Events/Trails LCDC 6 Official Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I currently have reservations at Ansel Watrous, but I'd like to see if there is any interest in finding a dispersed camping area we can establish a small group of LCDC participants for social interaction. It would be fun to have a "cruiser camp" get get to know a few folks.

Not sure if it's appropriate to discuss locations/interest in this thread, but I'd like to throw out the suggestion as see if it gets any traction.
This is something I’d consider more so than meeting up at indoor venues. The social aspect of this trip is a big draw for me but we are inclined more than ever towards a fresh air version of getting together given the current uncertainties.

As I get closer to planning, looking into my route and all, I wonder if I'll have trouble booking hotels on the way out and home? Haven't heard anything about cancelations from the hotel once I'm in CO. I'm also skeptical to the wife buying her flight out yet. Am I crazy?

I currently have reservations at Ansel Watrous, but I'd like to see if there is any interest in finding a dispersed camping area we can establish a small group of LCDC participants for social interaction. It would be fun to have a "cruiser camp" to get to know a few folks.

Not sure if it's appropriate to discuss locations/interest in this thread, but I'd like to throw out the suggestion as see if it gets any traction.

MAP: I've updated this post with a dispersed camping map of the area for reference.

I'm at the same campground and your idea sounds great. Only glitch is that I'm dragging a 27ft airstream. Not so overlandish...ha If you find something we can get campers in, I'd join in as well.

I'm at the same campground and your idea sounds great. Only glitch is that I'm dragging a 27ft airstream. Not so overlandish...ha If you find something we can get campers in, I'd join in as well.
I'm in the same boat as you. I've had varying luck with dispersed sites... sometimes they are easily accessible and trailer friendly, and other times they are absolutely not.

If Ansel Watrous CG is open I will probably camp there since I already have the reservation, but if it doesn't open then we will likely do something dispersed

Hopefully the organizers will chime in with potential trail maps at some point, but it looks like you don't have to go too far out to find a few areas that are promising. I see an area above Pingree park bridge that looks promising. Not knowing the area makes this a little tough. Perhaps some of the locals can provide some input.

Here's a rough idea of the routes we're considering. We can't promise everything will be available but figured there's no harm in sharing so y'all can research.

As per the last email, we remain optimistic and will make a final decision by 6/15. We won't do much at all in terms of scheduling trails until late June at the earliest.

Buckhorn CanyonOld Flowers Road (FS 152) + Pingree Park (63E)
Buckhorn CanyonPingree Park (63E) + Monument Gulch (FS 135) + Greer Road (FS 154)
Red FeatherKelly Flats (FS 168)
Estes ParkRMNP Day: Baker Pass (FS 740 + FS 758) + Old Fall River Road (RMNP)
Estes ParkPole Hill (FS 122 + FS 247) + Pierson Park Road (82 + FS 119)
Buckhorn CanyonBallard Road (FS 129) + West White Pine Mountain (FS 100)
Estes ParkLong Draw Reservoir Road (FS 156)
Red FeatherDeadman Road (FS 162) + Deadman Lookout (FS 170) + Sand Creek Road (FS 336)
Red FeatherSevenmile Creek (FS 225 + FS 171 + FS 162) + Bald Mountain (FS 517 + FS 319 + FS 162)
LongmontMiddle St. Vrain (FS 114) + Coney Flats (FS 507)
Estes ParkJohnny Park Road (82E + FS 118 + 47) + Pierson Park Road (82 + FS 119)
Buckhorn CanyonMoody Hill (FS 513 + FS 132) + Crystal Mountain (FS 344)
Estes ParkStorm Mountain (FS 153) + Bear Gulch (FS 153)
LongmontBunce School Road (FS 105 + FS 203 + FS 217 + FS 216 + FS 105)

Update on camping from CO today:

Camping to open
Beginning Tuesday, camping in state parks can resume by reservation only, Polis said. Counties can decide independently if they do not want to reopen camping in state parks within their boundaries.

The state initially prohibited camping at state parks to protect smaller towns from virus exposure when tourists stopped at gas stations, grocery stores or restaurants, Polis said. With campsites reopening, he encouraged campers to get their supplies at local stores and not patronize businesses in the area where they are camping.

"As long as folks are distancing properly, camping and hiking and experiencing nature can be one of the most rewarding and least risky things we can do," Polis said.

Here's a rough idea of the routes we're considering. We can't promise everything will be available but figured there's no harm in sharing so y'all can research.

As per the last email, we remain optimistic and will make a final decision by 6/15. We won't do much at all in terms of scheduling trails until late June at the earliest.

Buckhorn CanyonOld Flowers Road (FS 152) + Pingree Park (63E)
Buckhorn CanyonPingree Park (63E) + Monument Gulch (FS 135) + Greer Road (FS 154)
Red FeatherKelly Flats (FS 168)
Estes ParkRMNP Day: Baker Pass (FS 740 + FS 758) + Old Fall River Road (RMNP)
Estes ParkPole Hill (FS 122 + FS 247) + Pierson Park Road (82 + FS 119)
Buckhorn CanyonBallard Road (FS 129) + West White Pine Mountain (FS 100)
Estes ParkLong Draw Reservoir Road (FS 156)
Red FeatherDeadman Road (FS 162) + Deadman Lookout (FS 170) + Sand Creek Road (FS 336)
Red FeatherSevenmile Creek (FS 225 + FS 171 + FS 162) + Bald Mountain (FS 517 + FS 319 + FS 162)
LongmontMiddle St. Vrain (FS 114) + Coney Flats (FS 507)
Estes ParkJohnny Park Road (82E + FS 118 + 47) + Pierson Park Road (82 + FS 119)
Buckhorn CanyonMoody Hill (FS 513 + FS 132) + Crystal Mountain (FS 344)
Estes ParkStorm Mountain (FS 153) + Bear Gulch (FS 153)
LongmontBunce School Road (FS 105 + FS 203 + FS 217 + FS 216 + FS 105)
Kelly Flats looks legit, may have to warm up for that one. :oops:

Seriously though, it's so much fun to look these up, thanks for sharing your thoughts so far.

We have a reservation at the Horsetooth Reservoir campground during the event. The county website says that the campground is currently open only for hardsided campers with internal restrooms. Nearly all other park facilities are closed. No tenting allowed for now. No restrooms available. Fortunately we’d already planned on bringing our hard-sided camper to the event.

Sounds like we may be going dispersed... Not seeing any contiguous reservations available. If anyone decides to give up their reservation and camp in Cody's backyard let me know 🙂 We're planning on tent camping, no trailer etc.

Edit: Found a spot in RMNP in Glacier Basin will see how the rest of the itinerary looks and adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
Sounds like we may be going dispersed... Not seeing any contiguous reservations available. If anyone decides to give up their reservation and camp in Cody's backyard let me know 🙂 We're planning on tent camping, no trailer etc.

Edit: Found a spot in RMNP in Glacier Basin will see how the rest of the itinerary looks and adjust accordingly.
We stayed in RMNP last summer. It was really nice, but it'll be a bit of a drive to get to the Ft. Collins area each morning.

We stayed in RMNP last summer. It was really nice, but it'll be a bit of a drive to get to the Ft. Collins area each morning.

Thats the mean reason I am leaving the camper at home. That and in the evening hanging out at the dinners with a few beers. Of course that may have changed now with COVID

Yeah, I know distance to FC is far, but looked like half the trails were Estes Park area which is close.... Will see how final plan looks, can cancel working 5 days off reservation I think.

I haven't run it but the Northern CO Funtreks book says there are basically 2 harder sections, both of which have bypasses if you prefer. One is a steep climb early on (which sounds fun to me). The other which is later in the trail is an extremely rocky section in which body damage is possible. Some others on this thread can probably comment better on that part

I haven't run it but the Northern CO Funtreks book says there are basically 2 harder sections, both of which have bypasses if you prefer. One is a steep climb early on (which sounds fun to me). The other which is later in the trail is an extremely rocky section in which body damage is possible. Some others on this thread can probably comment better on that part
If there is a bypass for The Chutes section I saw on YouTube I suspect it will get used, it looks real ticklish. If there isn’t a bypass I’ll ride with you😇

Ha..The a$$ of a 200 may be too wide for The Chutes. Even 40's look wide going through there. I'd like to see someone try though! 👀

Anyone in the Denver area going to drive up each day for the trail runs?

@tincan45 and @Kurosawa, I'm not sure I'm brave enough to take my 200 through the Chutes, at least without watching a few others do it first. It's our DD, our only vehicle, and I'm going to have to use it to pull the trailer back to Chicago when we're done. That said I read on (I think) trailsoffroad.com someone who said their group did it and included a Sequoia on 35s which made it unscathed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom