Adding JDM side marker lights and turn signal mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

treerootCO

Where are my keys?!
Threads
Website
home.comcast.net
The other day I discovered the FZJ80 had a blind spot...enough of that. I ordered the crystal side markers and turn signals from mot. I also read up on why Toyota decided not to make the side turn signals blink. Christo recommended just adding an dual filament plug to the side markers so that is what I did.
DSCF3977.jpg
DSCF3979.jpg

Last edited:
Using mot's measurements I taped off where to cut. The duct tape is just there to protect the metal if I slipped with the cutoff wheel. To align it with the truck I measured up 17cm on the door as well as the fender and drew the line from there.
DSCF3962.jpg
DSCF3964.jpg
DSCF3970.jpg

Last edited:
I put a dual filament 1157 bulb in the side marker housing. It is a running/marker light and a turn signal that can be seen from the side.

Pic 1: Crystal clear side and turn signal with the ARB bumper
Pic 2: Night view of the turn signal - all three light - side light, turn signal, and ARB turn signal lights up with turn indicator.
Pic 3: Night view from the driver's seat. Parking light
Pic 4: Night view from the driver's seat. Turn signal light
Side 1.jpg
Side 2.JPG
Side 3.JPG

Last edited:
The wiring is easy enough to run through the fender. If you reach inside there are access holes that help to feed the wiring through. The last pic is where I tied all the wiring together. Two leads from the new side markers and a jumper from the front turn to the side turns. I will probably swap out the dual filament plug with an OE brake/running light plug later. These were from a GM and they fit but not great. All the signals flash and the running lights work on the side turn signals.
DSCF3976.jpg
DSCF3973.jpg

Last edited:
in Borat voice: "IS A NICE! I LIKE!"

So what was Mr. T's reasoning for not making the side markers blink?

Good job! That was a clean install. Mot gave me those measurements when I was installing my side markers. The 80 really has a blind spot and those side markers are a big help when changing lanes.
fronttire.JPG
afterPSside.JPG

Hey Mike,

It was so long ago that I sent off your stuff I almost forgot about it!:D

Nice looking rig and a cool write-up!

Thanks again!

Mot :)

An observation and a question....

I just installed my OEM side markers (thanks Mot!!), and for the record the holes had to be slightly larger than Mot's and Treeroot's (approximately 1mm higher and 2-3mm longer). Perhaps different manufacturing runs of the lights use different parts? The adjustment was pretty easy, so no harm/no foul.

My question is this - I installed the lights, and they are holding, but I expected a "click" when they were flush with the body. But if I put too much force on the sheet metal, it (temporarily) dents inward. Is there a trick to keeping it in its present shape while pushing on the lenses? I can't reach the lens from inside the fender, so that's not an option.

I even tried keeping the tab bent inward (using a long screwdriver), but it didn't "click" and I don't think there's any real force on the rubber gasket.

I'm concerned that the fixtures are going to pop out under any kind of abuse.

This problem is going to be compounded if/when I eventually rhino-line the whole body.

Any thoughts?

Does the corner blinker have a 'cornering light' that shines to the side when the turn signal is selected?

Iron Yuppy,

I just got my markers from Mot last week so I can't be of any real help until I install mine but I would have guessed they would be a little tighter fitting. However I suppose this is a trade off with getting them off if you need to change the bulb as you can't get to them from the fender side.

I have a JDM truck,, but my side markers are real old orange faded and would like the clear upgrade,,, my question if you dont mind is relative to the corner flicker, I have seen a few different types here, on my JDM truck its only a park light no flicker on some US trucks I have seen its only a flicker then I see the lense with the ornage bit on it above, does this incorporate both, I have also seen the totaly clear corner is that only a flicker ?, Im keen to get rid of the orange but not sure about that corner lense
MOT ?

So what was Mr. T's reasoning for not making the side markers blink?

curious about that too. i rewired mine to blink and stay on.

also what blind spot are you talking about? do you mean you have a blind spot the light illuminates or that there is a blind spot for other drivers?

I have a JDM truck,, but my side markers are real old orange faded and would like the clear upgrade,,, my question if you dont mind is relative to the corner flicker, I have seen a few different types here, on my JDM truck its only a park light no flicker on some US trucks I have seen its only a flicker then I see the lense with the ornage bit on it above, does this incorporate both, I have also seen the totaly clear corner is that only a flicker ?, Im keen to get rid of the orange but not sure about that corner lense
MOT ? 02-22-09 06:25 PM

Since there is no harness in place for US spec models it depends on how you wire it. I plan on it acting just as turn signal but if you can do either or both. However, I think you may need a dual filiment bulb to get it to function as both a parking light and turn signal.

Since there is no harness in place for US spec models it depends on how you wire it. I plan on it acting just as turn signal but if you can do either or both. However, I think you may need a dual filiment bulb to get it to function as both a parking light and turn signal.

If you want it to act as both a side marker and turn signal it can be done with a single filament bulb, you'll just have a slightly different flash pattern day and night.

The daytime pattern will be "off, on, off, on. . . ." whereas the nighttime pattern will be "on, off, on, off. . . ." You can tap into the wiring for either (or both) at the front corner and just run it back to the side markers.

This thread should help: Turn signal wiring

My question is this - I installed the lights, and they are holding, but I expected a "click" when they were flush with the body. But if I put too much force on the sheet metal, it (temporarily) dents inward. Is there a trick to keeping it in its present shape while pushing on the lenses? I can't reach the lens from inside the fender, so that's not an option.

I even tried keeping the tab bent inward (using a long screwdriver), but it didn't "click" and I don't think there's any real force on the rubber gasket.

I'm concerned that the fixtures are going to pop out under any kind of abuse.
IY,

I've never had the OEM/amber markers, but when I removed my crystal clear lense for the pictures posted above (and put it back in) it didn't exactly "click", either. I was a bit troubled then as well, but I grabbed it and wiggled it in all directions, but it did not come loose, so I just never worried about it. And of course, I've never had any issues with it/them coming off.

I'll try to see if I can try it with the amber/OME ones today and see if there's a click.

Iron Yuppy,

I just got my markers from Mot last week so I can't be of any real help until I install mine but I would have guessed they would be a little tighter fitting. However I suppose this is a trade off with getting them off if you need to change the bulb as you can't get to them from the fender side.
When removing you either push the lense assy on one direction (can't remember if it matters which direction or how the tabs are designed, but to the direction (if it matters) so that the other tab woulld clear the opening of the hole to allow you to pull the lense off/out, OR use a butter knife and do something similar with the tab(s) so you can pull it out.

MOT ?
AFAIK the side markers act as blinkers only, only turining on and blink(fliker?) when you turn your blinkers on. But I'm not 100%. I'll check it also.

I have the OEM lenses now, but out of the clear/crystal clear ones. I'll try to get more of them in since there seems to be some more demand for these.

curious about that too. i rewired mine to blink and stay on.

also what blind spot are you talking about? do you mean you have a blind spot the light illuminates or that there is a blind spot for other drivers?

Again, I don't know how the OEM one is set up, but "PERSONALLY" (Not at all implying my thinking is superior or anything like that though!!) I would rather have it stay off while not in use and have them blink/flash when I turn it on because that should get people's attention better than having it on and then start flashing. JMHO though!

If you want it to act as both a side marker and turn signal it can be done with a single filament bulb, you'll just have a slightly different flash pattern day and night.

The daytime pattern will be "off, on, off, on. . . ." whereas the nighttime pattern will be "on, off, on, off. . . ." You can tap into the wiring for either (or both) at the front corner and just run it back to the side markers.

This thread should help: Turn signal wiring
Hi Boyd!!
How are ya?

My kids are getting ready for school now (7:00am on Tue. here), but I'll try to play with the markers this morning, sometime after they leave!

THANKS!!

Mot :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom