Builds Limited V8 4Runner "Build" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I haven't updated the thread in about 3 months. :doh:

Still no word on sliders or air compressor... I think I might pull the trigger on the compressor in the next week or two though. (Not like I've been saying that for 6 months or anything....)

Slacker! :flipoff2:

Awesome setup! What kind of alignment were you able to get? Do you have any bump steer?

I think the alignment was pretty close to stock except for the castor. You can only adjust it so far. I think it was like 1 degree out of spec. No bump steer that I've noticed. Funny you as that though because the 2WD 4Runner we used to have had horrible bump steer. A lot of vibration on the highway too. This truck rides incredibly well for what it is.

I was going to note as well that I had to recalibrate the steering angle and yaw rate recently. When I would turn and accelerate, especially to the right, it would activate the ABS. I finally brought it into the shop and it had a stored code for steering angle sensor. We did the zero point calibration and it has been fine since.

Nice 4th gen and nice write-up on it! Maybe I should have read it before I bought the White Knuckle sliders for my 2007 4Runner. I don't think they will be tested like you might test them so maybe they'll be ok for my truck. :confused:

Well, I haven't posted in this thread in quite a long time. Work has been keeping me very busy and some major life changes have put the truck on the back burner. Plans still in the works below. I don't know what the time line is but hopefully I will be able to start making some progress in the next few months.

On board air - still thinking the small ARB under the hood
Front bumper - I like the schrockworks no hoop version
Sliders - After much thought I decided I'm going to get weld on sliders. Not sure which brand.

Trips!! I have been on a couple of trips to north Georgia that I will try to post some pics of. These were just day trips with a couple of trucks. There has been some talk of a Windrock trip in April so I am def going to try to go to that.

Hey y'all. Still alive. Just haven't had any time to mess with the truck. I bought a motorcycle and sold it, and bought the 85 and spent a little money fixing stuff on it. I think the 85 is going to be sold because I just don't have time or space to mess with it. I haven't done anything else on the "build" lately. I have taken a couple of quick day trips to North Georgia. Here's a couple pics from the last time I went.

Tray 3.JPG
Tray 4.JPG
Tray 5.JPG
Tray 6.JPG

Tray 2.JPG

I still plan to get sliders and an air compressor sometime. Maybe a birthday or Christmas present to myself.

Bumper is an eventuality but probably not until at least next year.

Hey so I'm still alive. It's been a crazy couple of years but I'm ready to get back to work on the truck finally.

I ordered an ARB compressor, hose/air up kit, and a deflator kit. Hopefully will install some time in the next couple of weeks (I'll take lots of pics and document).

So, I also plan on ordering some sliders. I have thought about weld on or bolt on. I had planned on weld on but I don't think I'll be doing anything too crazy so I'm not worried about flex so much. I know weld on is cheaper but then I have to worry about install and paint/powder etc. So, I'm going to do some more research but if anyone has recommendations or if there's any new stuff that's good I'm interested in hearing about it.

Glad to see your still alive bud. And good to see you're easing back into things. So you planning to hard mount the compressor under the hood or keep it mobile?

We should try to plan a trip up to GMP sometime soon. Wish ACC still had the Family Reunion in the fall, would be good to see everybody.

Welcome back!! Need some extended travel icon 2.0 shocks for the rear? :p

Glad to see your still alive bud. And good to see you're easing back into things. So you planning to hard mount the compressor under the hood or keep it mobile?

We should try to plan a trip up to GMP sometime soon. Wish ACC still had the Family Reunion in the fall, would be good to see everybody.

Yeah man. I talked to a couple of other guys about going to GMP recently. Schedule has been too crazy. Sometime in the next couple of months for sure.

Compressor is going to be hard mounted under the hood next to the air box.

Welcome back!! Need some extended travel icon 2.0 shocks for the rear? :p

Do I??? I don't know!!

So, I also plan on ordering some sliders. I have thought about weld on or bolt on. I had planned on weld on but I don't think I'll be doing anything too crazy so I'm not worried about flex so much. I know weld on is cheaper but then I have to worry about install and paint/powder etc. So, I'm going to do some more research but if anyone has recommendations or if there's any new stuff that's good I'm interested in hearing about it.

I created an account a couple years ago just to ask you a question about tire size/lift/spacers and thought I might be able to repay with an opinion/experience with sliders.

My first build (2001 Pathfinder) I went with Rocky Road Supersliders. I liked how "tucked" they were to the body and that I could just bolt them on one afternoon in my garage. They were stout and were wheeled moderately hard over quite a few years.

My current build (2006 T4R) I wanted sliders that would put me further away from rocks/stumps and had a slight rear kickout (that I thought was the only thing missing on the RRO sliders). I went with Stubbs HD-SKO sliders that are weld-on. I thought they fit my wishes, could be welded by my friend, and I could cut them off if they really needed be removed in the future (it's a 4 year build plan and a truck I hope to own for another 8 years, so I hope this doesn't happen). I've only truly tested them on one run so far, but they were great over a couple doozie rocks.

Anyways, I had hoped to help repay you (even just a little) for helping kickstart my build by offering up my slider experiences. Good luck, can't wait to see what you go with!

Here is a great comparison of the two types (HD-SKO on left and RRO on right):
fV5lh3PiapD6DlJFzN4CLnC9mifDtbJU1fKD1th1HJDwuE2j6limJfXoK33E87sbO5vpAKbW6ULmew=w1366-h768-rw-no

Let me know if I can send any other pics or info on either of these options...or if my links/photos didn't work (not experienced posting on this forum).

Does the SD-SKO shown in the above pic can fit the 4th gen right out of the box? Even though they're for the 4th gen, i assume they're the same length for the 4th gen as well..

I haven't had a chance to look into them yet but I have seen a number of the weld on sliders list multiple years and generations.

Hey y'all!! I'm not dead and neither is this thread!!

I installed the ARB compressor (have to find the pics on my phone) and it doesn't work! So not sure what I did wrong but it's in there.

I have also been lamenting over my lack of storage space sure to having my spare tire in the back of the truck. So, I'm gonna build some drawers! Kinda mocked up everything the other night. Going to get some measurements this weekend and start on them. I'll post up a breakdown once I get them done. Here's the mock up with the tire on top of the shelf (mine has the cargo management system):

IMG_7545.JPG
IMG_7548.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom