Builds Limited V8 4Runner "Build" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, since I'm officially taking over the wife's DD, I figured I would start a "build" thread. It's not going to be so much a "build" as a rambling, thoughts, opinions, etc thread. Plans for now are below. My basic goal with this truck is to be a DD, weekend wheeler, and family camping vehicle.

Stats:
Galactic Gray 2008 4Runner Limited V8
Full-time 4WD
XREAS
CDL
no air suspension
no ATRAC
currently just under 100k miles

Immediate Plans:
ToyTec 3" lift level kit (spacers for now so I can keep the XREAS, already ordered)
ToyTec Front diff drop kit (already ordered)
Nitto Terra Grappler in either a 275/70/18 or 285/65/18 (The 275 is a true 33" at about 10.8" wide, where the 285 is a 32.5" by ~11.2")
Spare tire relocate to inside the cargo area (33 won't fit in stock location), something like this since there are no 3rd row seat mount points to utilize:
91089151_L.jpg

Future Plans:
Sliders, I like the White Knuckle ones but they are all pretty similar
ARB (or TJM, or ???) on board air, most likely hard mount in the engine bay
Removable sleeping platform (so the back seat can still be utilized when the platform is not in use)
Skids... def gonna need some of those.
Front bumper, probably Shrockworks
Or, maybe a hidden winch mount?
Winch, see above...
Rear bumper w/ tire carrier

Pics (I mean, what good is a thread with NO pictures???):

"Flexing"
4Runner flexing.JPG

Posing with some solid axle bros:
4Runner posing.JPG

Obligatory ACC plug:
IMG_1160.JPG

Dirty after playing at GSMTR:
IMG_1195.JPG

Nice color, looking forward to your build!

Thanks. Don't know how much of a build it will be compared to my last truck. I'm really looking forward to it though. Being able to just hop in and go is gonna be great!!!

Hey, I know that 80 :D. Will have to bookmark/subscribe/ whatever we do on the new forum to get alerts, to this.

Hey, I know that 80 :D. Will have to bookmark/subscribe/ whatever we do on the new forum to get alerts, to this.

Yeah your 80 made a cameo or two...

Don't be in too much of a hurry on the updates. This will be slow going for sure.

Thinking about mounting the air compressor similar to this (borrowed from the old google):

69542d1344950126-arb-twin-air-compressor-bracket-5th-gen-4runner-137smaller.jpg

There is a huge empty spot behind the air cleaner. Also seems there are some pre-threaded holes there that I could possibly use to mount. I am not really crazy about drilling holes in the truck so fabbing up a bracket sounds a lot better to me. I'm thinking some rubber washers to help isolate vibration between the bracket and the inner fender should do the trick.

I've seen it installed there in the same spot on a FJ, same compressor too, seems like a great spot for it

I've seen it installed there in the same spot on a FJ, same compressor too, seems like a great spot for it

Yeah there is a ton of room right there behind the air box. That's not the actual compressor I'm looking at though. This is the one I'm thinking about getting. As you can see it mounts on the bottom so I am thinking I can modify the bracket or make a custom bracket to use existing threaded mounting holes.

http://www.southeastoverland.com/in...ct_id=313&virtuemart_category_id=99&Itemid=33

ckma12_a.jpg

Edit: Found a better picture of that compressor mounted in that location:

64246d1337048382-t4runner13-build-arb-oba.jpg

From this guy's build thread over on T4R:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/115456-t4runner13-build.html

Last edited:
The timing of this thread is perfect. I've been considering selling my 60 at the end of the year to get one of these. I can only afford one vehicle right now and although my 60 is amazing offroad, its severely lacking in MPG's and "get in and go" daily driver reliability. (I spend more time tinkering on it than I do taking it places)

After getting back home from a 3,700mi roadtrip a few weeks ago, my vehicle goals have started shifting from more offroad focused short distance trips, to milder offroading and long distance travel; and from what I can tell, a 4th Gen 4Runner seems to fit my needs better than pretty much anything else. (price, low mileage, space, mpg, reliability, aftermarket support)

I'm looking forward to seeing how yours comes along in the next several months!

The timing of this thread is perfect. I've been considering selling my 60 at the end of the year to get one of these. I can only afford one vehicle right now and although my 60 is amazing offroad, its severely lacking in MPG's and "get in and go" daily driver reliability. (I spend more time tinkering on it than I do taking it places)

After getting back home from a 3,700mi roadtrip a few weeks ago, my vehicle goals have started shifting from more offroad focused short distance trips, to milder offroading and long distance travel; and from what I can tell, a 4th Gen 4Runner seems to fit my needs better than pretty much anything else. (price, low mileage, space, mpg, reliability, aftermarket support)

I'm looking forward to seeing how yours comes along in the next several months!

Awesome. Yeah we love ours. I've been trying to wrestle it away from the wife basically since we bought it. The 4th gen is really just a well built vehicle. One of the best along with the LCs in my opinion. And I've owned a LOT of Toyotas. The 2UZ V8 is one of the best engines Toyota has ever built as well. Virtually problem free in my experience. The V6 is good as well, although I like the V8 much better. If you do end up with a V6 they are selectable 4WD where ours is full time like the GXs and 100s. So, I imagine they get marginally better fuel economy since you can run around in 2WD on the road. Ours does pretty well and I have been surprised by getting around 20 on the interstate a few times. That will change when the 33s go on though.

The aftermarket support is pretty good from what I have found. There are lots of options for lifts, sliders, bumpers, etc, and even long travel suspensions and control arms if you really want to get crazy. The front suspension is basically the same between the 4Runner, GX, FJ Cruiser, and Tacoma so that helps with the aftermarket.

I have been reading a good bit on other forums like T4R.org, and a few others. Most of the "builds" from what I have seen are all mall crawlers. Lots of LEDs, trim "upgrades", stereo stuff, and wheel/tire threads. There are some that are more extreme like solid axle swaps and stuff like that. For the most part I haven't seen a lot of threads about actual wheeling. I want my truck to be functional. That is the first and foremost thing. Also, I plan to drive it on the street a lot more than on the trail so it needs to retain it's on street manners.

I'll do my best to document. I tend to have a hard time stopping and taking pictures while I'm working so I have to be conscious of that. Someone here at the shop is going to do the lift, tires, and alignment for me so hopefully I can get some install photos. I will make sure I get lots of before and after pics and measurements. :cheers:

Install looks pretty simple. The larger aluminum spacer goes in between the spring and the strut top and the smaller one goes on top. I'm guessing that's so they can use the same spacer (the bigger one) for the 3" and 2.5" kit:

http://www.toyteclifts.com/images/stories/pdf_files/03runner07fjrearspacer.pdf

Rear just sits on top(?) of the spring and bumper:

http://www.toyteclifts.com/images/stories/pdf_files/05up.spacerinstall.pdf

Diff drop just inserts a 1" spacer between the front diff mount brackets:

http://www.toyteclifts.com/images/stories/pdf_files/05up.spacerinstall.pdf

They are. They will be the best tire you have owned.

I had the same spacer lift kit from Toytec on my old FJC. You don't need the diff drop. Just creates more hassle for fitting skids. I removed mine and my CV angles still weren't bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom