Light Modifications - For FAQ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is TreerootCO's install of side Marker lights from Mot

attachment.php

In the same thread he discusses how to make the side turn signal blink

what you want extra credit?

:flipoff2:

I searched the 80 FAQ for days trying to find info on LED mods. The search engine isn't specific to find "LED" or "LED*" because the search string is too short. Romer has light FAQs all over so I was just linking the ones I used in my search.

For refernce, here is a great article from an Australian Magazine comparing driving lights

It takes a bit to download.

Thanks for the article, I enjoyed it a lot and confirmed some of our own experiences.

Unfortunately they didn't include the hard to find #8012 80 Racing lamps from PIAA which are the only ones from this brand which deserve to be on the same league as the Lightforce halogen bulb based lamps (they had nothing to do with the much hyped junk PIAA sell now).

Here are pics of the leds I installed in the overhead lights, and the rear speaker locations. These lights are under cabinet lights from Ikea.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mine came with a rear cargo light. Japanese spec. They came with all the goodies.

So the 'map' light will come on whenever any door is open, right? No way to override it to keep it dark if you want to sit with the door open (like to work on it)?

I guess adding another switch?

Cool idea, thanks for sharing.

I posted this modification again because I didn't want the link to the original post to become inactive as it sometimes does and wanted to edit the post and add another picture.

George

So the 'map' light will come on whenever any door is open, right? No way to override it to keep it dark if you want to sit with the door open (like to work on it)?

I guess adding another switch?

Cool idea, thanks for sharing.
Correct you will have to add another switch to shut off the map light as it will be on all the time the door is open. This has not been a problem since I have LED's in all the lights and they don't draw much. Its a big improvement to have the front of the cab illuminated when the doors open. My wifes 98 RAV-4 has a map light that has a DOOR-ON-OFF switch assembly that looks like it will fit into the Cruiser but I have been too lazy to confirm this, if it will fit it would solve this problem with a OEM look.

George

it would be nice to have the map light work "correctly"... with the doors if wanted.

Rear Bumper Lights

Custom Hella 50W fog light addition to a Bumpitoffroad bumper build. I paid $130 on E-bay (2000 Camry fog from Snappylights) and Mike added the pocket and modified stock mount for only $100 (2hr labor) extra. Will wire them for manual switching on the dash when I get time.
Bumper end on.jpg

behind grille light bar, mounts to frame rails into existing bolt holes. Recently added Satoshi Mod grille..........
DSCN1826.jpg
DSCN1835.jpg

Toyota Yaris side marker signals......
DSCN2140.jpg
DSCN1826.jpg
DSCN1835.jpg
DSCN2140.jpg

Last edited:
do the lights affect cooling? seems they would block quite a bit of airflow

I like the look of those Yaris lights better than the OEM 80 lights actually. Nice!

do the lights affect cooling? seems they would block quite a bit of airflow

Have no issues at all, the lights are about 3" forward of anything, and all the plastic is cut out of the grille so its open.

FX-R projector retrofit
IMG_9419.jpg

I'm not that bright (pun might've been intended) when it comes to cars...do you have a thread detailing where you got the retrofit gear from and/or the process for install?

Is it as easy as just ordering the housing and projectors and then swapping out the OEM setup? (do you need a new connector to plug the projectors into?).

Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom