Events/Trails LCDC 6 Official Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ Summit just canceled. Not sure how that effects us, but is about the same time

FJ Summit just canceled. Not sure how that effects us, but is about the same time
I saw that also today. They were on July 15th I think.

Looks like the Directors of 'The FJ Summit' had to make a decision before the State of Colorado makes a decision to modify the current 'Safer-at-Home' order.

Most/All of the planned trails for the 'LCDC 6' are in Larimer county (Colorado).

Safer at Home Phase of COVID-19 Pandemic in Larimer County (Health)

Here's hoping that the current 'Safer-at-Home' order is modified before a final decision has to be made on the 'LCDC 6'.

1589515363865.png

There event also has a ton of people, sponsors, etc. Whereas we are a 2 man shop and a little more nimble. I’m still optimistic given we still have 2 months but like I said it might just be a slightly different format.

If we cancel...I'll be in Ouray and Telluride- hope others will join me so i don't end up one of those stories about going out alone. Colorado or bust.

Good news for campers...

Forest Service campgrounds, picnic areas in Poudre Canyon to begin reopening June 1.

The earliest any of those facilities in the Arapahoe and Roosevelt National Forests, which includes the campgrounds and picnic areas in the Poudre Canyon and on Cameron Pass west of Fort Collins, will reopen is June 1, officials said. Some closures will remain in place beyond that date to give employees time to prepare facilities, ensure they have access to proper personal protective equipment and obtain cleaning supplies, Forest Service officials said.

National forests and grasslands throughout Colorado and the surrounding states included in the Rocky Mountain Region have generally remained open for recreational use, but the campgrounds, picnic areas, restrooms and other developed sites were closed and fire restrictions were put in place April 7 by order of Jennifer Eberlien, the acting regional forester. She said that those orders will be terminated Wednesday, although fire restrictions will remain in place in most national forests and grasslands in Colorado.

1590089359012.png

We'll see whether we can all still gather this summer, but at least our CO trip looks like it's on... unlike Acadia because Maine requires a 14 day quarantine for any out of state visitors (and where exactly do visitors quarantine when the campground is closed?)

FYI I ran across this info today. It’s Massachusetts state data, and I personally found it very interesting/enlightening. Not sure if other states are publishing something similar:

https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-dashboard-may-27-2020/download

Particularly interesting:
  • Of the ~3000 deaths they’ve examined (about half of their total) >98% are those with underlying conditions (page 14)
  • 90% of the deaths are over age 60 (>95% over age 50) (page 11)
  • >4000 of the deaths (about 60%) are in long-term care facilities (page 16)
  • Average age of those who died is 82 (page 11)
For the above, the case rate seems to be similar for all adult age groups from 20-79 – about 0.015% (page 10). That would indicate it’s just as infectious and widespread for everyone, which lends validity to the notion that it’s mainly the elderly that need to be protected (basically “everyone is equally getting the virus, but it’s mostly the elderly or those with underlying conditions are dying from it”). Note that the Massachusetts data doesn't define "underlying condition" so I'm not sure if my spring hayfever counts.

Anyway, I’m not suggesting folks shouldn’t wear masks, wash hands, and take other precautions. If you do get sick, it sounds like it's miserable. And who knows what the individual states will decide to do or if other states are seeing different results. But I know I've been seeing a lot of mixed messages and I thought the above facts were worth sharing.

Hope to get to see y'all at the end of July. 🤞

What I'm interested in is how things will play into driving out? I see Florida, RI, some others have been stopping out of state plates, doing tests. Thats obnoxious. I dont think any on my route, but we'll see what happens

There have been healthy, young individuals who have died from COVID19. Others who have recovered have permanent lung damage. Others have suffered strokes at a very young age. It is tempting to dismiss this as nothing to worry about for me, but I think that is mistaken.

There have been healthy, young individuals who have died from COVID19. Others who have recovered have permanent lung damage. Others have suffered strokes at a very young age. It is tempting to dismiss this as nothing to worry about for me, but I think that is mistaken.
Don't get me wrong, I think everyone should be taking precautions, if nothing else than to help protect those who are more vulnerable. We wear masks when we go to the store and stay far away from our neighbors who are in their late 70s, for instance. I instructed my entire team at work (about 60 people) to start working from home in early March a few days before Illinois and New York (our two main US locations) announced their stay-at-home orders and have been telling them I don't want them back in the office unless absolutely necessary.

Yes young and healthy individuals do get sick and die from this. Not to minimize that but it happens with the annual flu too. For the US we're already at about 160% of the 2017-2018 flu season for comparison, so this is obviously far far more infectious than any "normal flu". I don't know if young deaths are outliers the media has focused on or if they are statistically likely scenarios. But I found the facts in the data interesting and somewhat reassuring that they probably are outliers and thus (when it comes to events like the LCDC) it's also probably reasonable for most lower risk folks to attend if everyone is taking reasonable precautions.

What I'm interested in is how things will play into driving out? I see Florida, RI, some others have been stopping out of state plates, doing tests. Thats obnoxious. I dont think any on my route, but we'll see what happens
I might have to swing through Florida on my way from Illinois to Colorado to get my family and I free tests

Seriously though I an curious to watch what happens over the next month in Wisconsin. Since their state supreme court overruled the Governor's stay-at-home order, at least in Lake Geneva (which is a vacation home location for a lot of Chicago and Milwaukee residents) apparently people are gathering freely, restaurants are open and serving customers normally indoors, shops are open, and practically nobody is wearing a mask.

Seriously though I an curious to watch what happens over the next month in Wisconsin. Since their state supreme court overruled the Governor's stay-at-home order, at least in Lake Geneva (which is a vacation home location for a lot of Chicago and Milwaukee residents) apparently people are gathering freely, restaurants are open and serving customers normally indoors, shops are open, and practically nobody is wearing a mask.

Only time will tell. I hope we don't have another surge in cases. Here in Boston, the Boston Convention and Exposition Center (like McCormick Place in Chicago) was turned into a field hospital. Our hospitals were not overwhelmed, but I get the impression it was a close run thing.

In my little suburb (population 13,900), we've had over 20 deaths, most in nursing homes.

I’m sure you saw the footage from Lake of the Ozarks here in Missouri on the nightly news. What wasn’t mentioned is that there are at least six venues like that on the lake. I’m a musician and work most of them a lot during the season. The thing is it’s not just holidays, but every nice weekend from early spring into the fall these venues are PACKED, all day and all night. Most have live music or dj’s outside as well as in an indoor venue....packed in. People from Kansas City, St Louis, Springfield, as well as out of state come for the weekend, have a blast, and then go home. In “normal” times it’s a riot to party there if you’re into that (I’m not), and a great place for me to make a living. Under the current circumstances I’m concerned what might be in store for my state around the middle / end of June. While it’s killing the wallet, I haven’t booked my band there for this season. (We normally do 12-16 shows a summer there):(

And to piggy back on my last post, and bring this back to discussing LCDC, I‘ve found myself with lots of spare time on my hands. Depending how things pan out, I may check in at the eleventh hour and see if there’s an open spot for me to make it this year. I’ve wanted to come from the beginning, but summer is a big season in my line of work. If I take a couple of weeks off I’ve got three partners not getting paid, it’s a little different this year. We shall see...

I’m sure you saw the footage from Lake of the Ozarks here in Missouri on the nightly news. What wasn’t mentioned is that there are at least six venues like that on the lake. I’m a musician and work most of them a lot during the season. The thing is it’s not just holidays, but every nice weekend from early spring into the fall these venues are PACKED, all day and all night. Most have live music or dj’s outside as well as in an indoor venue....packed in. People from Kansas City, St Louis, Springfield, as well as out of state come for the weekend, have a blast, and then go home. In “normal” times it’s a riot to party there if you’re into that (I’m not), and a great place for me to make a living. Under the current circumstances I’m concerned what might be in store for my state around the middle / end of June. While it’s killing the wallet, I haven’t booked my band there for this season. (We normally do 12-16 shows a summer there):(

Guess you could always launder money for Mexican drug cartels. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom