Let's swap a motor and do some other stuff to a 60.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Screenshot_20220716-091222_GPS Speedometer.jpg

Next week I'll hit 100 in it :)

Kind of cool to see the speedo needle WAY past 85. Lol.

Last edited:
Wow! How does it handle at that speed?
Surprisingly it wasn't as white knuckled of a ride as I was prepared for. Truck felt stable. Kind of figured body panels would just start flying off at 90 but they didn't. Ha. Straight and flat section of road....not sure I'd want to make any slight turns at those speeds with this thing :)

Unfortunately you're seeing that correctly :(
Great thread and build! Very interesting to learn about this swap, my 2F is climbing towards 300k...

Intersted in these bulbs, hopefully someone will mod the holley bulb to fit the Kioto housing :)

Great thread and build! Very interesting to learn about this swap, my 2F is climbing towards 300k...

Intersted in these bulbs, hopefully someone will mod the holley bulb to fit the Kioto housing :)
This truck has turned out to be so far above my expectations, I’m still in shock about how much I am in love with it. I’ve driven it nearly every day for 6 months. There’s not any other truck I want to drive in my collection. I feel bad for them :(

The Holley bulb is made by Morimoto. I’m sure they have a bulb for the Koito light but it’s more about the optics of the glass and all that good stuff. They’re very very nice lights...getting to use them now in the AM when it’s dark and I couldn’t be happier with them.

We did a customers FJ62 with them....running all 4 on low beam and then all 4 on high beam. Took a little work to make it happen but it was well worth it.
20220830_101711.jpg
20220831_162058.jpg
20220831_151820.jpg
20220902_070401.jpg
20221010_071223.jpg

When we started on this truck at the beginning of the year, we found a ton of dirt in the frame....we messed around with trying to use a vacuum to get out some of the packed in dirt but I knew we would need to flush it out. Last week we used our pressure washer and a trick 90 degree attachment to really blast that frame clean. We must have dropped the weight of the truck by 10 pounds.....we got a ton out. A crazy amount of rocks....some of them kind of big. Trying to figure out how all that dirt got in there...this truck doesn’t appear to be a hard core offroader. There was also a lot of rust flakes :(

20221012_090019.jpg
20221012_104547.jpg
20221012_104321_1.jpg
20221012_104525_1.jpg

20221012_104328.jpg

So the question became how to slow this rust in the frame down. On our body off restorations, it’s easy....clean, clean, clean again then slop in some Master Series rust sealer and drag a rag thru the frame rails....back and forth, back and forth. Lots. Body wasn’t coming off the 60 and without the large openings in the frame, pulling some rags thru wasn’t going to work.

Decided to give this a try.....
20221020_111510.jpg

Neat stuff and good reviews. I used 4 cans, 2 per each rail. Access was good thru all the holes. I was going to tape off the holes that I wasn’t using but I didn’t....just let it fly.

I attached a TIG filler rod to the spray tube that comes with the can....helped to guide it where I wanted it to go.
20221020_164750.jpg

I also put a piece of orange tape on the end of the tube so I would know when I was getting ready to be at the end. These things have a HUGE 360 degree spray pattern...if it was spraying outside of the frame it would be a monster of a mess. :)

Really runny fluid which is good as it should coat everywhere.....and seep in to all the areas it needs to seep. Seemed to tighten up and dry nicely. Kind of made a mess as it was running out of a few holes on the bottom of the frame. I have some black grass now :)

4 cans, 2 heavy coats.....feeling pretty good about my newly protected frame rails now :)

I did a frame off swap on a 84fj60 there was so much dirt and crap in the frame I hung the chassis up with my fork lift and went at it with pressure washer with hot water I didn't think it was all going to come out so I hung from the back first then from the front then to the back again big mouse or rat nest was in one side. Truck came from Washington state . Maybe water crossing or something like that is how it got so much in the frame..

Quick update on this project....took her off the road for a couple of weeks. Felt bad for the other trucks that were getting neglected since the 60 was getting ALL the love.

The front windshield on this truck was hammered.....barely was able to see thru it with a low in the sky sun. I’ve been on a kick replacing windshields on the older stuff lately so the 60 got put on the new windshield list. My truck had a black windshield gasket.....I was able to get all the chrome OEM stuff along with a new gasket for the chrome pieces since the rest of the truck has chrome. So cool Toyota still has this stuff. Windshield was aftermarket....I did a clear one....no green tint at the top.

I was dreading having this windshield come out. I knew what we were going to find under it.....and it wasn’t going to be good. It generally isn’t a good thing when water drips from the top of the windshield straight down INSIDE the truck :(

The start:
20221111_104940.jpg

What kept me up at night because I knew this is what we were going to find:

20221114_132131_1.jpg
20221114_132140_1.jpg
20221114_132135_1.jpg

I wanted to do a solid patch job without going too far on this project. With all the rust we encounter, we clean it, prep it and then lay on the Master Series Rust Sealer. This stuff is what miracles are made of. For the areas with holes, I used our normal trick of filling them up with fiberglass strands mixed in with the silver paint, once the holes are filled in, more silver rust sealer. Absolutely rock solid when all the coats dry. I did a little sanding to make sure things were somewhat smooth. The upper rust area was painted with some 033 paint I had.....the rust there crept beyond where the gasket would cover.
20221114_165032_1.jpg
20221114_165036_1.jpg

20221114_165041_1.jpg

Multiple coats and all holes gone.

20221117_152443.jpg
20221117_152448.jpg

New window.....amazingly clear. I’ll have to get some Llumar Air80 back on it next week to keep that UV out of the interior. Air80 is amazing stuff.....and it has that cool blue look to it.

Love the chrome trim :)
20221118_171548.jpg

Weirdo dog sitting in a weird spot.
20221118_163252.jpg

We’ve been spraying engine blocks with Cerakote lately....this is their Glacier Gold color. This 1HDT will be going in an FJ80 next year at some point. This motor is called “Goldie”.

20221118_183925.jpg
20221118_183932.jpg

This 1HDT in another corner of the shop was sprayed with Cerakote Burnt Bronze.....it’s more brown. It’s name is “Poopie”. So we have Poopie and Goldie. Poopie is going to go in a 79 series pickup at some point. It’s a gorgeous motor.....refinished much the same as the 1HZ in the 60.
20221118_193348.jpg

Exactly how I’ve felt over the last 2 weeks. I feel much better now though....especially since I’m driving the 60 again.

I’ve got to dig out the rain gutters next and seal those up.....same thing....silver sealer first, then we use a self leveling caulk that does an amazing job of keeping water out.

Looks gorgeous! I bought the OEM gasket and chrome lock strip as well, in anticipation of this project. I’ve read on here that you should install the lock strip into the gasket before it gasket+windshield goes into the truck, otherwise you won’t be able to. Is that your method?

Somewhat relevant, do you have any idea of gaskets and chrome are available for rear and cargo windows? I haven’t seen them. I’d like to remove those windows for my paint job but concerned about getting the chrome out and back in without damaging it.

Looks gorgeous! I bought the OEM gasket and chrome lock strip as well, in anticipation of this project. I’ve read on here that you should install the lock strip into the gasket before it gasket+windshield goes into the truck, otherwise you won’t be able to. Is that your method?

Somewhat relevant, do you have any idea of gaskets and chrome are available for rear and cargo windows? I haven’t seen them. I’d like to remove those windows for my paint job but concerned about getting the chrome out and back in without damaging it.
No idea on if the other trim is available....easy enough to find out though.

For sure the trim has to be in the gasket before it goes in. My guy assembled everything, then put it in the truck....went back with liquid butyl and sealed it all up between the gasket and the body and the gasket and the window. I think it’s going to be pretty well sealed....

I have been running the truck without glow plugs but started to notice the cranking time taking a little longer as we aren’t as blazing hot these days as we are during the summer in FL. Came up with a cool little out of the way spot for the fuse and solenoid to run them. Hooked it up to the choke knob....so key on, choke out for 3-5 seconds....start, choke off. Starts now like it should...

This is what we used for the fuse holder and fuse. Went with a 60A fuse for the system. So far so good.
20221117_085959.jpg
20221117_090008.jpg

Hard to see tucked in the engine compartment but this is on the firewall below the brake booster and above the starter....we pulled power off the starter so we were able to keep the wiring short.

20221118_162054.jpg

Choke light on means they’re doing their thing. Way faster starting now....much like my other diesel powered trucks. Ready for our cold FL winters :)

20221119_100005.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom