slide for the drawers, is a couple strips of small moldings tack to the bottom and some candle wax to help them slide

It's just like a strip of plastic? Or? I'm not really familiar with that method. I bought some slides when I was getting all the other stuff from home depot. Not sure what the kind was but they seem pretty sturdy. I was planning on putting some spare parts back there in the drawers (like CV axle and maybe tie rod?) and tools so I def want to make sure it can handle the weight. The drawers are deep too so I don't know how much they are going to weigh on their own.

Haven't had any time to work on the truck but I might get out there some this weekend. Do I need to put a piece on the back of the box? Didn't think about that in the original design since it's backed up against the seat. It seems pretty sturdy how it is but I plan to anchor the box down to the floor and then anchor the spare to it so.... Anybody out there a slightly more qualified carpenter than myself?

I want to use these cool latches that I saw some other people using when I was Google-ing. Seems kind of pricey though and I don't think they really need to lock? I mean they're inside the truck.

latches.JPG

It's just like a strip of plastic? Or? I'm not really familiar with that method. I bought some slides when I was getting all the other stuff from home depot. Not sure what the kind was but they seem pretty sturdy. I was planning on putting some spare parts back there in the drawers (like CV axle and maybe tie rod?) and tools so I def want to make sure it can handle the weight. The drawers are deep too so I don't know how much they are going to weigh on their own.

I have a lot of weight in there, only draw back is hills, the draw wants to slide out.
just a couple of wood strips.

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

@Sam Stewart you know you can come on up any weekend and I can help you work on the rig. I know a thing or two :p

Haven't had any time to work on the truck but I might get out there some this weekend. Do I need to put a piece on the back of the box? Didn't think about that in the original design since it's backed up against the seat. It seems pretty sturdy how it is but I plan to anchor the box down to the floor and then anchor the spare to it so.... Anybody out there a slightly more qualified carpenter than myself?

I want to use these cool latches that I saw some other people using when I was Google-ing. Seems kind of pricey though and I don't think they really need to lock? I mean they're inside the truck.

View attachment 1505926

The paddle latches are nice and true I don't think I ever locked them but you need to plan for them before you put the box together or you will have to get creative like I did for the latch to hold. And yes I would put a back piece to completely tie in the top remember you need to consider having this box and contents stay in place in the event of an accident or a roll over.

Here is my build that I did in my 80 Series: Cargo Drawer / Sleeper

You know how to build things out of wood? Might have to take you up on that. I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Sure do. And my dad has a woodworking shop 3 miles from my house.

The paddle latches are nice and true I don't think I ever locked them but you need to plan for them before you put the box together or you will have to get creative like I did for the latch to hold. And yes I would put a back piece to completely tie in the top remember you need to consider having this box and contents stay in place in the event of an accident or a roll over.

Here is my build that I did in my 80 Series: Cargo Drawer / Sleeper

Man your setup is so nice!! I definitely don't have that kind of skill to have all those moving pieces. I see where you used the same kind of latch. Does it just have a notch in the wood that it latches onto or did you put a piece of metal there? (Like the striker part.) That is one thing I was trying to figure out. At first I was thinking those latches would go in the middle of the drawer but then they wouldn't have anything to latch onto.

Having everything secure for a roll over or crash has already crossed my mind. I think I'm going to use some turnbuckles to secure the box to the existing tie downs in the back of the truck. There are 4 so it will be rock solid if I do that.

Thanks, I took wood shop in 9th grade. :p
Definitely a solid approach using the turnbuckles to the existing latches. But consider adding tie-downs to the top or sides of your box so you can tie more stuff down to the box.
I am trying to remember but I don't think there was a metal strike that came with the latch, I believe it just catches on the wood but maybe if you order a nicer latch it will come with a strike?
The cargo box sleeper lives on in my best friends 80 series since I parted mine out. Him and his girlfriend loved the sleeper on their last Baja trip camping out on secluded beaches on the Sea of Cortez.

Thanks, I took wood shop in 9th grade. :p
Definitely a solid approach using the turnbuckles to the existing latches. But consider adding tie-downs to the top or sides of your box so you can tie more stuff down to the box.
I am trying to remember but I don't think there was a metal strike that came with the latch, I believe it just catches on the wood but maybe if you order a nicer latch it will come with a strike?
The cargo box sleeper lives on in my best friends 80 series since I parted mine out. Him and his girlfriend loved the sleeper on their last Baja trip camping out on secluded beaches on the Sea of Cortez.

Yeah I plan on having tie down locations on the box itself and also I am going to build a mount for my spare tire to attach to the top of the box.

Soooooooooooooo I know I've been talking about sliders for years now but I was just having a hard time deciding on which ones. Also the shipping ranging between ~$100-$250 was hard to stomach. Finally decided to pull the trigger on some weld on sliders. After a lot of consideration I decided I really didn't care if they could be removed because it's unlikely I would ever take them off for any reason. Also, I have access to the body shop here at work and we have all the welding/painting/etc equipment. I'm going to have them to the install for sure because my welding skills are even more non-existent than my carpentry skills.

I ordered from the same company that I ordered my cage for my rock crawler from. Their stuff was really good quality and everything fit well. Also they are very reasonable on price. Paid $310 shipped.

Found the pics from my ARB compressor install. Didn't use the plate to mount it because I didn't read that part of the directions somehow so it's just mounted straight to the apron/inner fender.

ARB 2.JPG
ARB 3.JPG
ARB 4.JPG
ARB 5.JPG

Hard to see in that last pic but I actually routed the harness through the factory wire harness grommet under there. It was a pain to do but I think worth it in the end for keeping everything sealed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom