Leather Samples, Cleaning, Possible Group Buy - seat covers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mmw68

CruiserCrap.com - pimping crap for your cruiser!
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
store.cruisercrap.com
A few weeks ago I started to shop around for replacement covers for my front seats. I ordered some samples from LSeats.com, and took them to my upholstery shop I do a lot of wholesale business with, and wanted to share my findings. My intention was to order kits, and have him install them.

He took a look at them samples I brought and said he could do better. He has an OEM supplier out of Detroit, and was sure he could find a OEM match. He asked for my passenger seat, console lid. and told me to give him a week.

This is what he surprised me with a week later:
PSdone.jpg

I told him the headrest did not match. I had just had the truck detailed, the seats are clean...
He said no! and took off the head rest and gave it a proper cleaning. Now it matches great!

Usually, they don't recover the head rests, they hardly get wear, and ar a pain to recover.

Before Headrest cleaning:
File_006.jpeg

After Headrest cleaning:

headrest2.jpg

I asked him what he used, Just Tuff-Stuff and Leather conditioner. He cleaned a spot on my back seat to show me.
They use this on everything, spray on, let sit for about 45 seconds, then scrub with stuff brush and wipe off.

clean-seat.jpg

tuffstuff.jpg

Here is a shot of the Lseat samples I was sent. It's the small peice. It took them over 2 weeks to send me the samples. My upholstery guy says it's pig skin, not cow hide. Also the dying process they use is not very good. It really does not matter, it's not a good match anyway.

Here is few more pictures of the cover he made me, the middle sections and arm rest are leather,
the sides pieces are Ultraleather.

He also surprised me with a storage pocket at the front of the seat. That pocket is leather, so it had a nice feel on the inside and will give a little more then Ultraleather.

leather_samples.jpg

lseatsample.jpg
pocket.jpg
bottom.jpg

Last edited:
It looks really good, How do the prices compare to the Lseat? I know, comparing apples to oranges, but still an idea is appreciated.

I got a quote for $1500 for first two rows, installed using the Roadwire kit.

Those covers look fantastic! What's the estimated costs per row? I think the lseat front rows run $330?

Iam working on prices with him now.

Usually, he has to buy whole hides or rolls. For me he ordered just what was needed for the two front seats, and he sourced the correct clips for the Toyota seats. So I paid top dollar for materials and he will be working up some pricing for us. He is not the cheapest, Iam guessing his prices might scare off some people, but if you want OEM and great quality, made in USA kits, this would be it.

I also left him a Tan/brown steering wheel. He is sourcing a match for that too, to make an OEM style steering wheel cover. Once he has matching color material for the darker brown, it would be cool to make a two tone seat covers... like the 80 series 40th-anniversary look.

I talked to him about the following,

1. Full front row kit, with arm rests and console lid. (Head rest not included at this point)
2. Full 2nd row rear seat kit - I have to leave him my rear seats for a pattern
3. Front bottoms only, clean your tops... (should be a good match if your just needing bottoms to save $$$)
4. Steering wheel kits
5. middle console lid.
5. Grey color as well.

My neighbor, who is also a 100 owner, has a gray interior and is lending me some pieces to color match.

grey_he3adrest.jpg

Is there a store you guys have found both Lexol and the Tuff Stuff cleaner?

I have plenty of brushes but hate making multiple stops unless I have to.

Guess I'm getting old, lol...

I am interested and come to the Austin area multiple times a year so I could drop off my seats if needed.

@mmw68; if Tuff Stuff left on longer does it pull dye off and/or dry leather?

@Greenbean; Wal-Mart has both Tuff Stuff & Lexol.

@mmw68; if Tuff Stuff left on longer does it pull dye off and/or dry leather?

Iam not sure if it will pull off the dye, but my upholstery guru said 45 sec max, then scrub with brush and wipe with paper towel. I did this twice to both seats, there was lots of dirt on the paper towel, but no dye that I could see.

People are using it on vinyl LP's - WTF? Don't laugh... : STP Tuff Stuff Foaming for record cleaning? - Vinyl Engine

I also used it on the plastic trim pieces, it really cut thru the grime and did not discolor anything. Going to try my seatbelts this weekend. I was told to take the seatbelts out and pressure wash the - that seems like to much work!

Magic eraser and a bucket of water and Murphy's Oil Soap. Used gently and it works miracles, use this for my detailing business and only use aerosols if the leather is really grungy. Just remember to condition well when you're done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom